S13 vs. Spec - V

I am havng a bit of a problem. I found a really good deal on a S13, and a Spec-V. I’m having a hard time deciding which to buy. Details:

S13 needs a bit of bodywork + paint. bone stock 200 xxx km’s on chassis Has no engine or tranny but comes with used KA + tranny.

Spec - V 140 xxx km’s on car needs nothing(that I know of). Spec has a few aftermarket goodies

Cons of each

I love RWD and would like to have a S13 BUT
#1 S13 Needs paint and engine , (I have no free time to work on it so I would have to hire someone to do most of the work for me as I have other project vehicles on the go+ home reno’s etc etc.

#2 By the time I paint it + get engine put in + throw in the aftermarket stuff I will have close to the same amount of money as the Spec-V costs and have a still have a 91 with 200+ KM’s on the chassis

#3 S13 is a rolling chassis it would be perfect for a SR20 swap, but I don’t want to spend the dough till I know what the rest of the car is like hence I’ll throw the KA in and then swap down the road = more money

I like Spec- V’s BUT

they don’t drift
its FWD
02 first model year, possible bugs??? Spec-V guys speak up

Both cars are a great deal so if I don’t act soon I could lose em both to other buyers

What should I do? Some insight would be great

You want to go slow or do want to go fast? Answer that and you have your answer.

I do want to go fast of course, no one wants to go slow except for Granny. Both cars are capable of speed.

Screw it I’ll buy both and have the best of both worlds :smiley:

LOL

Do you want a daily driver/ grocery getter or do you want a fun sports car

Ok Spec guys chime in anytime

^^ HAHAHA funny shit. ill agree the spec v, isnt ur sports car but its ok… low maintence, daily driver, & slower. but w/ a turbo im sure it will make it alot funner to drive, and takes alot less time to turbo it.

i like mine. it works, and i dont have time to build up a 240 or skyline right now, nor the knowledge of how to do an engine swap.

o and btw 140,000km for an 02 is ALOT, i have an 03 with 69,000. aftermarket header is a plus(no precat drinking oil problem), also the butterfly screws can come lose and cause u to kill ur engine(check spark plugs to see if there damaged). & ask if they have been loctited.

Well stock ka vs stock spec v. they are both good cars dont get me wrong, my one buddy has a pretty well stock 89’ and i have an 03 spec. for reliablity i def say spec because he has sunk almost 2 grand into fixing it up, not making it fast just getting it going.
But the s13 is 2 door if your going for that, and its rwd, and has WAY more potential for power/swaps. but if you dont have the money to sink into that I would say Spec V is more practical.

they are not fast by any means but they are fun, as long as you have an after market header so your precat doesn’t eat your engine, and have the butterfly screws locked in your good to go. the 02’s have some quirks compared to the other models but im sure they were all taken care of by 140k km.

if you were going s13 with sr20 or turbo i would say do that forsure, but stock KA to spec, my vote would be spec. but thats my opinion cause i own one, but i can also compare to s13 cause i have driven one lots and have seen the bills to repair it. but any s13 guy will tell you get the s13 cause they love em, so try them both out see waht you like and see what your willing to live with.

OR buy both

i’d go with the 240

I don’t get why you guys say this? with any turbo kit for the QR you looking at 280+whp. If you not looking at modding either much the Spec V is more practical… If you looking to do something later to either car maybe the S13 would be better.

Differences in speed notwithstanding…FWD FTL!

B-Wurm :smiley:

If it helps sway your decision, you probably don’t want an 02 Spec V. The gear ratios suck balls, and the 02’s were the ones most affected by the oil burning problems.

I don’t get why you guys say this? with any turbo kit for the QR you looking at 280+whp. If you not looking at modding either much the Spec V is more practical… If you looking to do something later to either car maybe the S13 would be better.[/quote]
How much is a proper turbo kit for a Sentra professionally installed? A SR20 can be installed with a few goodies too and by a Professional for $3500.

What is the main roll of the vehicle? Are you going to use it for picking up parts, hauling people around, etc? Also how much time do you have to work on the vehicle? How soon would you need the use of the vehicle?

FWD :vom:

get the s13, and swap in a sr20det.

dont piss around with the ka24de, do it right the first time!

SR20DET S13!!! :finga:

I don’t get why you guys say this? with any turbo kit for the QR you looking at 280+whp. If you not looking at modding either much the Spec V is more practical… If you looking to do something later to either car maybe the S13 would be better.[/quote]
How much is a proper turbo kit for a Sentra professionally installed? A SR20 can be installed with a few goodies too and by a Professional for $3500.[/quote]

Yup exactly. Looking at about 6 g’s for kit installed by a pro.

Awesome advice guys, I like hearing the pros and cons of either choice, keep it coming

Is it going to be a year round car?

My 2002 Spec has ran like a champ for the lil under year I had it N/A. I drove it around 10,000km and the only thing that went wrong was my battery shit out on me and I was getting gear grind from 2nd to 3rd. Short shifter adapter and redline tranny oil = good bye gear troubles. I’ve never driven a 240, so I can’t really tell you whats better or worse about em compared to Spec Vs… But eh. I can tell you I had a blast with my Spec V with just Header/exhaust/cai, and can’t wait for spring/summer to give the turbo some track time. It will be alot more expensive to turbo a Spec V as it’s only been out since 2002 and the aftermarket isn’t that great whereas the 240 seems to have alot more out there. 3500$ for an engine swap compared to 4000-5000$ (without install) for a turbo kit. Lastly, I don’t know if you care about this at all, but Spec Vs do get alot more hate from people than 240s on this board. Personally I couldn’t care less. I love my car and am having a blast with it learning shit and getting faster. But some people might, just figured I’d warn you.

Like somebody else said though if you do get the Spec V, just get aftermarket header and loctite those butterflies and you should be good to go. You may gear issues, but that’s also a cheap fix. Best of luck with your car shopping man!