The Time Is Coming To Build a House

and its prob cheaper in the long run

Hmmm, I didn’t think of that. That gets installed into the concrete, correct? Maybe I could extent it the whole way to the street and never have to shovel snow again!

Cool house, but heres my thoughts:

1. 100% siding: Gross. Some light stone would look pretty good on there

2. How much snow do you guys get and how long does it stick around? Id be worried the roof pitch wouldnt be steep enough and that the snow would pile up during the winter months and add some unneeded stress to the roof.

3. Have you thought about adding a hallway on the main floor? Walking through multiple rooms has always been a pet-peeve of mine. Another easy fix would be to add a dual staircase that goes into the kitchen. It would be easy to add and saving you from having to track through the dining room although you would lose a little kitchen space. You could also move the dining room to the other side of the kitchen therefor removing a room you have to walk through. The house would flow a little better that way.

4. Radiant heat for the mutha-fucking win. Seriously. Once youve live somewhere with heated floors and a heated driveway you will be miserable without them. Id consider your driveway, garage, kitchen floor and even your basement floors.

1. I like vinyl siding. My girl likes vinyl siding. Stone is more expensive. Vinyl siding wins.

2. Like I mentioned a few posts back the roof is what the software automatically generated (except for the small roof with the skylights). The angle of the pictures distorts it a little bit. I am curious about solar panels too… I don’t know what angle those work best at, etc. That may influence the design later down the road.

3. We both like the wide open-ness of the first floor. Being able to see to the other end is a big plus for us. I don’t mind walking through a room to get to another room. I see it as a flowing design rather than a hindrance. I’m not really getting what you mean about a double stair case, but I like the idea of having a staircase from the kitchen to the 2nd floor. That is how I wanted it originally (basically just rotated where it’s at) but that is one of those arguments I didn’t feel like winning. :embarass:

4. I have on my list to check into radiant heating. I am very interested in doing the garage and driveway at the very least. It will ultimately depend on how much it costs and whether it is something we can change down the road (in the kitchen for example).

radiant heat is neat, but the surface of the floor needs to be high in thermal mass, like stone… you really wouldn’t want electric radiant through wood or tile IMO… you can run the hydronic radiant heat for many different surface types that you may decide to go with in the future… check out PEX.

btw, best of luck… building a house is beyond a massive undertaking… i’m sure it’ll be a long and slow process but in the end, awesome… i’d be suspicious of your dollar amounts though!! unless you way undercut the size of the home or costs of materials are severly hooked up! which i would expect nothing less :slight_smile: congrats and good luck!

I dont have CAD on my laptop so this will have to do

http://i47.tinypic.com/29241uo.jpg

I agree w/ radiant heat on the concrete floors. Especially in garage/basement. Then it gives you wall space since you won’t have baseboards.

My next house is going to ICF (insulated concrete forms). Efficiency and soundproofing are unreal. They’re just more expensive up front.

Just finished wiring a house in dunbar and the building inspector was just awesome. He was a truely a nice guy.

Well there you go. He has a chance then!

Are building inspectors municipality based or county based? Or both?

I researched solar panels earlier this year due to some tax incentives on them. The payback is shit. I was looking at like a 13 year payback for what I wanted and I think the panels were good for 10. Before you even research I also looked at tankless water heaters. Another one that payback did not make sense. And the added level of complexity just wasn’t worth it.

The only thing I will say with Tankless water heaters… you never run out of hot water. those long showers with the wifey are much more enjoyable when you don’t lose hotwater. For that reason alone, I would go tankless. but to each their own, I have had both in my houses and I prefer the tankless.

Oh and good luck with the build. I built my first house I owned and it was painstaking but amazing when you are finally able to move in. Make sure tey do everything you want them to. don’t let even the littlest things go that you know you can fix. Keep them honest and visit the job site every day if at all possible. And let me know if you need anything done with Glassblock like a shower or partition wall or even Glass Block windows in your garage

that is true about the tankless. you just better hope the dishwasher or washing machine don’t kick on at the same time.

not sure what program he is using, but I am using Home Designer Suite 8.0 to do my office…

http://www.wtfhost.com/files/271/overhead%20view.jpg

http://www.wtfhost.com/files/271/overhead%20view2.jpg

http://www.wtfhost.com/files/271/overhead%20view3.jpg

Thats sweet

not sure what program he is using, but I am using Home Designer Suite 8.0 to do my office…

What do you sell blowjobs

Nah… Blowjobs are free… the all male massages is where the money is. thet good old happy ending is just a bonus!

going to be doing contract land leasing for other natural gas companies, doing leasing for myself, and hopefully someday down the line drill a well or two myself once the funds start to come in.

:asshole

looks like asshole drilling to me

In your dreams, Gaymond McFaggypants.