Garage remodel

This is something I’ve wanted for the longest time, and 3 years after moving into my house I finally got around to doing what was long overdue: finish off the garage:)

20’x22’ detached that was heavily lacking on lighting, storage, and warmth in the winter. Let it be noted that I am not a contractor and have merely dabbled with projects like this. I’m sure some will be able to find some flaws here and there with the build, but so far everything has held up fine. Took about 6 weeks and I did about 95% of the work myself.

Before:

First step was to strengthen what will become overhead storage. Doubled up the beams with some 2x6’s and added collar ties up top. Began rewiring of the electric…

My pickup truck…

Insulation was next. I went with R13 which was 4" thick. This allows for a 2" air space for air to move from the ridge vent down to the soffet vents. So far, no ice dams this winter:)

R11 insulation on the walls, several electrical outlets added for convenience. Painted the side window so my business stays my business in here! 1/2" thick drywall on the walls, 5/8" thick on the ceiling.

More…

The next few pics are of the first round of mudding after all the drywall went up. I filled in the seams between sheets with mud, however I think this proved to be a waste since I taped and mudded over the sems later on…remember, the was my first mud/tape job.

Slightly out of order…but cool to see a before and after from the same spot:)

More…

More pix to come…just have to sort through them…but they’ll cover the remainder of the build; mud/tape, paint, lighting, wood staining, etc.

ballin - i can’t wait to start doing that this summer… im too sissy to work in the cold :smiley:

LOOKING GOOD…me and my brother are going to remodel my sisters garage when we move into her new house…

nice, very nice, what are you going to use for heat?

nice!

looks good!

my father and I are remodeling a house this year, and next year we have to put an elevator in another!!!

Good work.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised to find that with the insulation and drywall, along with this mild winter, I haven’t needed to use much heat. When I do I use my propane tank from the grill with a single infrared heating element and that takes the bite out of the air when it’s colder than 20 degrees outside. I had thought all along I’d need some big dog heater…but I guess I’m too much of a man:P

Looks nice, but if you put joists in for overhead storage why did you drywall the ceiling? That looks like it was a PITA to do.

Looks really good. My dad and I did ours about 5 years back. Finishing the walls really lights the place up. Are you planning on making that upper storage area a loft type deal with a pull down staircase? Either way I like how the roof area is finished and open like that. Should shape up to a real nice work area.

^ my guess is insulation?

Pretty cool dude. I’m going to do the same this summer/fall; but I’m not drywalling the cieling area/walls; I’m going to use the 1" silver-faced rigid insulation for the ceilings, and firring-strips/plywood for the walls (that way I can hang whatever-where-ever)

Only part I’m dreading is the complete replacement/rebuild of the roof; going from a 1/2 slanted to the rear to a gable-ended 4/12 pitched to the sides…

looks good

nice work man :slight_smile:

awesome! nice retreat from the main house huh?

I used drywall because I wanted as clean and white of a ceiling as possible. It wasn’t too bad to hang the sheets, just some strategic cutting here and there, and some mud/tape to cover it all up.

No intentions to add stairs. The lofted area has about 5’ of usable depth to it. Standing on a ladder is all you really need to access anything there. I wanted to keep storage area somewhat limited up top to keep as much weight off the roof. Also wanted to open up the space, give it a cathedral style ceiling and have the exposed beams.

I love it! Sooooo much nicer to work out there:)

Looks great. I love this kind of stuff. Are you going to paint the floor? I would highly recommend it, its really nice when oil and other fluids just wipe right up.

Good point, yes I plan to. It was getting into October when I was done with this and too cold to do the floors. Spring project I guess:)

Very Nice.

Wish my garage wasn’t 1.5. bleh.

nice work, i like how you shored up the storage area.

Still laying out mine here. ugh.