THE **iPhone** Thread (GPS, JailBreak, Apps, Etc)

“AIM” - Free 7/10
It’s AIM, for your phone. Nuff said.

“YPMobile” - Free 8/10
Yellow pages for your phone. Better interface than searching from the map. Will chain out to maps if you click on an address.

“Shazam” - Free 9/10
Song identification. Let it listen to any song for 8 seconds and it will give you title, artist and album. Tries to find youtube or itunes samples.

“Weatherbug” - Free 7/10
Their forecasts suck, but real time weather readings for temp, humidity, wind speed and direction > that delayed shit from the weather channel.

www.iweathr.com” - Free, 10/10
Not an app, but a website to get animated radar live from NOAA. > * when you’re enjoying the outdoors and trying to decide if that dark cloud is bringing storms or shade.

“Sportstap” - Free ?/10
Real time sports scores. Can’t rate it yet because I hate baseball. When football and hockey start up I’ll start using it and see how good it is at being “real time”.

“myLite” - Free 10/10
It’s a flashlight. I thought it was dumb but I’ve used it a bunch of times since I installed it and it works as advertised. Hard to knock a free simple app that does what it claims.

“Labyrinth LE” - Free 8/10
Cool game to show off the accelerometers. Needs more levels, but that’s what the paid version is for I suppose.

“Dynolicious” - 12.99 10/10
It’s a pretty accurate dyno for $13. How the fuck can you argue with that if you’re a gearhead? Nuff said.

“Break Classic” - Free 8/10
Breakout, for your phone. The simple yet addictive classic from your Atari youth.

“Cube Runner” - Free 6/10
A simple drive a triangle through a bunch of obstacles game using the tilt meter. Something to do if you’re stuck in a long line or conference call.

so on an unlocked iPhone, we shouldn’t have any App issues correct?

Don’t update the firmware on the phone to 2.0.1. It cannot be unlocked yet.

is it easy to unlock?

yes (jailbreak), unlocking not yet possible on 3g phones

Teathering used to be a big nono on edge, not sure about 3g

Data is covered in the monthly bill… “unlimited” (pretty sure there is a cap)

would yahoo work? I can set one up there.

either that or u/l it to something like {http://www.woofiles.com/}

There was an app that hit the apple app store called NetShare that allowed tethering but they pulled it super fast. Supposedly it’s still out there somewhere but I don’t have an iphone so I didn’t bother looking for it.

i just found a whole bunch of iphone apps on ngs

2.0 can be un-lock now! The 3G is not yet.

right on :tup:

iPhone 2.0 Apps and Games
iPhone 2.0 Games Pack

2.0.1 has GPS features but doesn’t include any native apps yet. Its just rumored because in the SDK there is additions to the development tree.

If you jailbreak, I would wait until the new release comes out of WinPWN

Jailbroken = Software (Applications)

Unlock = Hardware (Network)

Where did you hear that 2.0.1 had anything to do with updated gps routines? Everything I’ve read said that won’t be touched until the 2.1 firmware. The updated routines to pull speed and direction are in the 2.1 sdk.

Generally with any software you wouldn’t get a major new feature like turn by turn with such a minor revision number change (ie 2.0 to 2.0.1). The 2.0.1 designation implies it’s nothing more than bugfixes.

that is not a generality, it is an industry standard. OSX Version numbers are the same way too.

App thread bump

Much better :tup:

let the App reviewing re-commence.

thank you

“Loopt” - Free - 6/10
This App shows you where you, and your other friends with Loopt are. You have to “ping” them and they must approve before you can see their location. So you can’t just stalk people with iPhones.

Just been playing with it since last night, and I can already tell it isn’t that accurate. I’m apparently sitting in the middle of Lake erie right now, while at work off of Tifft St, about a mile from the water. It could definitely come in handy on those nights when your out DT with a group of people barhopping, and trying to meet up with a bunch of different people. But again, it would need to be more accurate before it was truly useful and I guess it depends on where you are.

You can also use it to find restaurants and bars in the area you are in. But there are plenty of other apps that do that as well.