The Time Is Coming To Build a House

To remain sane, I know which arguments to pursue and which to drop. Besides, who wants to see me on a stripper pole?? :puke:

I guess that is a common notion. But we are dead set on having that 3rd floor. We wanted it for asthetic reasons. Also the basements in my area are just prone to wetness. There is a fresh water spring nearby and its inevitable the basement will be moist. We’re keeping the basement utilitarian and building it as big as we legally can. I’d rather do it once than remodel in 20 years to add a 3rd floor.

You mean a 2nd bathroom on the 2nd floor? There is already 2 doors to the bathroom that’s there. Having a ‘kids’ toilet might not be a bad idea. We wanted to add closets in there too, so maybe it will be easier to add that in at the same time.

I will definitely have my own garage sink/utility tub. The bathroom is right there though. It would be pretty redundant to have another toilet so close. Maybe a partitioned off urinal though…

A dumb waiter is a high priority on Sara’s list. I haven’t found a way to add one in with the software, but I am keeping it in mind for sure. I am going to do as much of the CAD work myself (which will probably be almost all of it) and my uncle Ed (who is an architect) will do the finishing touches and make sure we’re all up to code.

The program is called Home Designer 9 by Cheif Architect and is marketed under the Better Homes and Gardens name.

Well the actual budget is TBD. Like I said, this plan is certainly exaggerated in it’s size. We’re focusing on getting the layout we like, the scaling it back until we get the OK from all levels of government. We’re aiming for $100k but could do up to $150k if we really watch our budget until then. The exterior structure we are going to contract out. Between myself and my family we certainly could do it ourselves - just not in any type of quick fashion. I want it up and sealed quickly. Plus I hate doing roofs so I’ll pass that on to someone else. Everything on the interior will be done by myself and my slave… I mean family. :slight_smile:

Just a forewarning… one of these days I’ll be coming to you with a lot of questions. I’m saving them all up for one giant brain-pick. I know the additional floor is a nightmare for heating/cooling… but I’ll deal with it. We are dead set on having that floor. I am curious how much that open area in the garage is going to hurt as far as HVAC goes too. Maybe I should think about a 2nd furnace JUST for those 2 areas.

After my uncle checks over the plans, I’ll send you some blue prints with just the HVAC stuff and you can give it a look over.