So... What is it exactly that we like about the S13/S14???

Really… I just drove one, and its been awhile is I have driven a complete stock one, and why is it!!!

With their understeering, heavy ass, road holdingly challenged frame/suspension its no wonder Nissan never campained them in any motorsports.

They suck ass stock!!! S13/S14 ones heavier than the other… Like a hippo in tights!

Thoughts?

I like my S13 coupe because it’s the closests thing to an R32 Skyline. :dunno:

And I like it’s styling and shit.

Yeah, stylish sure…

Skylines??? uhm… Ok :?

And by closest, I mean in terms of looks.

who cares about stock…

most of us with walk all over $50,000 cars…

and DRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFT YO~!

that is all

because every other 5500$ car has 0 potential compared to a 240 when you want rwd.

You basically have 5 options:

American
Shitty BMW
Miata
RX7

Cheap, looks good, very forgiving car (try fucking up in an RX-7…) very reliable. Prolly not the best track car there is, but an excellent choice if you want a daily driver that you can track on weekends.

S13’s are the biggest peice of shit
S14’s are slightly lesser peice of shit

They are built like garbage, were designed to be economy cars here but have huge potential.

Andrew.

Again with the nonfactual bullshit.

Where do you get this? What proof do you have?

Personal experiences hardly count, as the majority of the time user error or mistreatment is involved.

Do you happen to know for a fact the spot-weld pitch in various areas is unsuitable? Or the wrong schedule (in terms of preheat, pulse, and current) was used when placing the welds? Are the tolerances worse for any moving part in comparison to some convention?

I didn’t think so.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the S13’s or S14’s uni-body. That or any other aspect of construction.

In fact, in terms of build quality, they surpass the majority of other automobiles in adjacent classes.

I happen to know the difference first hand, working several engineering co-ops in various assembly and stamping plants. One of which produces the front and rear frame rails as well as the cross-members for the new mustang.

Believe me, the 240sx is a well-built piece of machinery.

Sure it is not without certain problems, but in comparison it is an extremely reliable car, especially for the initial price.

One word… VALUE

Its tough to find another car that has such good potential for so cheap.

Its tough to find one so cheap that still looks half decent.

Overall, S13/S14 deliver good value.

Or at least I like to think thats the case.

I’ll go with value as well… I got my S14 for pretty cheap… it was basically half price of a decent E36 (E36 coupes that is) BMW from the same years…
I personally like the way most 240’s look… They aren’t the best looking cars around, but they aren’t that bad either… They also are pretty good when it comes to reliability… again, they aren’t the best out there, but my 240 can certainly compare to my civic which is about the same age.

The only reason why i bought my 240 is because i see 240s in magazines all the time now and i want to become a hardcore drifter. Also, it’s cooler to have a 240 than it is to have a civic.

preach brotha. :cheers:

Don’t lie mark, I know you say me a krispykream

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/Lith808/engrish-for-boys-girls.jpg

[quote=“Titan”]

Again with the nonfactual bullshit.

Where do you get this? What proof do you have?

Personal experiences hardly count, as the majority of the time user error or mistreatment is involved.

Do you happen to know for a fact the spot-weld pitch in various areas is unsuitable? Or the wrong schedule (in terms of preheat, pulse, and current) was used when placing the welds? Are the tolerances worse for any moving part in comparison to some convention?

I didn’t think so.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the S13’s or S14’s uni-body. That or any other aspect of construction.

In fact, in terms of build quality, they surpass the majority of other automobiles in adjacent classes.

I happen to know the difference first hand, working several engineering co-ops in various assembly and stamping plants. One of which produces the front and rear frame rails as well as the cross-members for the new mustang.

Believe me, the 240sx is a well-built piece of machinery.

Sure it is not without certain problems, but in comparison it is an extremely reliable car, especially for the initial price.[/quote]

:lol: dude you need to calm yourself, I was being an asshole and sarcastic in most of that.

The car was not built for what I use it for, my new chassis is already tweaked after 1 season of abuse. The chassis needs reinforcement in many area’s, the sheet metal used is extremely thin the frame is made of laminated metal which frankly is garbage and why the frames rott.

I’m guessing, the frame is like 18 gauge steel and the body is 19-20ish, as me and Jeff discussed not more than 2 days ago.

Shall I go onto how strong the wonderfull stamped sheet metal control arms are.

The car was built decently, is of great value, reliable yes. Thats why I said it has huge potential, and especially as a RWD car for the track. It just needs chassis reinforcement.

Titan I give 2 shits about your engineering experience so don’t flash it in my face, I’m closer to home than you think. You need to stop riding around on a high horse, your points are valid however and I agree.

Andrew.

Heh, sure they’re afforadable if you compare it to a BMW from the same time.

Or if you bought it 3 or 4 years ago.

I find it disturbing people are paying up to $15,000 for a car that’s 10 years old, slow, cramped and handles like a drunk fat chick on a GT snowracer.

Who said anything about spot welds etc?

The car’s ARE built like shit. Not in the American way of letting cheap labor follow a vague blue print …

You can literally track Nissan’s financial woes by the S chassis.

And this is not more S12 flag waving, I actually prefer it that people don’t like them … keeps the price down.

The S12, which weighs less and came with less power (102-120 hp) has beefier everything - from motor mounts, chassis components, frame (unequal length subframe to counter twist), floor.

You get underneath one and you are amazed these cars were cheap shitboxes from the '80s.

You get under an S13 240, and you can see where they started cutting corners, here, there everywhere.

Get under an S14 and notice things like, no rear sway bar from the factory.

I really don’t know why more people aren’t buying 5.0s. They’re essentially the same and probably better for drifitng with a live axle. Parts are cheap, power is plentiful … a 302 weighs barely more than a KA.

Oh wait … I do know.

50% fun
45% monkey-see-monkey-do
5% Affordability

RS240 … you did like your S13 when you first got it, even wanted to try and race the Challenger.

You just stopped coming on SON, so you never “saw the light” :wink:

buddy its a street car

obviously it needs work to become a race car

that doesnt make it a bad car. all early 90s cars rust as well.

this is a comparative thread, not whats wrong with 240s thread.

ALL cars suck ass for track when stock. ALL 90’s cars rust.

S14 LE’s have sexy interiors imo i really like them, little interior bits could be cleaned up like the centre console is really shitty. if nissan spent 3-4k more on the interiors of the S14 they would be on the level of BMW quality interiors.

Suspension wise the cars could have been slightly lower and slightly stiffer with stiffer sway bars and larger wheels/tires stock

engine an SR is just fine but with a sporty exhaust stock

aero should be the japanese k’s aero

now you have one of the best sub 30k sport coupes if not the best

problem is i dont think they were marketed as being as classy as they really could have been. maybe even been sold as an infiniti model with ONLY leather option.

I like my 240 because

a: you dont just see them everday
b: fun rear wheel drive car to drive
c: the s13’s looks are nice
and d because they are just sick dudes

robattire

like bing said, walking over $50,000 cars.

Spending at most $10,000 on an s13 in total makes it one of the faster cars on the street, i dont think many cars can compare to that value to performance ratio that are rwd, a 5L mustang maybe, but they look like shit and are so redundant. Personally, the s13 looks > the mustangs.