TIG Welders

I am about to purchase a new TIG… I was wondering what TIG welders any of you guys have… if you like them… have any problems, etc…?

I really like the Lincoln Precision TIG 225… I have been welding with one for a few weeks now and it seems like a great machine. We have always used Lincoln MIGs down the shop here and never had one problem. Anyone using the new ESAB or Miller TIGs? Opinions, problems? Before I go and spend $2k+.

http://mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.aspx?p=39581

i have a licoln idealarc 300 def over kill but been a great machine i use it often as i will be welding a roll cage with it all day.

have been hearing good things about miller 250 squarewave machine.

also if you are going to PRI show this year in december i would see if you can pick one up there. i got my MIG through there and was considerably cheaper. just a thought

I have a square wave lincoln tig but I still cant weld so I cant shed any light on the situation. When I was looking into welderes alot of people like the miller syncrowave 250

The Miller squarewave 250 is a nice machine… but its a lot more than the Lincoln 225. Im sure thats because of the water cooled torch which would be nice… but I am not going to be welding all day on it like you would at work. I am trying to spend not much more than $2300.

It seems the Syncrowave 200 is comparable to the Lincoln Precision Tig 225, the pedal seems smaller and higer, the Lincoln is lower and wider… it will not tip and is really easy to use. The pulse preview feature is really nice feature also.

SpoolinSteve - I have always been able to MIG weld but never really TIG welded or had the need. So about a month ago, my dad and I (he can only mig also) decided to take a class together at the Valley Votech, my dad knew the guy that taught the class at night, so we signed up. They are using the Lincoln Precision TIG 225’s there. The 1st 2 weeks, I was like fuck this… it was hard, I was getting nowhere. Then the 3rd week I just got it… its like riding a bike… hard as hell to figure it out, but once you get it flowing, your all good. Yesterday I got it 100% and am confident in my welds. Now aluminum is another story… I still fuck it up… although one time last night, I did lay once nice bead… but tried to do it again with no luck, so I am going to be working on that hard next week.

The class was only $80 for 10 weeks and they have all new welders… can’t beat it for the practice plus free material. Next week I am going to try and bring some roll cage tubing there and practice. I want to buy this welder because I am going to build a cage for my Rhino… and if I do that… the welder will pay for 1/2 of itself!

Jeff… do you have any scrap roll cage tubing laying around? PM me if you do, they can be tiny pieces. If not… any idea where I could look for tubing and what size / thickness do I want to practice on? Thanks!

Don’t pick one cause of how the pedal feels initially. You’ll get used to that shit no matter which one you pick. I have a slightly older Lincoln 185. Its a very nice machine. I have also used the 225, which is the same machine with a touch more top end. Still very nice. If I had to do it over again I would not have purchased the lincoln though. I tried out a miller at their booth at a car show once. If your planning on doing any AC then definately get a machine that has Freq controll. The mid sized lincolns do not. It is a VERY nice feature. Also the water cooled torch is PRICELESS!! I have upgraded my 185 machine and love it.

Get the miller.

we only have millers down here, and i definitely like them better than my old lincoln machine. then again, my lincoln machine was way cheaper than the miller we have here. either way, give pat a call, i know he has a miller dynasty 200dx (i think) sitting in the trailer that has never been used. i’m sure he would like to unload it. just needs the runner package from miller to make it operational. all he bought was the machine with no torches, gas hookups or controls.

PM’d I can probably help you out

Thanks bro! I will defiantly check that out, that is a nice welder! I just sent him a txt, cause you know he is still sleeping :rofl:

Miller or nothing. But thats just my opunion.