The dedicated track queen

Picked this girl up today. This way, I can focus much more on technique this year. :giggle

http://www.simplysurrealphotography.com/images/3001.jpg

My dads gonna use it for street duty, then I take her for track duty.

Basic stuff I’m gonna do - rearsets, fren tubo lines, exhaust, track body work. (And better tires)

On a side note, ChiefSmokeDawg on the R6-Forum who is a very solid track rider expresses concerns about NYST in regards to their terrible entry/exit point of the pits, and the lack of tree clearance.

What’s wrong with riding the R6 at the track?

For Trackday, pit entry/exit can be modify with cones to ease traffic for the entry and exits. I am not going to worry about that.

Pretty sure they got a lot of feed back already about the trees. I forgot in which direction, something might need to be done to make it a bit safer.

Tires should be your first priority; Period. Do the lines and the pads at the same time, or just do the pads if you want. All I can say is have fun with those OEM suspension…:rofl

The R6 was going to be street/track duty, but I do recall reading a long time ago how people recommended taking 250’s to the track to really focus on cornering technique, and that a skilled lightweight rider can take out middleweight riders in turns.

So I posted on both the R6 Forum and Kawi Forum (Which I’ve been a member of for a few year now) to see their professional opinion (Those who’ve had experience at the track and different size bikes) and they all agreed that 250/300’s are awesome track bikes, and great way to really learn.

Sooo, because my dad wanted to get back on the street this year (Sold his M109R TANK), we went halves on the Ninja 300.

Tires will be the main priority … my dad is already looking at swapping those POS unknown tires with a proper set. Lines and Pads will definitely be in store before she hits the track.

What’s wrong with the stock suspension? I know you’re the suspension guru … I was gonna come crawling to you for help this spring :smiley:

the trees are the only thing that have bugged me, but I assumed something would be done by next year the track doesnt open till may 13th so I’m not sweating it yet personal. Even so at beginners level I doubt I have to worry about them letting me go any faster than 60 to 80 mph. that’s within my comfort zone speed.

I could have told you a 250/300 makes a good track bike, anything 08+ really IMO. :rofl

Oh yeah forgot talked to a guy selling a set of Dianese fullmetal ross rep gloves for 300 bones let me know if you want’em.

Dedicated track bikes are the way to go.

It’s even better if it’s something that has been totaled cosmetically but mechanically and frame wise is fine.

Nice pickup!

I just woke up and stared at the picture for a few minutes thinking it’s a 636… :lol

Gonna have to pass on the Dainese. Just bought a bike, remember? lol. That, and I picked up a pair of Alpinestars Gauntlets for the track.

Keep an eye out for some trailers that’ll fit at least 2 bikes (<$1k) in a few months!

Yeah it’s definitely a good looking bike! HotBodies already released track fairings for it, so, she should be ready to go by my first track day … probably in June.

Nothing wrong with smaller bikes, both for street and track. Just thought you are tracking the R6. Are either of your bike all paid off?

OEM suspension is ok if they are fully adjustable, so at least there is something you can kind of do about them. There is pretty much nothing you can do with the OEM non adjustables, other than fork springs and oil; unless/until they have emulators for them. They shouldn’t post too big of a problem until your pace increases. I am no guru, but if you are interest in the dark art, I have many resources that I can share; Some are in the stickies btw.

In 2014, LRRS is phasing out the 500’s in the Sportsman class and will be replaced with the 250/300’s. Just like you mentioned, the smaller cc bikes is a friendlier class to get into trackdays, because you can’t kill yourself with the throttle…alone :rofl

Is that the new 300 or a 250? Either way nice bike! At my first trackday there was a guy with a 250 and he was killing it, and a couple years ago a track-buddy of mine bought one to race in the mini-endurance series, which is a great way to get a lot of track time for cheap. If the track is tight then you can have a lot of fun on practically anything.

Stock suspension should be fine for now, it all feels the same until you start to go really fast. Definitely get a set of good tires, the softest ones you can find in the proper size (don’t need to worry about burning up tires on a 250), check out the BT-003RS which was pretty popular for the 250 a couple years ago. Pads and lines are definitely a good idea.

I’m not too worried about the trees. The track is pretty tight so I don’t think speeds will be high enough to reach the trees, except maybe at the end of the straight. I’ve seen a fair share of trackday crashes in-person and the farthest I’ve seen someone tumble is maybe 30 ft off the edge of the track. The real problem might be riders “standing the bike up” and running off the track surface, but if the track is wide enough then hopefully that will be uncommon. There are some tracks that you just know not to run off of! and others where you might get away with it.

^ 300

Yeah, I paid the R6 off. The 300 is costing me $47/mo but I’m throwing $75 a month at it to pay it down quicker. I may just screw the exhaust idea all together for this year because there are bigger priorities. I do still have CC’s that I will be knocking down this winter so I can’t throw all the money in the world at the 300 all at once. If I can get my forks set up right, tires/brakes, and track fairings before my first track day, I’d be happy. I suspect I’ll have to rent a trailer or something for the first couple months depending on funds, because I’m not sure if I’ll have ~$1k to take out of my ass for one. (Of course I also have to get my forks done on my R6 and my tank painted still) … and since me nor any of my friends know forks, and I don’t trust my life in my own hands, I gotta pay a shop to do it.

They do have emulators and pre-load adjusters and such that they sell for the 300, but as you know, me with suspension is a terrible mix :banghead I really don’t know where to start and what they all do. :Idiots

I was looking at the BT-003’s, the BT-016’s and the S20’s. Only the 003’s come in the standard 110/140 configuration, the other 2 come in 110/150, which I hear the 150 fits fine.

Looks sweet bro! I’ll be getting a dedicated track bike together this winter, 07 sv650!

Like HiSpeed said, 003RS will do just fine. Personally I would not go off size on tires unless I absolutely have no other option. You can pretty much shoe horn any size tire on your 4" rim and they will “fit fine”, at an expense of severely altering the intended tire profile.

If you are doing the forks, I would suggest finding a shop that actually knows what they are doing to do them for you. It is not really that expensive.

Enjoy!

http://www.twfracing.com/index.html

these guys here are professionals highly recommended on the sv forums

Right I know that. A guy who races his 250 and soon 300 on the track uses a 120/150 combo (Pirelli Supercorsa SC2’s) though I may try the Diablo Rosso II’s as he’s used them in a few races himself and likes the feel of them.

Basically, every tire I always use (Pilot Power 2CT’s, and then Q2’s) aren’t made to the proper size, so, it’s like figuring out what tires are good all over again.

Pilot Power 3’s are just starting to arrive too, so, gonna have to see if they offer them in the right size as well.

I was freezing my balls off today! About 40*F, and was a half hour ride home on the thruway >_<

/\ bad ass pic! lol

If everything goes well in about 2-3 weeks ill have a trailer. 2012 haulmark 5x10 enclosed. If i get it, ill either fix it and be selling it, or I am keeping it, putting Capital Region Customs down the sides and something on the back and using it. Might even rent it out too. :slight_smile:

Yo! :hug lol

I’ll be stopping by the shop real soon - probably shortly after Christmas to get the R6 tank painted. It’s been sitting in the garage waiting for me to drop it off.

is that 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

If you are asking about OP’s bike, it is 4.

[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3wHjJnZLzc”]The 2013 Kawasaki Ninja EX300! - YouTube[/ame]