S13 vs B15

Well since I’ve been jumping between the Spec and 240SX now for over a month I’ve come to a few conclusions about the two.

Spec V

Good
-I can toss it into a corner at mach six and it just hangs on. Mash the throttle and it just pulls a tighter line
-Quiet, rattle free interior
-ABS brakes
-Seats
-Shifter is tighter and clunky (I like clunky)
-Ingress and egress are much easier
-Looks (to my eyes anyway)
Bad
-TORQUE STEER! I didn’t notice how bad it was because after 3 years (as of this weekend) of driving it my hands subconciously corrected for the torque steer. First couple days in the 240 even felt funny because on a full throttle upshift my hands would still correct for it
-Discombobulated stock suspension. Didn’t really notice this either until I often drove something properly damped
-Too narrow of a cabin
-Shifter is placed too low
-Big ass steering wheel
-Sloooooooow, well stock anyway

240SX w/SR20

Good
-Power! Boost is my new friend
-Steering feel
-Nice wide interior, controls are where I want them and lots of room for me (6’3") with a small steering wheel anyway
-Way better aftermarket
-Low & sexy looks
-I can modify to my hearts content and not worry about resale, it’s an old ass car!
-Tight suspension
-Long hood, it’s nice to drive a car again where you can see the hood, I even like the pop-ups
-Shifter isn’t as tight as the Spec but I prefer the mechanical feel of the stick in the box

Bad
-No ABS
-Getting in and out when running erands gets tedious
-Doesn’t feel as tossable as the Spec
-Off boost throttle response
-Creaks and rattles
-Rough ride

I’m sure PyreXXX will chime in with his thoughts as well.

Hmmmm, ya you made some really good points.

I think that this decision for you has to be based on what it is that you want out of a car. They both have their pros and cons obviously, but it’s you that has to be happy.

For me, well, you couldn’t pay me to switch from my 240 to a SpecV. No offence to anyone, just not what I like.

The ABS can be hooked up on the 240. PM Jared, he knows how.

If you’re into aftermarket “fun-ness” and sufficient aftermarket support, then I think that the 240 is your man/woman (not that there isn’t support for the specv).

Like I said, it all depends on what YOU want, or more importantly, what YOU need.

Now why would you assume that I would chip in a comment or two? :E

I can’t offer a concrete argument for either - I like them both for what they are.

I will say Louis that you should try my car. With the FSB, LTB, and Nismo suspension there is hardly any torque steer at all.

Okay the torque steer isn’t as bad as it sounds it’s just that I’m not used to the wheel dancing around in my hand during abrupt throttle modulations. Know what I mean? I think if you drove the 240 for a week you know what I was talking about, it’s not horrible just enough to make me feel like I’m slighly drunk cause the car wants to dart around a bit. Unlike the S13 that’s straight as an arrow, unless, you know, I use the throttle alot. Then it’s the other kind of torque steer. :E

This isn’t meant as a bash to either car, just some observations from both sides of the cheapo Nissan fence. Like Aaron said, they have their good and bad points.

For me the Spec was a great car to get when I did. I wasn’t making tons of cash and my current car was nickeling and diming me to death. I needed something new that I could just make monthly payments on, and not worry about all the time. I also started working out of town so the need for a reliable car was even greater. I still modified it a bit but nothing that couldn’t be reversed. As of right now the only thing not stock on the Spec is an 02 sensor bung welded behind the second cat.

3 years later I have a job that pays much more than I made when I got the Spec, I work 10 minutes from home, and I want a car to modify and mess with. 240SR fit the bill perfect, plus by selling the Spec it’s an extra $570/mo in my pocket… I also have a Ford Explorer to drive around if I have trouble with the s13.

