Learn me external hard drives

I’m looking into a 1 or 2 TB external drive for my main lab PC, and don’t really know much about the ones out there.

Any brands/versions I should avoid? I’ve been using Maxtor 250gb untis until now but my data packs them quickly.:doh:

Maxtors are good…

I’ve alwasy been a fan of Western Digitals though. only HDD I put in my computers.

I’ve had issues with Hitachi drives and some Segates too.

I have a squad of Seagate external drives here at work and absolutely love them. I have a Western Digital at home that is ok too. I’ve had to fix a few Maxtors in the past but the PCs all had other problems as well.

Stay away from Hitachi.

One of my 3 Maxtors crashed a few months ago and my IT dept told me nothing could be saved. I was looking at the WD 1.5TB through tigerdirect and it ‘looks’ ok.

Anyone know the difference betweent he WD MyBook Office/Pro/Premium/Essential/Studio? They are all within $20 of each other…except for the the Premium (which is about 550 for 1TB)

Having worked first hand with Seagate’s development team I can’t say enough good about Seagate drives, both in reliability and quality. As far as external HDD’s go, Maxtor branded drives have Seagate HDD’s in them. Seagate / Maxtor is your best route.

x2

every WD drive I have ever had has failed.

Ditto, along with almost half of the Hitachi’s I’ve ever owned.

Edit:

Just to add, I own three Seagate FreeAgent external drives and they’re all phenomenal.

I have a WD 120GB one right now. So far so good, although I have read a lot of mixed reviews.

The 1TB My Book drive looks nice. Only about $270 and has FireWire 800. A lot of mixed reviews for this one as well.

Big cache, fastest connection your computer supports. I like Seagate fwiw

I also have no complaints about my Seagate Freeagant external hard drive.

My main desktop has a 500GB internal seagate…no problems from it…it replaced an old 40GB seagate that was working solid for 5 years straight…only went on the frizt during uninstall…had to resolder a pin on the connector side but other than that it STILL works…and i have a 500GB simpletech USB drive hooked up to this computer also…no problems from it

I ended up with two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148306

I think these should work for a while. Thanks for the replies, guys.

Not bad at all

Running one as a backup or two separate drives?

I each for two computer. One that controls the microscope camera, the other for confocal scanning

Excellent picks!

seagate and maxtor are both good.

ALSO i recomend tigerdirect over newegg. it seems they have more specials and i got most of my computer parts through them. you can also email logan and he might tell you what the best external is for the price.

cpu - q6600
vid - xfx8800gt (soon to be SLI)
ram - kingston hyper x (2gig soon to be 4gig)
MB - xfx 680i

TigerDirect isn’t too bad. They have better barebones deals that newegg. However a lot of their stuff is refurb whereas newegg deals in mostly new stuff… And I can’t get over how fast newegg ships out their stuff.

i’m a fan of newegg myself. they seem to have pretty good deal and the shipping has always been great.

this is kind of a null point seeing as though he already bought the drives though.