Tesla Model S - My Test Drive

http://www.bings.ca/images/Tesla%20Toronto%20(1).jpg

Today I visited the Tesla dealer in Toronto on Lawrence east of the DVP with @Onyx Z32 and my brother. Initially we just went to see it and look around but the opportunity came about to actually test drive the car; so we did.

The Tesla rep immediately asked us if we knew anything about the car and apparently I would be classified as someone pretty knowledgeable about the car based solely on the fact that I have heard of Tesla and I know it doesn’t have an engine in it… most people don’t even know that much.

As many of you know, I daily drive a 2009 BMW E90 M3 and for the purposes of this review I will compare the Tesla Model S to my M3 since they are somewhat similar.

The car we drove was a silver Tesla Model S… it was also the P85 model which is the highest in the line having 415hp or so. This car did not have the air suspension. It did have the glass roof.

Because the car has no engine there is a rather large storage area in the front under the hood. I had a friend (josh) and my brother along and both comment that the rear seats were very roomy and among the most comfortable they had ever sat in. they were clearly roomier than my 3 series, probably comparable to a 5 series. The trunk was also very roomy, at least as large as my BMW’s.

When we got in the car I did have to ask if it was in fact actually on. The rep turned the car on and I didn’t know whether the car was in accessory power or on… weird.

There are no buttons or knobs anywhere on the dash. Just a massive web-connected touch screen display that is better than an Ipad. You control the steering, suspension, moonroof, HVAC etc. etc. with this display. I didn’t toggle with it much but suffice to say it’s totally fucking awesome.

The car is very spacious. Even though it is RWD there is no tranny tunnel so you have all kinds of extra room for your knees. They embellish this a bit by leaving the whole centre console area bare. I am told you can purchase a unit that has some compartments and maybe cup holders in it or whatever. I would go that route because all of the open space is kind of useless.

The rear view camera is very wide and easily the best I’ve ever used. I have rear view cameras on my Town & Country van for my family and on a Cadillac SRX I use as a company car. Both of those rear views blow ass compared to this.

http://www.bings.ca/images/Tesla%20Toronto%20(2).jpg

So driving… I was expecting to be really weirded out by the pedal feel and throttle response. I didn’t know what to expect and like most people my only reference for an all-electric vehicle is a golf cart. This is nothing like that.

3 seconds after pulling on to Lawrence Ave all I could say was WOW!!!

I guess Tesla uses a power inverter to tune the feel of the acceleration and they basically make it feel like a standard gas-powered throttle response except for a few things… there is no transmission, which means there is no shifting gears, which is weird, super weird… My M3 has DCT which is arguably the best paddle shifting set up out there save for Porsche’s PDK (which I haven’t driven). I am sure I would miss the shifting but I also thought I would miss manually shifting going from 6 spd into DCT on the M3…. I didn’t. And I would bet that after a while owning the Model S that you would think shifting gears at all (manually or flicking a paddle) is stupid too. Maybe it is… probably in fact.

How fast was it? Well… the Model S weights 1100 lbs more than my M3, which by the way has a 415hp V8. And I have dinan exhaust, dinan pullies, dinan intake and upgraded software… when driving the Model S there were 4 full size adults in the car, so easily an extra 600 lbs of passengers or about 450 lbs more than just me… the Model S being all-electric is very torquey and felt much faster than my M3 even with the 1100 + 450 – 1550lbs more than I usually have in my M3. The electric power is perfectly linear all the way up to lose your license speed (which I did hit on many occasions in the Model S).

We did a standing 0-120kph… amazing.

But you know what’s more amazing? In the BMW that 0-120kph run would cost me about $3 in gas… everytime. $90 to fill the BMW to get 450kms, $4 in electricity in the Model S to get the same mileage. that 0-120kph stunt was basically free. It doesn’t really hit you at that moment, but it sure does when I put gas in the M3 every couple days.

On the highway, instant torque. More than enough for any reasonable person. Yes it would be nice if there were even more on tap (I’m spoiled) but that’s just a brief software upgrade away…. No need to change injectors, intake, exhaust, cams, blah blah blah… this doesn’t have any of those.

The demo car was set to stop accelerating at 130kph… I hit that on an off ramp…. It wasn’t hard.

How does it handle? The ride is better than it needs to be. This is not an M3 so it didn’t have steering feel or the feedback from the tires and suspension like an M3 but it’s not supposed to. It’s infinity times better than a regular 3 series though.

It had average tires on it and I didn’t really push too hard on the thing from a suspension perspective but even though suspension wasn’t as aggressive as my BMW it was very very good. Again better than it needed to be. You can adjust the steering feel, which I initially thought was too heavy but then we adjusted it to comfort mode and it was much better.

