Test Drive: 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V (and questions)

ok, so i drove the car yesterday, liked its pickup/acceleration from a stop and from a roll, and i liked the 6spd transmission, all i gotta do is work out a deal w/ the guy (and find a cosigner…uugghh)

i was just wondering if any of you guys had any experience with these, or even if you guys might have one or had one that could five me some input on it, like if it has any annoying quirks or problems that i should be aware of if i do decide to get it, or anything that might affect my decision…

the geo will probably get taken off the road and boosted while i have this…idk if that matters…just a little tidbit for you guys…lol

waste of money… you can’t make them fast at all and they just look like an over priced base sentra…

just out of curiosity whats your price range?.. b/c you could find a whole lot better then that for the same price

b15 sentras suck, and b13s are where its at. but they do take some abuse:

I’ve driven the Spec V before and have owned a “Classic” B13 SE-R and also a B15 SE (both SR20). Couple thoughts:

• The 2.5 in the Spec V has torque but doesn’t pull strongly in the upper range (like over 4500 or so)

• Redline is a lot lower in the Spec V (6600 versus 7500 cut in the B13 SR20 I believe)

• Spec V suspension is firm compared to the other two, but then, for a B13 there are a lot of nice setups out there, B15 SE it’s more limited but they are there.

• Chassis stiffness of course the Spec V is better than the Classic SE-R, it’s a newer car, benefits from newer design practices, etc…

• Interior is a matter of personal taste, but I did not like the color inserts on the Spec V seats at all, way too “boy-racer”

• I remember the gates were pretty close on the six speed, ratios were decent, most notably you will not see 60 mph in 2nd due to the low redline. That’s the major explanation for the poor 0-60 time of the Spec V compared to the other two cars. I’m pretty certain if you line up a B13 SE-R against a Spec V they would reach 60 at about the same time…

• Closer ratios like this in a little car should mean more “fun”, but it seems to contradict the character of the engine, since it’s more tuned for torque, lower revving, does not seem to have good volumetric efficiency up top. So you question what the purpose of the close ratio six speed is in such a car…

• Lastly, aftermarket is there but it’s not that strong… There ARE a decent amount of N/A mods for it. But don’t expect killer numbers without improving the head in a big way since as I said, the breathing capacity at higher Rs seems poor from the factory. There are supercharger kits for the QR25 and maybe even a turbo kit.

• Compared to the SR20DE, there isn’t as much aftermarket if you want to take things further in the future for forced induction.

My opinion is that if you really like the B15 body style and want to go big in terms of power in the future, look for a B15 SE with the 2.0. These were only built in '00 and '01 so they are somewhat rare but they are out there. You should be able to find one for $3k-$4.5k or so in good shape.

If you don’t mind getting an older car and doing your own stiffening / suspension / maintenance mods, get a classic B13 and mod it, they are much more sporty in character then the Spec V but you will need to spend some money on suspension / tires and perhaps brakes. The SR20 in the Classic responds better to I/H/E and other NA mods and of course it will take to turbocharging as well.

The Spec V would be my last choice, because it costs more and doesn’t seem as “fun”. If other things such as the overall look (with body kit, interior, wheels, etc) appeal to you and you don’t want to mod anymore, then sure it’s a solid car.

But if you want to do a lot of modding anyways, the other platforms could offer better value.

without a cosigner…under 1000 bucks definitely…lol but with a cosigner id feel comfortable with under about 6-7k max…about 200 to maybe 250 a month-ish…

haha im actually driving a b14 sentra right now for work…lol

thanks for all the advice…heres the two ads for the cars actually…

b13 http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/1212203339.html

b15 http://albany.craigslist.org/ctd/1193883938.html <hes down to 4995 now…

id say get an SE with the SR20

yea, only found 2 on craigslist (both auto…:Idiots)…gonna look other places…

94 sentra sr20det modded - 4800
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/1190246948.html

88 200sx ca20e auto rwd - 500
http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/1205765443.html

s12 all the way

haha thats what i was thinkin…but it needs all brakes all the way around (rotors pads AND calipers) …idk if they are required for an inspection or not…he also said it needs fenders…

93 g20 - 600
http://nwct.craigslist.org/cto/1213159793.html

jvg has an AWESOME DSM eclipse that for 6k you could prolly steal from him… he’s looking to sell and if he see’s cash in hand would take it in a heat beat

white
new turbo
new manifold
head work done
arp head studs
new exhaust
super clean car with no issues…

shoot him a pm… best bet would be that… it’s in 100% perfect ready to drive shape, he has it insured and inspected right now

t-belt and water pump we just done 20 miles ago

I was sitting in it last night. It’s in good shape, new everything, definately a steal for 6k

id have to get a loan for 6k…and ive heard dsm insurance is sky high…

sr20forums is a great place, its where i found my se-r, i also flew to florida to get it, but that was cause i wanted to.

+1 on sr20forums.

Also look at B15sentra.net if you want a B15 SE, that’s where I found mine.

Good luck with the search.

haha…well i was just kinda pushed into a deal from my gfs parents to buy the 98 sentra gxe from them…so i might end up w/ a b14 instead of a b13 or b15…lol

yeaa…got woken up this morning and told lets go to dmv…i guess im getting the 98 gxe…:Idiots

:facepalm

buncha donkey tits