Tesla Model S - My Test Drive

Do they include life policies with every sale? All kidding aside, this car looks like it’s a pretty serious piece of equipment. That monitor looks like one of my monitors on my desk here at work…

Thats what I’m saying. if you can turn it on from your phone while the car is stationary, it has to be a heater. The HX won’t work if the motor isn’t spinning (producing heat)

I assume the batteries are liquid cooled, so you could just add a heater to the coolant loop. We do this on our fuel cell systems for running in freezing conditions (we also heat our auxiliary li-ion battery)

I want one of these so bad. No way to justify this until I get a new house.

I agree with this being a game changer. It will be even more so once the technology is improved upon. Tesla has some awesome and well though out features but like most anything there is always room for improvement and once this starts becoming more and more mainstream I think we are going to have some things happening. Just imagine the burnouts! Electric = instant full torque!

I thought the same way at first. Again, antiquated thinking has us tied to the idea that we need a place to service the car if something breaks. But there isn’t anything (GENERALLY SPEAKING) to break or maintain. And they can send a mobile service center (truck) to you.

Think of something on an annual basis you might need with your S4 that would make a dealership necessary: oil changes, spark plugs, filters, fuel lines, radiator hoses, PCV valves… this car has none of them. How often do you bring your desktop computer in for service?

And there will be a Supercharger station in Buffalo by the end of this year according to Tesla.

• Updated - - -

I should also point out that some have made the clumsy comparison between this car and an iPhone, but an iPhone needs proprietary tools, the “genius bar”, Apple-specific accessories, etc. This car can be worked on by your current mechanic for most things you’d need: alignments, tires, brake pads, washer fluid.

Yes because electronic parts never fail

lol @ there’s nothing to break.

Well, except bearings, bushings, ball joints, shocks/struts, differential, brakes, climate control, power steering etc.

Oh, and a really complicated computer controlled electric drive system.

Electronic stuff in my house fails all the time and it’s living in a climate controlled space and never moves. Just last week my beer fridge died and it doesn’t have a gas engine or transmission either. I think you guys are buying into the hype of “maintenance free” a little too much. It probably is less but there is still a ton of stuff that can fail just like any other car.

+1

Sounds like you guys should have laid off the kool-aid. It’s a cool car and the reviews are much appreciated. I’m excited about what Tesla brings to the table. However, it’s delusional to think this is a maintenance free vehicle.

Exactly. I think it’s cool and if they ever start selling one that can compete on price with the typical midsize sedan and complete their fast charging stations it could be a game changer. Hopefully some 100k+ mile ones start showing up so someone on NYSpeed will buy one. :slight_smile:

How often do wheel bearings, bushings, ball joints, shocks/struts wear out? Realistically?

This car has no differential. Climate control is solid state. Power steering is electric and adjustable on-the-fly BTW.

Really complicated? It’s just a computer program that controls the output of a electric motor. The program isn’t going to “break” and the motor itself has one moving part.

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-tesla-model-s-is-the-third-drive-unit-the-charm.html

During their long term test the dealer took care of 4 service bulletins…

The Tesla dealer also took care of four service bulletins under warranty:Concern: Front lower control arm washer installation
Correction: Inspect knuckle/ball joint surfaces, install four front lower control arm washers.
Concern: Firmware update for automatic charge current reduction
Correction: Update firmware to version 5.8.4
Concern: Front bumper carrier bolt replacement
Correction: Replace front bumper carrier bolts and washers
Concern: New bolt for rear camber correction
Correction: Installed rear upper camber adjustment bolts per proactive repair.

Oh yeah, and they replaced the drive unit 3 times. So maybe having a dealer nearby might be nice for your “maintenance free vehicle”.

To borrow from that terrible reviewer… “It’s a WHOLE NEW THING”. You’re going to have some issues and when they come up chances are it will involve large assemblies getting swapped out so the engineers can dissect the parts that went bad.

How is that different from any other manufacturer? And read what’s there: they updated the software, added some washers and replaced some bolts.

Yeah that’s big. But there is still less to maintain here (again, annually) than any vehicle either of us have ever owned. Even a motor swap is going to take a fraction of the time it would take on a gasoline car.

Kind of the point I’m making. It’s not any different. There are still trips to the dealer to fix stupid shit. It’s not some maintenance free wonder car.

And again;

• Updated - - -

Context = the rest of my post to @EvoMR. I never claimed it was. You jumped on my sentence as if I was some Jehovah’s witness at your front door, lol.

At the present time, it’s neat/new/cool.

I’m excited for the future, when their partnership with Toyota really takes off. When it causes VWAG to develop 14 electric/hybrid vehicles in the span of a year for competition.

Toyota (arguably the model/best car manufacturer) brought the game changing Prius to the market in 2000. Awesome, neat and 50 MPG at the time. However, the Prius made today is light years ahead of where that Prius was and arguably more beneficial/affordable/reasonable.

I also can’t wait until google gets involved in software development and starts making these things even more awesome.

How long till the first Tesla gets malware…

Anonymous carpet bombs every car in the market, lulz.

And you and Bing drank the kool-aid like David Koresh was your sales guy. :slight_smile:

So starter motors break, but drive motors don’t?

Have any of these been through a couple Buffalo winters? I’d imagine corrosion is going to be insane.

i drank no kool-aid. It’s an exciting car for a variety of reasons and the drive exceeded expectations. the issue here is that you are too cynical. you’re part of the reason why we need Elon Musk to have nice things :wink:

• Updated - - -

I mostly agree with all this but with the caveat that while toyota is the best in many aspects they also produce very boring cars; the Pruis being among them, despite its well deserved praise on most other attributes.

That the Tesla is as engaging as it is to drive now and as disruptive as it is bound to be over time is good cause to be excited.