another exhaust ticket thread....

i know i know if you modify your exhaust expect a ticket and if you get a ticket just deal with it. but it says on the ticked no muffler. technically it didnt come with a muffler! valid argument you think?
ill probably just pay it but i was wondering if this argument would go n e where… i doubt it

So you have no muffler and got a ticket for no muffler? Id say thats a pretty valid ticket…

umm srt-4’s don’t have a factory muffler so his argument is valid.

Nah in NYS the laws are stricter. If you buy a car that’s legal somewhere else but illegal here, you need to modify it until it’s legal.

A cop told me STi’s stock wings are illegal in nys because they go more than half up the back window >:E

I got a ticket in a stratus r/t once for stock window tint

some rx7s don’t pass emissions in california stock =\

that’s a whole lot of noise i would argue til i became blue in the face. I got out of a tint ticket because i told the DA i purchased the car from miami… which i did… but that it came tinted… she dropped all tickets. Cops just get bored, don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself.

If you’re good at arguing it can go anywhere. I know of a few people who were above the legal decibels on aftermarket exhausts and were able to talk their way out of it in court.

+1.

But I do have a feeling he is not running stock exhaust.

:banghead:

no im not… but the judge wont know… and its not that loud…:roflpicard:

If the car was bought stock and they wrote you a ticket I would definitely argue it. AFAIK you’re not expected to modify a car from manufacturer stock condition in order to meet road-legal requirements. This is ridiculous and would be an undue hardship on the consumer.

lucky i have a shop that rights me receipts saying they “swapped” my aftermarket stuff for the stock crap.

hasnt failed me yet

I just got a new mid-pipe and muffflaa for xmas!:nerd:

You’ll should be fine if you argue correctly, GL.

hmm maybe ill try this one!

Ya i need something like that as well. Im really hoping to get out of a tint ticket by a shop saying they removed it and just bringing the slip to the police station.

+1

did the cop have a decibel meter? If not the they will throw out the ticket… happened to me, if there is no numeric reading to go with it, its the officer’s opinion, nothing more.

does ya need something written off by an inspector? just bring it to my work again and ill sign off on it

this is not correct. the officer doesn’t need a decibel meter for the ticket to be valid. the officer’s opinion goes pretty far in court.

edit: maybe if you get a lawyer and drag it into a trial it may end up getting it dismissed because of no meter, but that sounds like more trouble than it’s worth.

welp, i went into Orchard Park town court, told the prosecutor that i had mufflers on my car and the officer had no decibel meter (at the advice of my friend’s mom who is a lawyer and former DA for the town of Evans), dismissed. So idk what to tell ya.

i wasn’t calling you a liar, i’m just saying these tickets get enforced all the time without a decibel meter. i’m sure it can’t hurt to bring it up in court.

The law states that you can’t modify the exhaust in any way that would make it louder than stock. Just like window tint, it is not a “fix it” ticket but most judges will drop it if you present evidence that it is fixed. I never used a decibel meter when I wrote tickets for exhaust. I guess you could ask the officer if he knows the noise level of a stock srt4 and then how much louder yours was. Usually, the judge just takes the officer’s word that it was loud.

If the car came from the factory with no muffler you might be able to fight it but if you are registering and driving it in NY you are at a loss.

In NY state, any modification that changes the sound of the muffler and exhaust system louder than it was from the factory is illegal.