Which company for HDDs?

…IDE, 250+ gb, 7200rpm…

Question is:

Western Digital
Maxtor
Seagate
Other (post)

I need to upgrade storage on my house fileserver. Currently (3) 80gb Maxtors which are nearing 90% capacity.
I’d like to skip ahead and go to a full terabyte, install a PCI Ide controller card & (2-4) hdds.

tks nerds

Didn’t maxtor just buy seagate or something like that? I’ve heard alot of bad about western digital.

My seagate’s are great, nice and quiet…If you’re going to be buying a controller card, you may as well go all the way and get SATA

my father swears by seagate - after 20 years in the field.
i’ve tended to always use maxtor - cheap and seemingly reliable.
i’ve heard good things & bad things about all of them… just looking for a consensus of users.

I dont want to lose 6541604 gigs of shit cause of a problem riddled line of drives.

Good point… except for price.

That reminds me of something…

I have a Maxtor 200GB SATA. Quiet and seems to be working great.

Pretty sure compUSA had at 250GB SATA Maxtor for $60.

Knowing CompUSA they had 4 of them and they were gone by 11:30am.

waiting for Dr.Dos

i have drives from all 3 of those manufacturers. the wd and maxtor drives have been running all day every day for ~2 years without issue. the seagate ~1 year. i have 2 80mm fans blowing across them to keep them happy.

sata cables >> ide ribbons. the only reason i have an ide drive is lack of spare sata ports. i want a board that has 6-8 sata ports next.

round ide cables throughout.

(2) fans already in the side & (1) top

:smiley:

i have western digital in my comp. one is 2+yrs. and the other around 5+ yrs. and haven’t had any problems with them, ive heard good things about seagate too so i picked up a seagate drive for my g/fs comp.

WD is good, maxtor is good, seagate is middle of the road, and hitachi sucks balls.

it’s all luck…and your maint skills…

aside from that… seagate = 5yr warranty

speed = raptor = western digital

all drives have 5 years now, except oem which are 3

I always used WD no problems

ive killed so many WD its not funny

i have 3 raptors and they are great so far, plus 2 400 gig maxtors, i guess it all depends on the manu. date and who was drunk that day.

lol

Alrighty, I’ll stick with Maxtor. tks all

I’ve yet to kill a drive period… in ~10 years of ‘heavy’ computing. But, warrantys do not replace hundreds of gigs of data.

I’m looking at oem, but still, warrantys do not replace hundreds of gigs of data.

well thats why you gotta get a backup solution

:slight_smile:

i’ve considered that… but dunno of something for that amount.

plz, enlighten me

:slight_smile:

FYI to Everyone, Seagate just bought Maxtor for 2 billion dollars…

SEAGATE and Maxtor confirmed the acquisition. The deal is worth $1.9 billion. The firms said the combination will be 10-20% accretive on a cash EPS basis after the first full year of combined operations.

On the IDE end, I will give the nod to WD and Seagate, on the SCSI end, Seagate rox your sox…