Tesla Roadster

Now that they are being delivered to the first batch of customers what do you think? A toy, a laugh or the future available today?

A step in the right direction, however one which still wont break into the market most of us are thinking of.

this is meerly a replacement for the prius-es that celebs show up to the red carpet in.

I’ve been following the development of Tesla for a few years, the Roadster is their first vehicle, their next car is suppose to be a more reasonably priced sedan with even greater “ease of use” they figured coming to market with an “exotic” of sorts was the best way to establish brand recognition.

No pics?

FAIL!

still no shot but a link for those interested. If anyone on the board besides timmay is into this stuff I tried to get funded for a car that runs on air and several other vehicles the government in our country shuts down. It is strange the only vehicles that large car dealers have created that do not need any sort of gas to power themselves are on a lease with no buy option at 600 dollars a month. Honda has come out with one this year and gm made one that got major attention with the whole film “who killed the electric car.”

MDI AIR CAR WILL NEVER RUN BUT IS A AMAZING IDEA LOOOOK IT UP BALLERS

Can’t believe I missed this thread.

It’s a fantastic marketing strategy on their part. If they come out with a light weight sedan, with usual amenities Americans are used to with just about double the sticker of a comparative gasoline car but promises savings of about $2000 a year (VS gas and the gap is constantly increasing) with also tax refunds and incentives and it will sell. Not in overwhelming numbers, but good enough.

I’m a fan of the Tesla but personally would take the Electric Atom or the Mini :nod

Comparing it directly to the Elise, while the obvious choice, isn’t a fair comparison. The Tesla is so much more of an advanced, and complete car. From the carbon fiber body panels to the considerably upgraded interior. Comparing it to other 2 seater roadsters with similar performance and all of the sudden its not quite so expensive, Aston Martin Vantage convertible, Ferrari F430 spyder, Gallardo spyder, 997 C2S cab.(2+2 but close enough), etc… The 6 figure price tag all of the sudden seems in line, then start factoring in not only the gas savings and tax incentives but maintenance on cars with this type of performance and all of the sudden its a tremendous bargain, assuming you can live with in its limitations. Sure if I buy one I may need to rent a conventional car once or twice a year, out of convenience. At the same time, someone like myself who has no schedule to keep, I can make a few day adventure out of the same trip and use the Tesla, an inconvenience? perhaps, but I’ve got plenty of time on my hands and enjoy pushing the envelope in unconventional ways. Like I’ve said in other posts, this technology is only going to get better, if I’m seriously considering a car like this in 4-5 years, I suspect cruising range will be up to 300 miles and that is 3-4 weeks of normal driving for me, if I drive on sunny days I’ll seldom have to plug it in.

I am a huge P-car fan, always have been and probably always will be, I seriously think I would sacrifice my dream of owning a P-car for what I feel is the good of humanity(or at least America).

Well the thing is, it’s not just you. If anything, you’re less of a target consumer (excluding budget limitations) than an average person. You being retired will not need to commute to work, pick up kids, groceries etc. However you will be much more likely to take vacations and long trips which is what the car is not designed for. Short daily commutes such as work or groceries is absolutely perfect considering most people do not go more then 100 miles one way for anything on daily basis.

I personally even having regular cars tend to rent a car anytime I have to go somewhere far or to the city. It ends up being more efficient and cheaper when you know managers at rental places.

the Tesla is a badass vehicle. u get power instantly at any RPM above 0. I’m kinda hopin to see that to be the future