PA- Anti-Modified Exhaust Bill

Maybe a repost…but check it out if not…

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62538

"For the third time, legislation (H.B. 471) that would effectively prohibit the use of exhaust systems other than a “factory-installed muffler” or a “muffler meeting factory specifications” has been introduced in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives by Representative Michael K. Hanna (mhanna@pahouse.net). The bill has been referred to the House Transportation Committee.

Contact Rep. Hanna and Members of the Pennsylvania House Transportation Committee (List Attached) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 471

• H.B. 471 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

• H.B. 471 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance and utility.

• H.B. 471 would make it nearly impossible for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

• H.B. 471 perpetuates the erroneous assumption that enthusiasts who equip their vehicles with modified exhaust systems are involved in illegal street racing.

Please contact members of the House Transportation Committee in Harrisburg today to oppose this legislation. This bill unfairly tramples on the rights of vehicle enthusiasts in Pennsylvania."

Not that I support this bill, but the proposed changes actually read this way:

“Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a factory-installed muffler, a muffler meeting factory specifications or other effective noise suppressing system in good working order, in constant operation and in compliance with the maximum noise levels permitted under subsection (a).”

That sounds as though aftermarket is okay if it meets the noise requirements (which I’m sure a lot of ours don’t). I think I’m reading it differently than SEMA is.

I sent this to Rep. Hanna (primary sponsor) and Rep. Levdansky:

Could you provide some clarification to the bill that you’re sponsoring, HB471? It isn’t clear to me whether aftermarket exhausts would be allowed at all, even if they meet noise requirements. Are the options EITHER (1) factory muffler, (2) muffler meeting factory specifications, OR (3) aftermarket that meets noise requirements? Is the intent of this bill strictly to reduce noise emissions? Being both an automotive enthusiast and a mechanical engineer, I can assure you that noise output is not the only parameter driving the design of factory exhaust systems. Cost is a significant factor. Many aftermarket exhaust systems are superior to factory systems not just in performance, but also in efficiency and material quality (and hence longevity). Regarding noise emissions, there are many commercial trucks, farm equipment, and industrial machinery operating in an open environment that have far greater noise outputs than a typical automotive aftermarket exhaust system (and also a greater percentage of them). Are restrictions regarding these items also being considered?

Jesus H. Christ. When is this shit going to stop?

never, it’ll never stop as long as liberals don’t have anything more important to complain about

Keep electing democratic liberal fucksticks like Obama and it will never stop…

For what it’s worth:

Sponsors:
HANNA - Democrat (JD degree)
BOYD - Republican (BA Political Science)
BRENNAN - Democrat (BA Degree)
CARROLL - Democrat
LEVDANSKY - Democrat (BA Political Science, Labor Studies, MA Economics)
MAHONEY - Democrat
SIPTROTH - Democrat
SWANGER - Republican
WALKO - Democrat (BS Accounting, JD)
YOUNGBLOOD - Democrat (BA Human Services)
PALLONE - Democrat (BA, JD)
FABRIZIO - Democrat (BA General Arts & Science, M Ed. Counseling)
GILLESPIE - Republican
HARKINS - Democrat
MURT - Republican (BS, MA, Teacher Certification)

I expect most of what I and anyone else would say to them would be heard as blah blah technical stuff blah blah.

fucken bullshit unless they get bike too. fucken noisy pieces of shit.

Straight pipe specials at jtech…

this shit is a joke lol

Forget the exhausts…what about the damn ice cream truck I can hear from 2 miles away?

if they pass this, even a ‘cat back exhaust’ with a ‘straight through’ muffler will get you in trouble with the law. It’s just another excuse to pull you over. Yes, it’ll stop retards with weld on fart cans. But even though I paid 600$ for a full welded stainless exhaust system with a straight through muffler, I will be penalized just as bad as some retard buying a 30$ can off ebay and having a local shop weld it on in place of their OEM muffler. it WILL affect everyone with an exhaust system that doesn’t look/sound factory. You will end up in court to fight over it a million times. Again, it’s just another way for PA to make money from everyone.

drive a pre emissions car…and when they say its not factory exhaust…tell them to prove it.

What about in my case? I have a N/A Mazda3 and I took the stock exhaust off of a turbo Mazdaspeed3. The exhaust is still stock, just not for my car. I kept my catalytic converters (yes, mazda3’s have two of them for some reason), so I should be legal, right?

dont cop cars have an aftermarket style exhaust put on by the place that paints them and makes them all cop car like!?!?!?

correct me if im wrong but i think thats what they do!?!?!

it will never pass because we all know those people making the bill wont be able to drive their corvettes

you won’t have any problem because a) its fairly quiet and b) it says mazda/looks oem all over it.

its done at the factory when they order the police car, therefore its ‘factory’ its not like they went to magnaflow and had them build the cop car an exhaust. That’s what they’re saying.

its to eliminate people driving around with no exhaust or a half assed exhaust, like a fart can. What’s also bullshit is there is no DB level stated. Again, just like the stupid tint law. Instead of saying ‘okay 95db or louder = ticket’ and giving police a db meter, they instead just let cops decide whats ‘not factory’ or ‘not a muffler’ and then you have to goto court over it. It’s all in the hopes that you say ‘damnit I don’t wanna deal with this’ plead guilty pay the fine and change it back to factory or factory equivalent. I hope it doesn’t ever pass, but who knows anymore :hsugh:

Seems like this bill has been trying to be passed for like 10 years now.

Im sure as long as you queerbaits dont have some ridiculously loud fart pipe, open header or open downpipe on your car you should be okay.

cop car exhausts are no different than any other crown vic/grand marquis with a dual exhaust.

the bill won’t pass

if it does pass, it will mean nothing unless you are a ricer who is running around like a jackass anyway.

Maybe when we all stand up and raise hell about all government intrusion, not just ‘some’ of it.
http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42537&highlight=smoking+ban

Now now…

All the government is trying to do is save the planet…

http://www.pittspeed.com/uploaded/greencartoon.jpg