Tips on saving at the gas pump.

The tips are pretty much worthless, let me put on my Julie math hat

the tanks are underground, so the temp variance will be minimal even on a hot day. You can feel this by when you pump the gas the handle will become cooler. In addition this variance is pretty small in quantities under 20 gallons. For a couple thousand gallons it would add up, but in our cars the amount against the loss of convenience would not really make it a factor.

These are the numbers that I found as defined by US gov.
231 Cubic inches at 60 degrees = 1 gallon gas
234 cubic inches at 80 degrees = 1 gallon gas

I would doubt that gas would change outside that variance in underground tanks, but here is the math at 3 dollars a gallon.

(3/231)*100 = Percentage of difference about 1.3%

20 gallons of gas at 3 dollars = $60
601.013 = 60.78 or a potential savings of 78 cents. So assuming you fill up 2 times a week you would save at most .7852*2 or $54.78 a year. Wow that is 31,000 miles a year at 15mpg… so lets half that and call it $26 bucks a year assuming the gas is measured at 231 ci/g and is pumped at 80Degrees F every day. which I doubt would happen all year round. So realistic savings would be more like 10 bucks a year at most.

Hmm a little larger then I thought but the math works out, yes it is a difference but even in the extreme I do not see it as more then a $10 savings a year if you drive 15k miles a year.