Is there a Legal decible rating for exhaust?

A month ago i was having turtle creek cops follow me from turtle creek to about monroeville mall and they would turn around. Im thinking its because my exhaust(SLP loudmouth 1) might be past the limit. I still have the stock exhaust manifolds and cat converter. The reason i no they would follow me is because they would see me at a corner and id wait 4 traffic to pass and they would b a street up from me. As soon as i would make my turn they would fly down the street parrallel to the street i was on and would b waiting 4 me at the next intersection then get right behind me and ride my ass really close. The 1 time it was so bad i could even see the cops head lights. I just saw his light bar at the top. I would pull out as slow as possible and wouldnt do no more then 1mph over the limit. Im thinking maybe 1 of the neighbors might have called the cops on me. Cause a few times i was running late and i took off out of there. But ya i was wondering if there is a decible limit??

I hate ass riding cops.

I just slow down to 10 under. Fuck em’

i always said fk em. Then again… cops have never given me a problem? I don’t know what the exact dB limit is, or if there even is one. but in order to get cited, they need a dB meter to cite you.

You fit the stereotype of a street racer. You have a sports car with a loud exhaust. You are going to turn heads… the good ones and the bad ones. No avoiding it

Thats deffinetly the truth. Its funny cause i dont street race because 1 its stupid and 2 because it would be easy 2 catch me cause its loud.

I wouldn’t worry about it. I would just try to be courteous to your neighbors. Unless the cop has a dB reader, he can’t do shit to you. But I think the law states around 99-100dB for exhausts.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter157/chap157toc.html

I dont following everything it says there.whats the difference between hard and soft site?

Hard site is gravel, asphalt, concrete, etc

Soft site is grass, dirt, or other ‘off road’ surface.

It’s there to define the limits on each surface - as they reflect sound differently. (a.k.a covering their ass)

ic.makes sence.well i guess putting headers and O/R pipe on is out of the question…

no headers and an ory is still def. doable. I have long tube headers and an ory w/ no cats going through a magnaflow and it is very tame.

Most cops don’t even have the equipment to measure decibels - let alone know how to use it and the proper way to measure it. Knowing this, I would say go ahead and try. If they cite you without measuring properly, you could always fight it, put some exhaust on, and have them measure it officially.

If the Campbell X Pipe on Bogus’ 99 4V Cobra didn’t get trouble from cops, I’m sure you will be fine.

7k RPM in that car sounded like a stock car.

Just try not to give them any other reason to pull you over either (like being so high out of your mind that you blow a stop sign and then wonder why you are being “harrassed”) :slight_smile:

they never bother me.

Looks like there’s plenty of questions you can ask in court and cause reasonable doubt, as far as I can see it should be easy to beat one of these tickets.

i agree. unless you can show me a cop that drives around with a decibal reader, go ahead and put headers and an O/R pipe on. hell most local shops around me don’t even have decibal readers. i was in this same situation. except i got pulled over for having an illegally modified exhaust which was a fart can on an otherwise stock cavalier. i wasn’t up to knowledge on this when i was ticketed. so i fought it and won.

when i had the SLP LM1 and mac o/r H on my cobra i got stopped a few times. many compliments and a few haters.
i know a guy who told me he got stopped in south park back in the day he had a 66 vette with a 70 LT1 motor. The cop actually tested the decibel level of the car. The car had factory side exhaust on it and they still gave him a hard time

my brother was in my civic today and i was behind him driveing and a cop got between us and followed the civic for a few exits then got off my exit then followed a bit more then turned off… hhaha

i think he was scanning the plates and shit but yeah the civic is a little noise maker :stuck_out_tongue:

if the fuckers on the harley’s with their shitty ass sound don’t get bothered, I think you will be fine. :slight_smile:

That Harley racket is the most abrasive sound on the road. Why TF do they need to rev five times at every light, and at least 20 times in the damn tunnel? For some reason there is no crackdown on that type of noise…with the exception of upper class neighborhoods who have the cash to enforce it.