Tesla Model S: 0-60 in 2.5s, 762HP (Now w/ Fart Mode)

This doesn’t take into account the chemistry of the cell and transport limitations of the ions. Increasing initial charge voltage (assuming it’s not at the maximum already), will only increase the rate of the first 60% or so of total cell charging. The last 40% has to be done at a lesser rate to mitigate heat accumulation and oxygen formation. It appears as though MIT has found a way to alter the surfaces in the cell to facilitate transport within the cell.

charge profile:
http://www.superbpower.net/battery/image/partone-12.gif

Saying it’s just some linear function of charge current is not an accurate way to predict the charge time.

Yeah, but that’s still very early in development. The article is full of “could lead to”. Very cool, and definitely the direction battery technology need to go in the future. This car however is coming out now with existing battery technology.

Go back and look at what I posted.

…toys for rich people. Until they solve the issue of real world range of 300 miles, and being able to recharge in the same time it takes to refill a gas car

That MIT research might be the missing piece to the puzzle, or at least part, but it’s not ready yet. So to me this car still = toy.

You mean 240/480? I would love to see a residential application that is not a highrise with a 480 line running to it.

one problem with that… gas is 2$ a gallon. i know it could change in a short amount of time but 2$/gal gas keeps people from buying these things like they would have a few months ago when gas was over 4$ a gal and everyone was feeling desperate.

that said, the car looks great!

Brian

i get 43.5 in my metro driving it like a twat lol.

Brian

Yeah, word is that prices are going to be fairly rapidly increasing again, especially once the economy starts to improve.

Cliffs of this thread?

A guy with a red 350z convertible boat calling a guy with a mini cooper a fggt.

Anyway, I think the Tesla line is more of a “step forward” than an end-all be-all.

I didn’t call him a fggt for driving a mini, I called him a fggt for repeatedly saying “my mini”

:mamoru:

You’re really hurting my feelings here.

my mini
my mini
my mini
my mini

K. Thanks, Bye

sure showed me

MAH MINI!:skunk:

Holy crap, check out that screen;

Tesla is touting the world’s biggest center console for its upcoming Model S today: a titanic 17-inch touchscreen display powered by NVIDIA’s Tegra chip. Infotainment, climate control and navigation will all be managed using the vast dashboard dominator, while NVIDIA’s hardware will also take responsibility for keeping the 12.3-inch instrument cluster LCD updated. Considering the Model S, like the Roadster before it, is an all-electric vehicle, you’d expect energy efficiency to be a pretty important consideration in the choice of infotainment system and Tesla points that out as a key advantage of Tegra, describing it as “power-stingy.” Another motor company hooking up with NVIDIA is BMW, who promises that all of its upcoming models for 2011 will benefit from Green Team GPUs powering their iDrive navigation and information systems.

After seeing how good electric drag cars do. I’m totally okay with electric cars in the near future being alot better than hybrids

thats hot.

Smartphone technology.

Looks like Telsa is tapping the govt for more loans.

I still think that center console is amazing.

But in this “Solyndra atmosphere” good luck getting more public money.

Pricing for the Model S is broken down depending on battery capacity and the resulting range, with the 160-mile version commanding $57,400, the 230-mile variant priced at $67,400 and the 300-mile Model S coming in at $77,400. There’s also the $87,400 Perfomance model which has the same 85-kWh battery as the 300-mile version
It’s worth noting that if you check the new Model S page, Tesla lists pricing after the $7,500 federal tax credit, which is a bit disingenuous, but to Tesla’s credit, it has kept pricing perfectly in line with previous announcements.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options

Congrats to them for be able to deliver on their claims. Also proves if you wait long enough technology costs will come down.

In before someone comes back in to bash all EV tech basically because they have no interest in owning one at the moment…