stupid exhaust law (which ive never seen inforced)

My dad was telling me that his coworker got pulled over in Brentwood a few weeks ago and had a court hearing today and lost.

This is what he was cited for:

§ 4523. Exhaust systems, mufflers and noise control.
(a) Compliance with established sound levels.–Every motor vehicle operated on a highway shall be constructed, equipped, maintained and operated so as not to exceed the sound level for the vehicle as prescribed in regulations promulgated by the department. The test procedures and instrumentation to be utilized shall also be established by regulation.

(b) Compliance with exhaust requirements.–In addition to any requirements established under sections 4531 (relating to emission control systems) and 4532 (relating to smoke control for diesel-powered motor vehicles), every motor vehicle shall be constructed, equipped, maintained and operated so as to prevent engine exhaust gases from penetrating and collecting in any part of the vehicle occupied by the driver or passengers.

(c) Mufflers and related equipment.–Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device.

(d) Unauthorized modification of equipment.–No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle above the maximum levels permitted under subsection (a) or violate the provisions of subsection (b). Headers and side exhausts are permitted provided the vehicle meets all the requirements of this section.

(e) Fire equipment and racing vehicles.–This section does not apply to fire equipment or to racing vehicles being operated in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under a permit issued by local authorities.

he drives a higher end sports car. (not sure what) what the hell is the point of buying a V8 sports car and leaving the exhaust system stock?

i heard of this a lot

gay

really? see i’ve known about the (vehicle must not have a modified suspension) and the exhaust law. but how many depts really inforce it?

well the fine totals $185.00, so my next question is…

say you kept getting pulled over and harassed about a your exhaust, would you go back to stock or tell the dept to screw off? (im talking about normal aftermarket exhausts, not straight pipe or headers to dumps on a v8 or some shit like that.)

got that ticket…but it was better than the speeding ticket it replaced…just wish i kept it

I think I’m missing a detail or 2. Why, exactly, was he cited? There’s 5 subsections there.

How was any alleged wrongdoing discovered?

he was cited for modification to an exhaust system cop wrote up 4523 and no sub section.

im guessing he was caught “wrong doing” when he drove past a cop and he heard his exhaust :dunno:

got one of these in fox chapal… it was thrown out though… I meen guy said official modification of your car it was dumb.

Short of pulling off the cat, I don’t see any issues arising from that statute. Unless there’s no muffler on the car at all, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be legal. I haven’t looked up the referenced statutes, though. Maybe I’m just missing it…

if i ever got pulled over for stupid shit like loud exhaust and suspension and if it was all legal i would look at the cop and tell him to suck my dick cause i bought the car and therefore i should be able to do what ever the hell i want to it as long as it is not going to endanger someone else or my own wellbeing. if it passes inspection it’s legal is what i would say. to hell with all this you can’t do this you can’t do that to your own damn car that you work long and hard to buy and maintain. i’ll be damned if someone is going to break me down and tell me what i can’t or can do. i mean don’t get me wrong somethings i do agree with but i mean come on. if i want to run around with a loud exhaust so be it as long as there is a muffler and a cat. and if i want to run around throwing sparks while im laying frame so be it im only causing damage to my own vehicle.

yea its been a law for awhile now.i havent saw it inforced much tho.i mean hell u could pull somone over every 5 minutes.

I don’t necessarily have a problem with a noise limit. I have a problem with how nebulous the laws are written. Reading the subsections above, can you really tell how loud is too loud? I sure can’t. The text keeps referring to section a but section a doesn’t say anything. If it said xx db at 100 feet at standard temperature/humidity then it would be meaningful.

This is the equivalent of a speed trap, IMO. It is written to give the locality some lattitude to increase revenue when they need to.

…and don’t even get me started on the uneven enforcement between cars and motorcycles… that really gets me going.

you go girl.

ohh i know!

Let us know how that works out. I see pepper spray in your future. :smiley:

I got that exact ticket before in my RoadRunner …In Upper St.Clair …cop pulled me over walked by the ass end of the car and goes …Uh thats too loud …and was a total dick about it

excuse me i aint no bitch:blanyer:

that law is sofaking dumb…i would have told the cop unless you have a decibel meter don’t write that ticket. Same thing with sound systems…my mom almost got a ticket because “i can hear your system inside the police building” gee there are two twelves in the back and the station is about 10 feet from the stoplight…my mom is 40…she isn’t knocking a system like someone my age would…cops are full of shit

buddy about a year ago got pulled and cited for the same thing, somwhere around prp. (but them cops out that way are d*ck as it is)

I got cited 2 years ago in homestead, my I had a carb legal DC catback on at the time, it got thown out. cop dident show.

Yet i Never got pulled over with my turbo car and I have a 2’ downpipe and that was all…the pipe dident make it to my firewall…