temp. gauge broken

hey guys,

well basically the temp gauge in my dash may be broken. I drove the car from markham all the way to ajax and it didnt move. Also while i was driving the heater would not heat up, and it was a very cold night. Is the heater in any way related to the temp gauge?

well any help is appreciated, and if anything is broken , just wondering how hard it will be to fix, i definately need to fix this heater problem as i wont be able to last the rest of winter with the problem.

quick facts about car.
-1991 fast back (170, 000 km)
-problems only started about a week ago.

thanks a lot guys

If your temp guage is not working, its most likely your temp. sensor. Its on the intake manifold where the big hose comes from the rad. You will see a red sensor with two prongs, the one next to it with one prong is the sensor you need.

I don’t know where it is located on the DOHC, might be in similar spot. Where I described is where it is on SOHC.

As for the heater not working, I couldn’t answer that. Never had that happen to me. As for it being related, I doubt it. Is the heater working now? Or is it still not heating car?

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

aright ill give it a check, but with the temp. sensor being broken, is that anything i should be worried about, or can i leave that till spring time to fix?

but the heater isnt working at all right now, this is what im worried about…

seems strange that the thermostat says your car is not hot, and you are not getting heat out of the heater, as if your car is not hot.

… quincidence?

im pretty sure the engine is heating up tho. I was out driving for about 1 hour, and all the snow melted off the hood of my car.

??

k thats a good sign, what i think it is is:

You know how a car heater works right?

well if you dont, the coolant lines go into the car under the dash and there is a plate like thingy blocking it, as you turn up the heat you slowly turn/open the plate and let the hot coolant in, and behind these tubes is a fan, so i think that the lever that opens the plate is broken (check this by moving the hot/cold thingy back and forth if it is broken it will go really easy (no resistance)). i also think it is safe to say that the temp sensor for the thermostat is in around this plate???

the temp sensor for the cluster is on the intake manifold. Trust me, I pulled the wire once. But, I thing your right about the heater problem tho.

aright, ill check up on these things tomorrow morning…
but thanks for all the help guys…really appreciate it.