The Rapid Move To All Electric (But Real Goal = No Personal Cars)

Because In some political circles this is a feature not a bug. (Restricting travel, reliance on public transportation, demographic shift to dense population centers requiring shorter trips, etc.)

1 Like

Something I’ve been saying for a long time with the push for EV. Our electric grid is a joke. Every year we get told on the news and by national grid that the power is being maxed because of all the AC units running. Not run those and add thousands of cars on top of an already shitty electric grid. Sounds great.

EV charging peak load typically won’t line up with AC peak load since most people will have their cars scheduled to charge overnight, and I’m sure by the time EV’s hit mainstream most electric companies will have switched to ToU pricing (Time of Use) where you get billed a higher rate during peak times and a lesser rate during off peak to encourage more people to charge their cars off peak. Even still, the energy required to charge all these cars is looong beyond the capacity of our grid no matter how you stagger it.

A model utility with two to three million customers would need to invest between $1,700 and $5,800 in grid upgrades per EV through 2030, according to Boston Consulting Group. Assuming 40 million EVs on the road, that investment could reach $200 billion.

1 Like

The EV tax credit legislation advanced for full debate in the senate. The new bill has the credit going up to $12500 and no longer phasing out after 200k vehicles sold by each manufacturer but with some interesting catches.

1. Vehicle has to be less than $80k. I love this because I’ve always hated the idea of tax payers subsidizing someone’s $100k car.
  2. The base credit is $7500. An additional $2500 if it’s made in the US, and another $2500 if it’s in the US using UAW labor.

That 2nd one is interesting, because it’s a direct shot at Tesla and VW and their non-union shops. It’s also a shot at GM and Ford who both recently committed to building EV’s in Mexico. Should be interesting to see how that plays out. I’m not a big union backer but if we’re going to be spending tax money to incentivize something I’m all for requiring it be made here in the US.

1 Like

I’m game for this because I my wife wants to be first in line for the Lyriq. Plus why not get some of my hard earned tax money back :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

GM says they’re going to build it in TN and I’m sure that’s a union shop so if the bill survives as is as long as you don’t option it over $80k you’d get the full $12500 credit. GM says the base model is $60k.

Dealer markup for the first x amount of months will probably put it over $80k. haha

Anyone know how that works with GM employee pricing? @ultradriver10000 ?

I have to say I would like an electric car, but only because I can currently plug it in at work for free.

Until more than 8 people try to charge.

No idea yet, it isn’t in the system officially but if it’s the same as the other cars figure 15% off Msrp ish. Only kicker is if they don’t do it or possibly give more incentive to buy.

1 Like

Might be a pay wall:

The installation shop can complete the most minimal conversions of a good, straight VW-like donor car in as little as 60 days. However, the shop is booked out for five to six years, Mr. Bream said.

GM’s Electric Cruise and Connect packages will also include electric steering and braking systems to supplant the former, belt-driven accessories. And here’s a kick in the head: Most conversions are reversible.

Bi-directional charging—technology that allows battery-electric vehicles to supply power to the home and, further upstream, to the grid—has the potential to transform the way Americans consume, share, generate and move by electricity, while saving billions in public money.

Tesla cars do not, as yet, support bi-directional charging—after all, that’s what the Powerwalls are for. But as the national rolling stock transitions to electrification, the wisdom of Ford’s approach will become self-evident. It will make no sense for houses to be dark while days’ worth of electrical power are just sitting in the driveway.

Didn’t read the article but the last car I think I’d ever purchase that was all electric would be a Jaguar with their history of electrical problems.

1 Like

Jags are fucking trash. Right behind them is LR/RR. Worst electrical engineering I’ve seen in a car.

1 Like

Are they still trash since Ford got rid of them? I know when Ford owned them they were nightmares, and fucking hideous.

LOL every electrical part I replaced on my RRS had a ford emblem on it. The rear hatch switch would fail and literally fill up with water and the randomly open.

2 Likes

Yup, mom’s F-pace has been in the shop for well over 6 months now with 1800 miles on it. Can’t figure out why the battery dies after 3 days. My other friends diesel f pace blew a hole though the block at 52k. And my aunts sedan won’t come out of park. Was at dealer for 3 weeks. Junk junk junk

1 Like

Damn that’s too bad, they’re good looking cars now

Yep… Not surprised. I’ve been talking about this for some time. Just wait until fire season kicks in and they cut the power for days.

PLEASE STOP CHARGING YOUR CARS! :joy:

3 Likes

It’s all a plan to push everyone into public transportation.