stupid exhaust law (which ive never seen inforced)

the key word to this thread was “brentwood”

they tried to pull that shit with me in the GS. he was like thats not stock exhaust… i said “prove it” “go check your books on whats stock for a 70 buick GS stage 1” he didn’t know what to say. He gave me the ticket anyway and i went to bova and threw it in his face and told him the same thing and he threw it out.

Still need a decibel meter though…

so cliffnotes are that they really cant do anything unless they have a decibel meter correct? and if they do write a ticket just for “thinking” its too loud it will probably get thrown out?

That chapter specifies the means to measure the sound levels of a vehicle for inspection. It clearly states what surface it can be measured on, distances, measuring procedures etc. If a cop doesn’t follow those, i don’t see how he can clearly measure it in the eyes of the state.

I read a story about a guy with a stock 2000 Cobra-R, who got pulled over because his stock exhaust was too loud.

Cobra-R comes stock with a Bassani fitted for it. It was known to be borderlining the exhaust dB limits. Although some smaller towns may set their own limits… but the question is, are they equipping cops with dB readers? So thats gotta suck, stock car gettin a ticket for stock exhaust lol

For the law your dad says is being enforced, the cops need to have a dB reader with them.

whats total bull shit is every fucking harley!!! they wake me up from a heavy slumber and massive thunderstorms can’t even do that. loud pipes don’t save lives thats just excuse to be a wanna be hard ass on a poorly built bike.

i was cited under the non-stock exhaust bullshit last may. I was actually pulled over for accelerating above the speed limit to merge onto 60 from montour run. The officer didnt have a way to prove i was speeding so he wanted to get me for something else. I ended up just paying the ticket because i knew fighting it would just open a whole can of worms i didnt want to deal with.

The offier actually asked me to step out of the car and used his baton to show me that there was no baffling in my muffler. He explained that he didnt like hearing loud cars in his neighborhood and no else does either.

I also wanted to mention that a car shouldnt pass inspection in PA with certain modifications done to it. They however do pass most of the time. It would actually come back the inspection station if you blamed them for passing your car.

Jimmy

guy i know, got pulled over and ticketed for a “faulty exhaust system” well it wasnt faulty it was just how it was so he pleaded his case in front of the court and won. instead of being too loud the cop wrote it up as faulty.

i’ve never had a problem around here with mine, but everytime i pass a cop i throw it in 5th so its rather quiet. But after this i am being concerned i could get a ticket.

i think a lot of tickets come out of how you deal with the officer. i know when he gave me a ticket i knew he wasn’t a car guy and cared less if i had a nice muscle car. so i gave it right back to him. i noticed with a nice domsetic a good bit of cops will tell you nice car and let you go… with a fart canned import…well ur a victim of the stigmatism that goes with it, the cop is gonna take you for a punk kid and probably wants to teach you a lesson. also bringing attention to urself by speeding is just askin for more trouble if you know your exhaust is loud.

as far as the inspection, i can’t say that they are required to check if its stock but more so if its safely secure and not full of holes. the emissions is the test that should sniff out the aftermarket pieces.

i been hearing that this has been going on off and on for years, like cutty said import guys will probably get it worse do to all the ricers reving up on anything with a motor. so it will basiclly be luck of the draw or what your doing pryor do being pulled over. i’ll run what i got on my car until i actually see them crack down on harleys and these other cruiser wanna be harley bikes that sound worse than any import i ever heard in my life.

Alot of SRT owners on the main board i visit get pulled over for the stock exhaust bc there are no mufflers. Just to resonators/cat/turbo.

Usualy they have to get some documentation from the dealer(pictures and such) stating its stock and it meets Californias noise standards(since their the strictist in the US) of under 92db. Now my catless dp, thats a different story.

Thanks for that. Never dug in that deep. That is indeed a proper way to measure sound and note that they define it based on vehicle weight and at different speeds. I have absolutely no problem with that.

However, the way the law is enforced, they go and give you a ticket without a proper measurement of your “violation”. That is the equivalent of giving a speeding ticket from a cruiser that has no radar, no VASCAR setup and no speedometer. Not really fair and in my opinion just plain unAmerican.

it is unfair but they make things such a hassle to fight it. most people have jobs and would rather not miss a day of work to go to court for some hard on borough cop. city officers don’t give a shit unless someone specifically complains.

well i got 4 inch and some bullets on my stang and ive never got pulled over here in altoona,cant believe it because i think its to loud myself. but im sure if i run into the wrong cop he willl be writin me some tickets,well if he can catch me!

They even specify that it is A-weighted db. The way that code is written is how the tint laws should also be written.

i guess some people have had bad luck from this law…
I’ve been pulled over before with straight pipe and the cop let me go… :dunno:

my future brother in law got that ticket,but he had a v8 headers magnaflow cat conv and pipes out to under the bumber no muffler, i never heard it but i heard it now with the borla muffler and it’s loud, what the heck is up with brentwood/whitehall? everytime i drive on 51 they got a speed trap set up 1/2 mile before ya get to the getgo. they’re always pullin someone over it’s silly

thats funny how they may say your exhaust is too loud but they test it by going a certain speed and measuring decibels 50 feet away.

that link says below 35mph and above 35mph…giving decibel levels for each speed.

I dont know that many cars short of full race high compression open header cars that will be that loud going 35mph or faster in their top gear. my car cruising in 4th gear at 80mph is pretty darn quiet… but reving it seems pretty loud.