Got a few tickets tonight...

and the cop exercised his automotive knowledge for me :tup:

a little backround first…Im having clutch issues, where my car bucks and slips under acceleration…

So Im coming home from a friends house, I was lightly playing with the throttle in 3rd, feeling the car slip and jerk, maybe doing like 40 or so. I pass a cop and he turns around and pulls me over. He ask me for licence and stuff… then says “what kind of car is this?” I say subaru. When he says I was speeding, I try to get out of the ticket by saying I’m having clutch issues and was just playing around a bit to make sure what it is. I also mention I have an aftermarket “axleback exhaust”…“it’s just a muffler” that is a tad louder, so maybe he thought I was going faster cause the sound…maybe not the best tactic, but it’s 2am and I was a little out of it. He comes back with 2 tickets! one is for the muffler, he says in NY I cannot have any other muffler than stock!!! WTF! so if I go to Midas they’re gonna get a stock muffler shipped from Subaru?!? I dont think so. I have the friggin’ BORLA HUSHBACK, it’s quiet as hell, not ticket material.

now for the best part…he says he’s giving me a ticket for 45 in a 30, and says “If you want, you can mention your carburator problems to the prosecutor, and that may help”:rofl:

maybe I should have busted out my phillips head screwdriver and had him help me tune in the idle right there on the side of the road…that probably would have fixed my issues…

I don’t expect everyone to be and expert…but come on dude!:mamoru:

I believe the law is that you have to have an exhaust that is comparable to (no louder than) stock. Admitting your muffler was louder was definitely enough grounds to give you a ticket for it.

what town?

yes, I am an idiot for admitting that, lets just say I got away good with those two tickets…im not always an idiot if you know what i mean…

it was in Kenmore. He gave me a “fix-it” form, can I just pay a fine without fixing it? I won’t get pulled over for the exhuast, I just got the ticket cause I said that.

Im going to bed now to dream about my defence…

If your exhaust is “quiet as hell”, then just go their and tell them it is a new stock one.

Buy a domestic…run open headers…be done with it.

^truth

When I had my z28, I went thru a seatbelt/reg checkpoint. Bald back tires, pretty loud flowmaster exhaust, and no inspection sticker at all. Cop said ‘nice car’ and waved me on.

It is against the law to run any exhaust other than the stock one. I got a ticket for exhaust on my subaru back in the day because the cop felt like being a prick. He claimed my car at idle was louder than the semis roaring past at 75mph. I ran a milder sounding exhaust, not as quiet as the Borla Hush, but still “stock appearing” and only slightly louder.

What is “LOUD”?. The law shouldn’t be subjective to the law enforcers “opinion”…we have decibles as an accurate gauge for noise levels and Decimeters are a very cheap tool for measuring noise levels…

Anybody know what the law is?

for shits and giggles, I had a Decimeter on me one day and followed an Amherst Police harley which was pushing out 98dB.

Mine was mic’d at 93 10ft directly behind the car at TMP for track day and 87 10ft from the passenger side of the car…that was from idle to a rev to about 5k

I agree. I was pacing a trooper at like 80 on the 90w in the supercharged 96 tbird, he stopped and pulled me over, i turned off overdrive, the 4’’ basanni was popping loud as hell.

Cop says to me ‘thats one sharp car, now slow the hell down’, then gets back in his car and leaves.

this thread is worthless. u were ass-clowning in kenmore while speeding, u have a stupid sounding muffler, your clutch was prolly not slipping - u just suck at driving. it’s not the cops job to know car stuff, it’s his job to catch u breaking the law. now quit whining and pay your fines.

Your friend must live down the street from me cause I saw your car on my street at about 12:30-1am

To paraphrase the actual wording of the VAT (Vehicle and Traffic code):

You are not allowed any exhaust modification that makes the car louder than stock

Here is the actual wording of Title 3, Article 9, Section 31 of the VAT; the one that deals with the muffler system:

1. Mufflers and exhaust systems. Prevention of noise. Every motor
    vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all
    times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in
    constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or
    unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped
    with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the
    muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will
    amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of
    such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system
    originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and
    exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.

So basically, cop’s knowledge > your knowledge.

If you’re interested, you can search the entire thing here:
http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us
Just click on “Laws of NY” and read.

who drives through kenmore?

Christ I avoid that stretch of delaware always.

haha. you sound like me.

That aside, i’m curious as to how your clutch is causing the car to buck and jerk… also, kenmore is a reallll shitty place to do that kinda thing.

Hahaha and I got pulled over in cheektowaga yesterday about noonish for tints and no front plate. supprisingly he let me go, i had a legit reason for the no plate because prior accident but no reason for the 30% tints up front.He asked me a shit load of times if there was drugs in the car though

Go back to the police station in the Town you got the ticket WITHIN 24 HOURS, tell them you had Subaru fix the exhaust, and that ticket will be dropped.

Don’t mention the other ticket.

X…

that’s because we are the same person; except, i’m not gay or bi. :slight_smile:

i can’t stand morons.

So you were speeding with an illegal exhaust and you got ticketed for speeding and an illegal exhaust? Who would have seen that coming in Kenmore? :gotme:

Hope you get your bucking clutch fixed! :tup: