The OFFICIAL Gun Thread.

knowledge incorrect.

does the place in amsterdam usually have better prices than bj and taylor adn vadney? BJ guns has never beaten the prices i got at Taylor they come right out and tell me theyre not selling the gun for the price taylor gives me.

What gun?

so far…a bodygaurd 380 they were 40 bucks higher, a kahr cw40 they were higher, and a cheap garbage ak they were both way too high on.

Just bought all of the parts to convert my Saiga into a legal AK.
Arsenal single stage trigger group (counts as 3 922r parts)
Tapco grip screw
Power Custom hammer/trigger pin retainer plate
Tapco gas piston (1 922r part)
RAM AK trigger guard
Bullet guide kit (so the gun will accept AK mags)
Bolt-on lower handguard retainer (allows use of AK handguards)
Gas tube (allows use of AK handguards)
Tapco TimberSmith Russian Red AK stock set (3 922r parts)
http://www.dinzagarms.com/furniture/timbersmith/ts-red-1.jpg

I really wanted a legit wooden stock set for the gun as I want it to closely resemble a “classic” AK47 look. I think it’ll look great.

For those that don’t know, 922r compliance is required by federal law if you convert an imported semi-auto rifle or shotgun and remove it’s “sporting” purpose. If it has a mag capacity of over 10rds (5 for shotgun) or a pistol grip, it is no longer “sporting.” What it requires is that only 10 or less parts out of the possible 17 parts (14-15 for Saigas and SKS) be imported parts. So essentially, you need to get up to 7 (or 4-5 for Saigas and SKS) parts that were made in the USA.

Here’s a calculator to help w/ the conversion process (I know v8lonoma may need it soon):
http://jobson.us/922r/

If you follow that link, you’d see it’s easy to get the US parts required for 922r compliance. Using a US-made magazine counts as three 922r parts (body, follower, floorplate) so only one or two more required. I didn’t wanna use magazine parts to achieve compliance as the second an imported magazine is inserted, the gun becomes illegal. There are no US-made pre-ban mags available for AKs, and 10rd mags in an AK is just plain sacrilegious.

If anyone has any questions about compliance, I’ve done enough research to be able to offer my help.

excuse my ignorance but whats the point to this over buying an actual ak and wouldnt and actual ak be cheaper?

No. Saigas are made in Russia in the same factory as the AKs that are illegal in NYS. You could buy a Romanian WASR for around $600 locally, but they are much lower in quality (Google WASR quality control). You could buy an Arsenal, which is an already converted Saiga, but none are offered with wooden stocks.

My total cost including gun is around $725.

You’re my new hero.

you should send me links to all the parts.

No prob, let me gather them all. I ordered from two places, Midway and Danzig (who specializes in Saiga/SK stuff). I’ll prolly re-edit the post I made w/ links instead.

EDIT:
If you scroll over the parts I listed you’ll see they are links.

Also, w/ the TimberSmith stock set, it includes a grip nut/bushing and screw, so the Tapco one I bought is not needed for me.

I also got more parts for 922r compliance than needed. I have seven parts, only five are needed if you convert to pistol grip, four if you’re just doing mags >10 rounds.

hmmm. now i want to finish my somewhat converted saiga, and then start a new one.

Russian Red makes me hard. just ask killerblackbird.

:rofl
There are still at least 3 NDS3 AK47’s at the gunshop, identical to mine - not sure if you could have one transferred to NY or not.

How much? They have muzzle brakes right?

Yes, the “slant” muzzle brake. Asking price is $803, they’re stamped with a number 11 inside an oval on the receiver so they are Polish made. Supposedly the Polish AK’s have better components, which in comparison to my Romanian AK pistol I can easily see the difference.

thanks good to know. How do they stack up to a preban norinco or poly same Quaility? or better?

I have a polish AK74 and I love it. Will they sell a long gun to ny resident?

Good question.

As long as it’s a brake and not a flash hider. Easy identification of such by viewing the exit port of the part. If it’s closed with opening .030" bigger than the bullet, it’s a brake. Wide open, it’s a flash hider. Latter of the two not legal in NY.

Looks like this:

http://www.sporterexpress.com/images/230-158a.jpg

I guess its legal as long as the firearm meets the state requirements the gun owner is from. Magazines are not preban either…

i may just buy a saiga 7.62 and a saiga 5.45 and convert them both with the red wood that i love and have a set of twins.

the saiga i already have i just need to finish the conversion.

You could always do a Saiga 12 an convert it. That’d be fun to shoot I think.