IT NERDS: NAS devices and replication for dr

Tapes only go to 4-500 gigs, what do you use when you want to go with a NAS that is in the 2-4 tera range, replicate it with a second one offsite? which NAS devices have this functionality built in and easily config’d?

Yes, you replicate it.

And your second question…no idea. I didn’t config the 4 NASes we have.

onsite NAS is simple. Throw a NAS unit in the rack, get some software like ARCserve and voila. NAS.

As for offsite replication to another site, utilizing a second NAS unit… someone else chime in? I’ve seen it done, but never looked into the configuration.

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?p=813994&highlight=drobo#post813994

only stupidly cheap optioni can think of. has its obv drawbacks.

GoldenGate or if you really want to be safe with a hot recovery, MirrorActivator(Sybase). Not the cheapest solutions but they work.

What do you use right now for a NAS?

I know a number of SAN solutions offer WAN replication…

How often does the data change?

A. Doesnt need to be cheap

B. No product in place yet, i’m saying, if your boss came to you today and said:

Buy a 2 TB nas, and set up another 2 TB nas offsite to replicate with, what would you use?

I’d ask why it has to be NAS and not DAS. SAN would just be easier to maintain but more expensive. I’d tell him that I’m picking up 2 HP C3000s and call goldengate then call it a day.

C3000’s are blade chassis…the storage blades max out at 876gigs each…

I know(ment with a few SB40c’s w/ 120GB SFF SATA hard drives :slight_smile: )… or go with some DL 380s

Proliant DL380 G5 server? That isn’t a NAS… ???

Or, are you speaking of some other DL 380?

We never got into this too heavily because of cost, off site replication is decently expensive.

I know there are plenty of services that can knock this out for you but be prepared to pay. Couple of things, first do you have multiple physical offices? If so, how is the bandwidth between those? If it is semi decent you can just replicate to another office of yours… we do that now with two windows server 2003 file servers using DFS.

If money is not an object, i’d probably outsource it. You’d probably be ok with two NAS’s and Arcserve though, provided you have a location to house one offsite.

Idk Blueballs is naming out HP Blade Chassis and HP blades for some reason :lol:

The biggest thing is what kind of data you are replicating? How much of it changes on a daily basis…things like that…then look for a solution that fits your data and project growth…

:stuck_out_tongue: lol

blades are all the rage now, didn’t you know?!

Maybe he works for PCI downtown Buffalo. They are an HP shop. LOL

Nope and nope… I sell analytic database stuff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/formulals1/IMAGE_00009.jpg

no wayz

HP has a lot of different solutions that are scalable. Heard a lot of good things from customers who run them with 1-2TB and even ones that run 100+TB in full cabinets clustered.

we have a database appliance which has a C3000 we configure and can store up to 10tb, there is one with Sun and IBM also but I like the HP guys more :smiley: That’s why I like hp lol.