Thinking about building up an import to DD

this is true with the e153 trans. it is one of the heaviest i have seen. the solara would be a good daily. but not a fast daily. it would be a nice car to buy and drive it to the ground since they do hold up fairly well

apparently you dudes are reading a different thread than me.

the poster said he wants a car to BUILD UP for a Daily Driver.

he also said he wants to spend 5k TOTAL… being that 5k won’t even buy you a nicer turbo’d MR2, i’ve deduced that 5k will get you into a “****ty and slow” mr2… which is probably not that far from reality.

I am thinking of a 500-1k car with 4k worth of parts to go fast… if true, i’d shoot for an older VW, Audi or Honda… unless ‘build up’ doesn’t mean go fast or have fun, then sure, go get a solara… i’m sure some high school chick is looking to upgrade to a vw beetle or something!!

that is my point exactly, buy the car, you can put a trd supercharger smaller pully and make close to 300whp on a car thats just a 2 door camry, and still dd the car.

then if thats the route to go with then toyota is definately out of the question…

and solaras are more of old mom cars…

I would get a cheap 240sx and spend the rest of the $ on that and it would be decently fast.

lol

no MR2 turbos unless you want to get worked over by all motor grand prixs at the track. Dan knows all about it :slight_smile:

arn’t 240s rwd? If you are looking for a winter car rwd isn’t the best. I would go with a small honda myself if i was to build one. The aftermarket is huge on those cars, and they are really light so it doesn’t take much power at all to go decently fast.

Rear wheel drive is fine for winter. get some snow tires and some driving skills and youre golden. I drove around a 98 ford econoline e-150 cargo van all winter before empty with no weight and i made it where i was going fine. Some people even argue rwd can be better for winter if you know how to control it.

drive something rwd with the slightest bit of power and it’s a no go…

Exactly, **** RWD for the winter…I had enough driving Mustangs in the winter to want FWD or AWD.

I know this is in the import section- and I hate to be a fanboy- but if you’re looking for something decently quick but good for the winter to drive, how about a GTP or Regal GS? Could get into the 13s pretty easily with either, both are front wheel drive and great in the snow… I put $200 in mods onto my 2000 Regal GS and it went 14.0 @ 99 MPH in complete daily driver configuration.

haha, yah I got treed pretty bad to that NA grand prix!!

x2, especially a mid engine RWD car.

Best bang for buck power 1994/95 acura integra speed. Pick up between 2-4K add a good turbo/clutch upgrade setup for $2,200 go 12.50 every day, 100 times a day.

thanks for the input guys
right now im just dying to take my maro to the strip lol.

+1 on the inetgra, I used to own an 05 LS. They’re cheap, performance parts are everywhere AND inexpensive, and they’re easy to work on.

+2… hondas are very easy 2 work on… and relitively cheap… find something with an LS in it and go the turbo route… im sure theres probably 1000’s of civics/integras with ls swaps, possibly even turbo’d for 5-6k on honda-tech. im pretty sure thats the most reliable car/motor you can get for the buck… when joe can go 11’s on a stock ls… that has to say somethin…

I agree on a 240sx -s13 chassis Its fairly cheap and you could do a ka-t build for like 2 grand tops on the stock ka24de , and pull like 250whp out of it which in that car is plenty think power to weight ratio when you compare it to say a camaro with the lb9 putting out 190 hp and weighing 3025 giving it a power to weigh ratio via using the formula power/weight of 0.0628099173554

the 240sxs weighing 2500lbs and a hp of 250hp
using power/weight 0.1

keep in mind the higher the number the better in the above formula
Below the lower the better

all of this translates into
the camaro pushing
15.92 lbs per hp

as the 240 pushing
10 lbs per hp

the imprezza would be closeer to the camaro in stock form as it would be pusing
16.9 lbs per hp in the stock power form
But as you stated you want a awd/fwd car to build up so I would suggest a 1995ish subaru imprezza 2.5 RS they have like 165 hp stock awd and can be tuned fairly easy as there is much aftermarket support for them. and you could see number closer to 250 hp with some modifications, far as making a 11 second car out of it I dunno about that but it would be way more fun then driving a camry as a dd. In my opinion camrys/solaras are dull old people cars made for reliability and comfort not a 11 tuner car. When it comes to imports and cheap performance as for drag racing its cheaper to by some 350 powerd car and do carbs etc. to it. But when it comes to good dd fun and waaaaaaay better handling cars that add a grin factor on the twistys, sport compacts are the way to go

Yeah, because a light rwd car would be the perfect winter ride :rolleyes:

thank you bill ny but we have already agreed that a 240 is not a good dd given winter circumstances.

First, I said without a turbo or nitrous. Also, I’m not saying it can’t be done and I completely believe what you’re saying, I’m just trying to point out that it’s not like most people can build an 11 second honda to putz around in on a daily basis, especially if it’s the first time they’re approaching a Honda project. Most people aren’t going to build what you built Joe, you put together 11 second cars from junk you have lying around.

I missed that!:beer: