Things to Look for When Buying a S13 240

LOL guys stop being such noobs, his picture made perfect sense. He’s talking about the typical rust spot which is the line going parallel to the car on the side of teh strut towers and asking if it’s expensive to fix or not because if it’s really expensive to fix he’ll have to find a clean one and if it’s cheap to fix he’ll buy a rusted one and fix it up.

Like on this pic, look at the very middle right of the pic, the line of rust on the strut tower…

http://www.streetsports.com/Photos/Vehicles/Nissan/240SX%20built/images/engineinchassis.jpg

Sorry I didn’t have an intro, I’m actually in the northwest area and was directed here from another 240sx forum. I’m currently just looking for a coupe as it seems like a car I would love to have and not just some beater for me to get around. I’ve never seen the coupe until recently and just want to dive more into cars.

I don’t know much so flame me if you want, but please guide me after as I am here to learn. I think BlitzSix knows what I’m talking about and I apologize if I didn’t drop an intro earlier.

Anyhow as kindly as BlitzSix hsa been I guess he has made it more clear. I was just wondering if this rust spot was a big problem as I cannot seem to find a 240sx without this problem. It’d be great if you know an estimate to fix this as, that would rock. Anyhow I appreciate any and all comments. Thanks! :smiley:

great info in this thread, im just going to print it out and bring it with me when I go 240 shopping in the very near future. two thumbs up!

any info about the rust on the side of the strut towers?

it’s not such a big deal the BIG areas to watch for are un the left hand side infront of the strut tower towards the bumper where it attaches tot eh fram rail…this cracks…

the other major spot is right under the brake and MS resiviors, brake fluid is corrosive and eats thru the steel,

The rust of the towers can be sandblasted and new steel welded in easily enough those other 2 are a PAIN!

check it out, thats my old s-chasis, it was as bad as they come, lots of work but it got all fixed…then i found the floor rust and gave up.

hope that helps.

Thanks alot dude that helps a lot, I guess my next step would be to find s a garage and get some estimates on repair costs. Thanks guys I appreciate all the info.

i found a new 240 sx but then again im not really good with the pricing, what is it really worth in dollars is the real question for me right now

--------- KM -------- Dollars ------- Condtion?
1991 - 200,000 — ? ---------------
1992 - 173,000 — $6900 CAD — Clean (no rust?)
1992 - 175,000 — $4000 CAD — Some rust, interior avg, defroster lines busted
1993 - 107,000 — $4000 CAD — Some rust, outter body dings
1994 - 125,000 — ?---------------

dates of April 2006

Share your finds :smiley: and flame me on prices that you think are too high or are a great deal

you relize you can buy a 2001 caviler z24 for under 3000$…you realize the value of most s13’s are under 1000$, if you ever write it off you will see nothing…most insurance companies will look at a winsheild break as a write off…

i honestly wouldnt pay more than 2000$ for any of those, or 5000$ for a s14, even Spilner’s 97 is 10 years old and the blue book value is under 5000$

that those prices are high

i Paid $6200 over 4 years ago for a MINT and I actually mean MINT 93 S13.

to pay that now would not make sence.

thanks all the replies I appreciate it, I know the trade in value is really low but why is it that I can’t find a one for around that price or is this a car that just been boosted in price due to the popular demand?

Anyhow those are my finds so far very pricey and for sure not worth it but thought i’d just like to share a bit. By the way do you mean 5,000 us or cad?

Well, in Brockville there are 3 240SX’s, Two of them are owned by friends of mine, both are 92 hatchbacks. One base, one fully loaded aside form leather. The guy with loaded one bought it a year ago, and since then 2 more have poped up aorund town, he paid 3200 for it, pretty much mint, 1 rust patch rear quarter panel and the spoiler was messed up. He’s put around 1000$ into it, some preformance like a short shifter and new stage 2 clutch, some essenstial stuff, but the rust patch is sitll there and there is still no spoiler on it. It looks mint aside formt hat, and everything inside works. He has offered it to e for 3500$, what do you think of this deal, i’ll ask him every question said so far, I’ll send some pictures, and I’d really like your input on this deal so far.

I just purchased my first 240sx recently and thought that I would share the problems I have found with my S14:

-Timeing Chain Guides (The old “marble-in-tin-can noise” comming from under your valve cover)
These were an easy fix with some tools and the know how. There is a great write up on how to fix this here: http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=105618&page=1.

-The lights in my dash for the climate control did not work. I just pulled the Hvac out and removed the rear cover and one of the circuit boards to get at the two little light bulbs. Often times they are loose and just need to be retightened (as was my case) but if they are broken it is a good opportunity to change them out to any color you want.

-My blower only worked on the #4 setting. This most likely means that you need a new blower motor resistor. I picked one up new for $24 shipped at midwaypartsteam.com.

Edit: I’m retarded

fuck… dead on… been through and fixed em all on various s13’s ive owned…
but now ive relised… get a sick motor set drive it till u crash it then get another shell and repeat. even a small ding is a write off to an old 240sx… unless u go insane with metal fab and rebuild the whole thing out of titanium…

WEAK ASS JAP SCRAP!.. its a love hate relationship

WINDSHIELD WIPER TRANSMISSION: also common on 240’s. Also common on my 240 :frowning: does anybody know anything about these things. the wiper motor is not burnt out but the wiper arms are non responsive.

INTERIOR DOME LIGHT SHORT OUT: goes with the theme i guess :slight_smile:

those prices r way 2 high for stock s13s, look in kijiji or craigslist for private ads, some good deals turn up at times. i bought my 91 auto for $1700 as is & spent $500 for etest & safety. my car has minimal surface rust on i spot below a mirror and a dent in the rear. no rust on frames, underbody or strut towers, hatch was rust repaired and is wingless. its run for 201xxxkms, has the timing guides rattle and leaking power steering fluid, hatch wiper doesnt work either no biggie. good luck finding a good deal on a good s13.

i would like to add a VERY VERY common rust spot manly overlooked.

RAD SUPPORT, the piece of steel the rad sits on, factory dust sheild must be removed to inspect… check it out before you buy an s13…

very informative. nice work