The EPA Is Actively Trying To Kill Racing – Trying To Ban Converting Street Cars Into

"We don’t delve into politics here unless it is something that directly has an impact on the lives of our readers and no matter what color state you live in or what side of the aisle you support the words below are chilling and bad. The EPA is going to seek to prohibit the conversion of on-road vehicles into race cars. We don’t have to tell you how bad this would be for the high performance industry, the aftermarket, and the world of sportsman and even professional auto racing. SEMA is actively working on stopping this and they are employing all means necessary. We are sharing this to keep you informed and to keep you to date. As any news develops from this we will share it with you.Our blood runs cold when we read stuff like this and we know yours does too. Read the announcement below and read it slowly. Read it twice if you have to. Share it. Copy and paste it, do whatever you have you have to do to tell every living and breathing person you know about this so when the time comes that we can raise our voices we will. We have to.

[FONT=inherit]EPA Seeks to Prohibit Conversion of Vehicles into Racecars
SEMA To Oppose Action As Threat to Modified Racecars and Parts Suppliers[/FONT]
Washington, DC (February 8, 2016) – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has proposed a regulation to prohibit conversion of vehicles originally designed for on-road use into racecars. The regulation would also make the sale of certain products for use on such vehicles illegal. The proposed regulation was contained within a non-related proposed regulation entitled “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles—Phase 2.”
The regulation would impact all vehicle types, including the sports cars, sedans and hatch-backs commonly converted strictly for use at the track. While the Clean Air Act prohibits certain modifications to motor vehicles, it is clear that vehicles built or modified for racing, and not used on the streets, are not the “motor vehicles” that Congress intended to regulate.
“This proposed regulation represents overreaching by the agency, runs contrary to the law and defies decades of racing activity where EPA has acknowledged and allowed conversion of vehicles,” said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. “Congress did not intend the original Clean Air Act to extend to vehicles modified for racing and has re-enforced that intent on more than one occasion.”
SEMA submitted comments in opposition to the regulation and met with the EPA to confirm the agency’s intentions. The EPA indicated that the regulation would prohibit conversion of vehicles into racecars and make the sale of certain emissions-related parts for use on converted vehicles illegal. Working with other affected organizations, including those representing legions of professional and hobbyist racers and fans, SEMA will continue to oppose the regulation through the administrative process and will seek congressional support and judicial intervention as necessary.
The EPA has indicated it expects to publish final regulations by July 2016.
About SEMA
SEMA, the Specialty Equipment Market Association founded in 1963, represents the $36 billion specialty automotive industry of 6,633 member-companies. It is the authoritative source for research, data, trends and market growth information for the specialty auto parts industry. The industry provides appearance, performance, comfort, convenience and technology products for passenger and recreational vehicles. For more information, contact SEMA at 1575 S. Valley Vista Dr., Diamond Bar, CA 91765, tel: 909-610-2030, or visit www.sema.org.

yay

This is total bullshit. There is better low-hanging fruit to pick.

The wording of the actual document is super unclear. Let’s see what they’re actually trying to do with it. I’m guessing EPA will have their hands full with lead in people’s water on their watch for a bit…

:word:

Enforcement is entirely another matter.

Just another time the Supreme Court will need to step in and slap down Obama’s EPA.

This country is turning into a society of politically correct, health conscious smoothie drinking, no fun allowing douchebags and I’m sick of the “man” swooping down to manage how I live and how I enjoy myself in the name of saving the planet. I’m all for recycling, saving the ozone, and making a healthy planet but I don’t think our “race cars” are causing the majority of the problem.

http://i3.cpcache.com/product_zoom/148583504/fun_police_womens_plus_size_vneck_dark_tshirt.jpg?color=Black&height=460&width=460&padToSquare=true

Currently automobiles account for about 6.5% of all US emissions. Something like 60% is from factories, more specifically power plants and 30% coming from agriculture.

So even the auto makers meet the insane goals set for 2020+ the portion cars contribute will only go down to about 5%. While no one cares about burning coal for electricity or all the cows farting we turn into burgers.

It’s really not hard to enforce that…Build some huge fines slap a few shops with them and done.

Quit it with that sensible perspective. Americans want to feel like they’re doing something in their own lives for their own personal emotional gratification not something that yields results.

what’s that stat again… something like every time a 747 takes off it emits more than one car will for it’s whole life

yes but the general public sees cars every day so they can relate to the problem so if the government things it is important enough to make a law about it cars must be the problem.

random thought but imagine a world where a turbine engine had to equip similar emissions equipment to diesel engines in the US. you would have a jet with a massive cat, a DPF storage unit, and DEF injection. it would be impossibly expensive and impractical. Oh i wish i worked for the onion i would have fun with this one.

I’m not saying that it’s hard, I’m saying from a practical standpoint they won’t actually do it. For example a lot of the modification we do to our cars now are technically against the law, but no one has any problems with the EPA coming into their garages and stopping siiq LS1 turbo builds from happening.

But they can stop the sale of aftermarket parts (CARB comes to mind).

Or maybe, just maybe:

However:
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/images/EPA-Memo.pdf?utm_source=Details+of+EPA's+LeMons+Law+Proposal&utm_campaign=LeMons+Law+Brief&utm_medium=email

Not that these petitions ever result in anything, but it’s a whitehouse.gov petition now with over 130k signatures as of 7:20am 2/12/16

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/tell-epa-withdraw-its-proposal-prohibit-conversion-vehicles-racecars-0

If I’m the EPA I see $$$$, 130k people x $3,750 = $487,500,000 revenue.

If I were the EPA I would just randomly go to race tracks hand out $200 fines like candy. Pay $200 in 30 days and “fix” your car in the future, or face a $3750 fine and we impound of your car. Oh, this is your second violation, well here is a $400 fine.

But really you just keep your car, EPA generates a bunch of revenue.

there is this stupid thing floating around:

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/LeMons-Law-Call-to-Action.html?soid=1101762799577&aid=RCqXjCjW2uk

And EPA supports motorsports and its contributions to the American economy and communities all across the country. EPA’s focus is not on vehicles built or used exclusively for racing, but on companies that don’t play by the rules and that make and sell products that disable pollution controls on motor vehicles used on public roads. These unlawful defeat devices pump dangerous and illegal pollution into the air we breathe.

The proposed language in the July 2015 proposal was never intended to represent any change in the law or in EPA’s policies or practices towards dedicated competition vehicles. Since our attempt to clarify led to confusion, EPA has decided to eliminate the proposed language from the final rule