I did a couple 100 – 0 stops and they were very good but not necessary. Decelerating, enabling the regeneration of the batteries is the way to go.

A big part of the sales pitch from Tesla is the fact that there are basically no items to fail. No exhaust to rust and rattle, no combustion engine to get carbon build up and require servicing, no oil to need changing etc. etc.

Without getting into the real specifics my experience convinced me 100% that the Model S is a total game changer. Their charging network is growing fast and if you can charge at home the car is perfectly capable 98% of the time… maybe more.

Fully optioned out with the P85 pack and all the other crap the car gets into the $130,000 cdn range + HST, base P85 being $103,000 or so but you get a $8000+ tax credit with it. That’s a lot of money for a car. If you’re in the market for an 550i or an S550 Merc or ANY sedan that isn’t a BMW M car or an Audi RS car or a Merc AMG car… and probably even if you ARE in the market for one of those… this is the better car almost always.

Would I buy it? Not right now. I’m an unapologetic asshole and I want to rip gears and be loud and obnoxious in my M3 for a while. I’ll grow out of that as my kids grow into it. When I do. Tesla all the way.

I also believe that most BMW M car buyers or Merc AMG buyers or anyone else in that part of the market is mostly buying status and never actually use everything they’re buying. In that case, which is the norm, the Model S is easily, EASILY the better car. Any honest BMW or Merc technician will tell you that the big euro cars are great but crazy expensive to run. Even in warranty they will spend several days or weeks a year in for service… $300+ oil changes, expensive premium gas… as they fall out of warranty they will cost several thousand dollars a year to service things that don’t exist on the Tesla.

All that coupled with the fact that Tesla isn’t using the traditional franchise model for distribution, opting instead to sell direct through their dealers or galleries, is a clear sign that things are about to change in a big way.

We spent the rest of the day speculating just how disruptive Tesla is going to be… no oil filters, spark plugs, exhausts, starter motors, alternators, headgaskets to break and none to have to buy. There will be no room for aftermarket parts jobbers when the road is mostly filled with full electric cars… and it will be.

The only good reason not to buy one is the lack of charging infrastructure but people will get over that easily. Much easier than we think. I would.

The P85 model S is the first time I have ever been interested in an electric car. Even as an outside sales rep I never drive more than 200 miles a day, it would be a great fit for me in that aspect, the price on it just needs to come down to make it a viable option. I hear they are working on a lower priced model next. Thanks for the review :tup:

Thanks for the review Bing.

I actually had a thorough chat with a Tesla rep at Yorkdale a few months ago so I was quite familiar with the car and reading it on tech blogs etc sparked my interest.

To add a few points to this great review, they do have different models of the Tesla, all the way down from $70-80k, which will have a smaller capacity battery and less power and etc etc, so it CAN be affordable if you’re willing to sacrifice battery capacity and hp.

In terms of charging stations, they actually have a few in Toronto Downtown in the high class parking garages (I think I’ve seen 3-5 charging stations in one parking garage) so I think they are just scaling them as more and more customers purchase their cars. Currently, they have charging stations setup from West to East coast in the US so you can travel all across the country from LA to NYC and charge your Tesla for FREE (Yes, FREE and it takes about 30min at these super charging stations).

Another point people bring up, both positive and negative is about the batteries on the car. It can last up to 10yrs if you purchase the extended warranty($2-3k), and to replace it costs about $10-$12k iirc. So if the average person drives 25k km/yr, that’s about 45 tanks of gas giving you an avg of 550km for your average car. So approx you are spending $3150/yr on gas multiply that by 10 years and that’s $31k JUST IN CASE, not counting oil changes, maintenance and other servicing that needs to be done on your regular car.

I think the Tesla is definitely an interesting car and I’ve been contemplating the M3 TT for the next years down the road, but the Tesla puts up a good logical fight as well…only time will tell.

I’ll add more tomorrow, but the biggest take away for me was that both my car and truck are horribly antiquated. Modern hybrid cars are backwater shit-boxes. And I’m a total chump for buying gas, spending money on maintenance, etc.

Everyone needs to drive this thing and contemplate the entire Tesla sales & support model. Especially those of us who are enthusiasts.

Sounds very interesting and a great way to save on gas! But Unfortunately your right about the end to Aftermarket and tuner shops, and And eventually the whole car Enthusiast and tuner Scene altogether. I have been told by the year 2030 the The governments want to ban all gas and Diesel Powered cars. It will be hard for most people like us to Except the change. For the last while I have been driving a 2011 si 4 door while my s14 has been sitting away all winter. Just this week I have been driving it and it is a Totally different feel in every way. No electric steering electric throttle, no abs, no Traction control, just an overall different feel of you being in total controll of the car. That is going to change as well with Driverless vehicles also Fully electric to phase in over the next two Decades. The world is changing Extremely fast and changes to everything not just cars are going to happen soon.

these cars will be monsters for enthusiasts… basic software from COBB or other tuners will make these things ANIMALS!!!

