Tire Size question

[LEFT]Alright, I’ve been doing some calculations and are trying to figure out what size tire, type whether it be drag radial or something else and horsepower/torque.

The plan come summer is a 96 Impala SS, with either, I’m still debating, a extremely built lt1, or an ls7 swap with some minor work. Regardless the ultimate goal is to get that fat pig in the 10’s. So probably 900-1000 RWHP.

one of the issues im running into with my physics calculations, is the width of tire for around 1000 foot pounds of torque. The coefficient of friction of dry pavement and rubber are good, and i have a rough number.

If some of the high horsepower rwd people could chime in, as to what width, brand, and type tire they use, and what power that are putting down.

Roll racing is different. I would like to do Digs in this car ideally. What i have found in the Impala SS forums, is that you can Squeeze a 400mm tire in the wheelwells without rubbing, with some suspension modification. Anything larger requires tubbing, i do not want to tub this car.

Thanks in advance.
[/LEFT]

im only a first year mech eng student so i dont have anything really constructive to add to this thread, except i dont think that any tire even a 3xx/xx/xx will hook up from a dig with 900 rwhp. but i do think this is a really cool idea :tup:

i can almost guarantee that you don’t have any idea about the “physics calculations” you think you know what you are talking about. It’s a lot more than T=FxD and F=ma. Secondly, If you already know the largest tire you can fit, and you aren’t going to tub the vehicle, then get that tire and be done. Thirdly, no idea in this thread that will ever come even remotely close to fruition.

just get some drag tires… M/T’s

Newman i love how you have doubted me from the day i signed up here. It makes me laugh, and if and when i have this project completed, or even started. we can play. :slight_smile:

i have no doubt that we will never, ever, “play”.

Alrighty

Sums it up on tire tech here. If you arent planning on getting tubs, and if you’re planning on doing this in a '96 Impala and if it happens (that’s a shit ton of IF’s) you’re not going to get much if any traction.

Damn, thanks for the tip mpd, and this is nowhere close to even being started. becuase i love debt to much

are you looking for some tires that will last some miles? if not some nittos 555 or bfgoods street and strip will work for your needs

Yes actually, the idea was to have a good street tire, that could also hook when needed. 5-8k miles would be fine given the amount of abuse they will take

it all depends i have had tires that last 30000 miles and i have had them last about 10 same tires just how much your plannin to race

In my minds eye, figure take it to the track whenever i had time/money other than that. all around street pounding.

i will agree with newman. someone who doesnt know that much isnt going to build a 900hp motor. what power adders u doing. ur looking at 20 30 k for a motor. u also change ur mind on ur vehicle once a week which is a sure def of the etalker.

:word:

I can guarantee that you are not doing any of these calculations by hand, and if you are you are wrong.

dawt

So, I was thinking about buying a jet sometime soon. I was wondering if anyone here knew of a good place to get a badass helmet for it. I don’t want the lame-o surplus ones, those are for posers.

You’d better be taking that from a dig. Only biplanes go from a roll. :mamoru:

Oh, and there are a few helicopters that will smoke you off the dig, but you should be able to catch them by the traps.

Yeah, I’m going for top end. Can’t hook up with the afterburners until after about 150.

You have issues alright. :roll:

I’ll stop the trainwreck you started.