What brand of Hard-drives do you prefer? *poll*

It’s funny how Maxtor is absolute shit when it comes to HD however I’ve had a couple that are still going strong after all these years (maybe a decade?)

My current box (Dell XPS420) came with a Seagate 500GB but that’s quickly filling up.

So I’m in the market for a new HD (specifically 1TB or 1.5TB, 7200rpm, 32mb cache, SATA2) when/if they go on sale during x-mas.

Right now they’re floating around $120+tax for a 1.5TB

So what’s everyone’s preference on brand?

Western Digital for sure. Those drives are rock solid.

I’ve got 5, 2TB Toshiba’s that have been in my NAS for about two years without any issues. I got them for only $95 each from TigerDirect.

I picked up a 1TB Seagate Low Power for around 90 a few months ago. If you’re strictly planning on using the HD mainly for storage purposes consider paying the few extra bucks and grab a low power. No complaints whatsoever with the Seagate so far.

2TB for < $95 a couple years ago? http://www.gonrad.com/200911/bsflag.gif

Yea I’m leaning towards a 1.5GB WD; thought i read something about Seagates having firmware issues and whatnot.

And yea it’s just for data.

Yeah I’ve read about it too but haven’t really had any issues so far. But I’d be happy with WD too.

See if WD has a low power version though. It may just be a tiny bit more but it seems worth it to me at least to pitch that extra.

How can I vote for “Not Seagate”? I want that option. Title it exactly that. Worst fucking hard drive maker there is.
I’ve had a WD fail on me back in the day, after many years of use, and the Tosh on my Dad’s laptop died, but that’s because the newb made his laptop overheat by doing n00bish things. He literally cooked the thing.

Actually, to be perfectly honest, I’ve not had problems with my internal Seagates. I think their enclosures are just retarded. If you’re going internal, I wouldn’t be too worried with any brand, but never buy any external. Buy an internal hard drive, an an enclosure with active cooling, there are some really nice ones out there, although the internal + enclosure will be a bit more than a comparable external. Worth it in the end imo, as you get to keep your data.

I got them at that price because there was a manufacturer’s rebate and a super special deal if you bought the NAS from them aswell. The NAS was like $1500 on it’s own anyways.

I don’t remember what the normal price was on them.

I have a Western Digital Green 1.5TB, enclosed in a Mediasonic HF2 4-bay. It is extremely quiet and fast enough for my storage needs!

LACIE is quality. try them out too

but you can never go wrong with Toshiba
stick with names

LACIE just makes enclosures i do believe, not the actual drive. If you opened up one of their externals you can bet money on it will be packed with a seagate or fujitsu.

Could be wrong though, but I have never seen an actual LACIE drive, ive been in the field for many many years.

your completely correct my friend.
i have a seagate in mine.
never had a problem and the enclosure is solid.

2TB drives didn’t exist 1 year ago, let alone 2 years ago. what the hell is wrong with you people

does anyone run windows off of SSD yet?

Huh? I guess I bought drives that travelled through time…

I run my XP Pro off of a 60gb SSD on my laptop. It’s absolutely beautiful. I’m still amazed by how much faster the bootup is than a regular drive.

^ you find that there is any extension in battery life with a SSD? Since it doesnt have to spin any parts and blah blah, should be some kind of difference.

gay thread.

Err… I have NO clue. I bought this laptop with the SSD already in it, and I only really used it on battery on my flight to Korea. I was however very impressed compared to my previous laptop. I didn’t get the extended battery on it, cause I hate how it sticks out, so I just have the basic one.
I C&P’d this from my order confirmation.
Latitude E6500 Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz, 3M L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
256MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M
8X DVD ROM Drive
Back-lit Keyboard
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz (2 DIMMs)
90W AC Adapter
Internal 56K Modem
125V Power Cord
6 Cell Primary Battery
64 GB Solid State Drive, 2.5MM
15.4 inch Ultra Sharp Widescreen WUXGA Laptop Screen

On my flight to Korea, I got to sit next to the VP of Sales & Special Markets for Centric, Stoptech & Powerslot. I watched Wolverine on my laptop with him, and I still had more than half my battery left. Then I met some Japanese chick at LAX, and I watched 2 1hr episodes of this Jap drama that I had on my drive. It still had battery left after that, so I was really impressed. I got close to 5 hours of use out of it without a charge.

who makes your laptop?
I love my Toshiba, I would never go back to HP.