All you have to do is ask the motor for more power and it will deliver it… tweak the inverter specs and get faster response.

I am convinced that this car is TUNED DOWN to suit people who are not as exciting as they would like to be.

All this car will need is a software upgrade, slightly lowered suspension and siq wheels… boom done… When all that is done this car will RAPE M5’s and M3’s all day long… i’ll be right there when it happens.

I’ve got $5,000 in mods to my M3 (intake, pulllies, exhaust) to get more power… none of that is required on the Tesla… JUST SOFTWARE…

If it’s anything like BPM Sport you’ll pick what you want from a menu on-line and upload the program in your driveway. Gimme Gimme Gimme.

i’ll have to cheek one of these out some day. i just know i would miss feeling boost kick in shifting gears and feeling a twin plate clutch grab. hearing the sound of that engine whether it be a turbo or na, vtec, straight 6, v8 or even 12 cylinder. who knows maybe ill have a change of heart when i cheek out one of these for myself.

Tons of these things all over Austin.

They are even talking about opening up a plant near here.

they wont open a plant in Texas until Texas changes their dealer laws.

this car kept me up all night.

My wife and I are house shopping and once that is all sorted and when it’s time to move on my my BMW I really believe that the Tesla Model S is my next car. Is anyone following tuners to see if people are coming out with software for this?

How long do you think before these get down to mainstream prices?

It’s an impressive car but at 100k+ it should be. That’s basically twice what your M3 was when it was brand new. The people buying $100k cars aren’t really swayed by not having to replace an exhaust when it rusts out or saving $3k a year in fuel costs (15k/yr@20mpg@$4gal).

M3’s are $74k base and $100k fully optioned in Canada. the Model S is pretty much the same really. The $130k car i spec’d out was near max. most of the stuff they had in invetory was in the $95k - $105k range.

honestly, i hope the price doesnt come down at all. If anything i hope they just come out with a $40k A-B car in a few years when the tech is good enough.

This is a net positive for enthusiasts.

http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?67966-Tesla-Model-S-50-000-EV-sedan-seats-seven-300-mile-range-0-60-in-5-5s&p=4593315&viewfull=1#post4593315

Just esthetics at the moment though.

You’re thinking US prices. M3’s and most cars are WAY more in Canada.

That is currently Tesla’s plan. The next car is supposed to compete in the 40-50k USD range

How do they handle cold climates? Does it have a battery heater?

It loses about 20% of it’s range in the cold. however, you can warm the car up from your phone before you go out.

I was just looking at Unplugged Performance. don’t care about that stuff and the guy will never get anywhere imho. Waiting for the more established guys to get ahold of this thing.

A COBB or similar tuning package, KW V3 coils and a set of HRE’s and you’re done for 5 years.

Heat generated by the electric motor is diverted to the battery compartment.

• Updated - - -

To clarify, this isn’t just to warm up the cabin for your comfort. Warming up the car increases it’s range in cold weather.

Not to mention the more you can coast the car the more regenerative charging you can generate to extend your range. So in city driving conditions you’ll actually get more range than on the highway.

yeah there are so many counter-intuitive things on this car compared to gas powered cars.

i couldnt be a tesla rep, i would just laugh at people all day

Looks like an awesome experience! I’m glad you guys didn’t start on fire…lol someone has to say it…

yes, i was specifically wondering about initial heating in the morning before you actually start driving. There must be an aux heater apart from the motor since it wont create heat when not spinning.

I suppose if I had the money for a model S, I’d probably have the money for a heated garage though… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d buy one if they came to Buffalo.

Laugh it up buddy, you’ll be selling me the insurance policy on one of these! :eekdance:

It’s a heat exchanger, so like an air conditioner in reverse. This is the only car that I know of that uses this. It’s brilliant and efficient.

I’ve read in some places there is a resistive heater for extreme cold temps but I can’t find the answer.

I can only imagine someone less informed than us walking in there.

And when you search online there seems to be a lot of misinformation, speculation and even simple terminology errors that are easily made by anyone who’s been around gas powered cars their whole life (everyone.)

For example, can we really use the word “tune” to describe modifying this cars motor output? What is there to “tune” when there is no AFR? And once someone cracks this all they’ll do it put it online and you’ll update your car over-the-air like a mobile phone app.