Damn another long ass post. Well I guess you guys know why I made the jump now. :oops:

Believe me man, I know about the cheapo side of things - I want someone to wreck my car so I can get in on all the JDM goodness that’s going on here. :smiley: Or, I suppose I could just turn it in, but what’s the sense in that? :slight_smile:

As for the torque steer, stock, it’s horrible. Really really horrible - I mean, I have never driven an FWD car with MORE torque steer than that. That said, once you slap on a few suspension pieces, it’s more or less gone, so that’s good.

Yes, steering the back end with the throttle sounds like a good time.

I’m no hater either, even in the short time I’ve owned the 240 its started to grow on me a little - there are certain advantages to a balanced RWD setup. Now if I only had an LSD… :smiley:

Aaron, no can do on that. The pump was taken out.

Chris, maybe you’re right. Removal of the MMI’s probably made it more noticable. And of course I wouldn’t turn down an offer to drive someone elses car. :stuck_out_tongue: I always wondered what it would handle like with the Nismo suspension, FSB, and LTB. Are you going to also pick up the RSB?

Already done - if you wait until spring you can see what it’s like with the Nismo bushing kit too. :smiley: What can I say, I didn’t call myself a Nismo Whore for nothing. :slight_smile:

Unbelievably, the Nismo suspension is not only more capable but alot more comfortable. When I was first driving on it, the car felt like a luxury car by comparison - until I got to the first corner, anyway! :king

Oh, and Aaron? Compared to 240’s, Specs get the absolute shaft when it comes to mods. Once you go through the bolt ons, you’ve essentially got nowhere else to go.

Another thing too is that I’ve been a boost fiend since I was a kid. Not cause it’s JDM tyte or anything. My dad is a truck driver, he owns his own company. When I was a kid I would spend my summers driving around Alberta/BC with him. Now I really like it when I’m light on the throttle in boost, but not enough to open the wastegate. I just love hearing that little t25 make noise. Reminds me of being a kid hangin out with dad.

That right there is exactly why you should keep the 240. Sure its got a bumpier ride but it seems that its what you want, i think you will have more fun with the 240, but thats just me i guess. And since you have the explorer to drive to, to me it seems like a no brainer.

No man, it was never a debate. :slight_smile: I bought the 240 to replace the Spec.

Post of the year!!! Take that Pyrexx

hey 2003SpecV … can we meet up on monday afternoon to get some video of your car … im trying to make a promotional video but i want some 240 and SR footage!! :smiley:

Yeah sure. I’ve only got stock wheels on now though, so it’s kind of sleeper.

Catch me before the snow flies cause I’ve got some all seasons on these rims that are gonna get punished. :stuck_out_tongue:

actually dude it has to be tomorrow i borrowed the camera from my ex g/f and she wants it back on tuesday… so monday is my last day to shoot raw footage… im meeting up with Dave monday night too hopefully we could do some shooting with both the cars… stock wheels is OK! if you can pm me with a phone number i can reach you at tomorrow and we can set up a time for the shoot. it should only take about an hour of shooting time. IF we can get on topic and do it and not piss around like what happend at the “meet”

Post of the year!!! Take that Pyrexx[/quote]

Oh - forsooth, I have been slain.

Still outdrag your slow shit Flavio. :E Hell, it’ll even go directly over roadkill without even touching it, unlike you low-riding bastards. :smiley:

haha kirs if its possible for you to show up tomorrow night too it would be great to use your car in some of the shots as well as helping me take some “on the road” i want to hang out your passenger side window lol

I’m in. You should bug Flavio too. He’s coming over to pick up a headunit tomorow.

Post of the year!!! Take that Pyrexx[/quote]

Oh - forsooth, I have been slain.

Still outdrag your slow shit Flavio. :E Hell, it’ll even go directly over roadkill without even touching it, unlike you low-riding bastards. :D[/quote]
Its slow but at least i dont have like $28xxx into the thing. :lol: And it aint yellow.

Meh - white belongs on minivans! :smiley:

I should be able to make it - where are we meeting and at what time?

Ooooooooh! Which car to bring?