The Rapid Move To All Electric (But Real Goal = No Personal Cars)

So 4 months later I’m happy enough with the Tesla YP we got that I just preordered the Hummer EV. I really want cybertruck but looks like it might be 2-3 more years based on how many of those have been preordered.

1 Like

Cool feedback, how many miles do you put on your cars yearly? Ever do long road trips? Do you plan on pulling a trailer with your truck for a decent distance?

I’d say about 20-25k total between all the vehicles. I try to ride the Buell all summer weather permitting. Jeannine mostly works from home now so that helps. We’ve been doing one road trip a year and would probably use the jeep with a trailer.

I do like the look of that electric silverado, but 100+k to tow 20,000 lbs for 100 miles seems like a steep price to pay.

Im probably misremembering those specs though.

I can’t get a EV. I do way too many road trips a year. Some 7hrs each time one way. I’m about to do a trip from Buffalo to WV, SC, FL, GA, WV and back to Buffalo. Definitely something that would be a pain in the ass in an EV. I’m averaging about 20k miles a year right now give or take.

Just look at the issues The StraighPipes on YouTube had (great channel to subscribe to, btw), regarding charging stations and overall issues with the EVs recently. Wait till more are on the road. Nope.

I’d still like to have one in our two car household, especially with our solar, but I need the SUV for long trips and towing (and occasional long towing trips) so it can’t be replaced with an EV, and I love my AWD convertible so no real options to replace it either. I plan to keep the S5 a long time though so by the time I’m ready to trade it there might be a reasonably priced electric convertible. Or who knows, by then I may be bored with the convertible and not care if the replacement is a fixed roof.

I have no real desire to want one. Our current vehicle strategy is that my wife gets a nice new car and I daily drive the cheapest thing I can get my hands on. This allows me to spend my car money on the cool things in the garage that don’t depreciate in value like a Tesla jumping some rail road tracks.

That being said, my wife is driving a nice new truck and I’m driving an old Mercury Grand marquis, I don’t think i’ll be able to replace the Mercury with electric for $6000.

3 Likes

You own like ten cars though…
You should tesla swap one of them.
That rail road jumper should be a good candidate for drivetrain.

11 right now lol, but ima sell a few soon I think. I’m going to pick up a 1965 el Camino here in a couple weeks, has a 420ci dart small block.

My buddy has a nice Mazda rx7 he is planning on doing an awd Tesla swap in. I’ll let him do it first and see how that goes. Something about burning gas and a crazy cam just makes me smile.

3 Likes

2 Likes

I’ve been driving the new Escalade V and they are building mine the week of the 18th… mucho awesomeo

2 Likes

So did some math because I thought it would be ridiculous but payback on the hummer ev vs my sierra is 12 years at current electric and gas prices, just counting fuel cost.
Costs roughly $.09/mile for the hummer and $.31/mile for the sierra.
15k miles year
$100k for the hummer and $60k for the sierra

1 Like

Fucking love that they are making that truck.
When does ordering open to public?

Not sure yet, I’ll post some pictures when I can. If you haven’t hear it yet, check out the sound clip on caddy’s site. This is a super cool set up.

Ah yes it doesn’t move but it moves the earth beneath it

2 Likes

Love the way that thing sounds. Wish they’d put this drivetrain in the Sierra, IRS and all.

Keep your eyes at the next GM SEMA booth. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And what happens if the battery is needing to be replaced after about 10 yrs? I believe most EV’s have like 10 yr warranty on the batteries now. (Could be wrong)
in

Same thing I do with my phone, buy a new one

Edit: Ah but he wouldn’t hit the payback…