Racing slicks and drag tire school

school me on this, I’ve got probabaly 500 1/8th mile passes under my belt, but no official 1/4 passes.

I’ve never ran slicks on the strip ect.
I heard alot of this and that over the years, dont run slicks with radials in the front only bias ply. ect

So with that said, if I run radials in the front id need at best out back a drag radial?

I went 80 in the eigth on sreet tires, so im new to all this. I figure some of the big dogs can step in. I’m looking at 10s for next year, so I need to figure tires out accordingly.

I plan on running slicks, so I’m just trying to figure out front tire seizes, and tire styles, what works for you ect

Why don’t you just from MT drag radials?? They should be more the enough for whatever your running.

I went 1.51 on a on 255 drag radials.

I’m looking for more info like this, and also to learn all about slicks, tire combos ect.

a little knowledge never hurts. thanks lz.

You should probably plan tire height vs whatever gear your running and what you plan to trap at.

It sounds like you’re in the building stage here…and if that’s the case for a track car I wouldn’t go anything less than slicks and skinnies. The skinny tire offers less rolling resistance and the ligthest weight.

Now, if you have intention to hit the streets every so often then I’d go with the drag radial…and keep the front skinny.

First off is the vehicle manual or auto. Then lets see rear gear ratio and trans setup.

watching this thread!

vehicle is an auto
2 speed powerglide
The rear for now is a 3.73, I plan on jumping up eventually tho, when I get a better dif

I’m in the buy everything I need stage for the next year.
I’ve been reading the rule book and I’m trying to pick a class that suits my budget and what i’m building.

The plan is to get an 8 second cert on the chassis, so it has potential way beyond the motor and the driver. That way as I grow as a 1/4 mile racer, I wont have to build it twice.

I was leaning more tword slicks, and just switching the rear wheels to drive it, which is what made me ask about the radials in the front with slicks in the rear.

its not going to be a highway cruiser, but to skip around town in. probabaly like 100 miles a week

Well I am not sure what you plan to trap or what you plan to rev until however on auto cars the mt dr’s have had great results due to the less dramatic shock from a foot brake or trans brake. You would want something in 26" until you can go to a much more steep gear since you are using a powerglide.
http://www.f-body.org/gears/
I used 1.76 and 1 for trans and 3.73 for rear 26" tire and 6500rpm limit and you are good to 135mph.
On these you should hook well, they are still radial, and you can drive on them some.

I myself use et drags but I only race manuals.

great info. I dont plan on reving this motor much past 6500 so it should work out well.

I was intially planning on running a 29 inch tire in the rear.

I was having trouble picking a front tire size.

I have 15 x 5.5 skinnys but thats probabaly going to change

i went 1.3 on my MT DR’s. plan to go 1.2’s next year. They are a very stable tire which is important to me as it seems the same for you, but they hook like a mofo

damn thats a nice 60

thanks for the info, keep it coming.

I ran 28x11.5 et streets with radial skinnies all year with no problems. An et street isn’t a true slick, but it’s close enough. Cut a 1.40 60’ on those and a 1.48 on a 275/45 nitto. The et streets were fine, but they were a little shaky at higher speeds. I will be running a radial next year on and off the track. The goal is to cut a 1.2-1.3 60’ off the back tires.

ive ran 1.5’s on 26in slick. if you have a weak or fragile rear end slicks will be your best bet. if you have a bullet proof rear then DR’s will be the safest by far. I run radials up front and slicks out rear even though its not recommended. slicks tend to feel less stable while dr’s have a more stable feel.

Ugh stability is one reason im considering a mt dr this season. I am sick of feeling all wobbly at 130+ on slicks.

lol, i just pretend im driving thru a tornado to cope with the swaying.

Ugh FML now I am thinking of what to buy. This sucks because I have new 275-35-18 street tires that i wont even be able to have fun on at all. so now i need like an 18" dr for the street and a slick for the track. Oh and more wheels. FMLLLLLLLLL

you can mix the tires fine.

is this your Gbody? whats the setup now, if its not setup that well already? And your just looking for a 8.50 cert you can get a nice roller right now cheap.
whats it got a mild steel 6point and a 10bolt?

its not a gbody, its :snky: :snky:

I’m looking at the 7.99 1/4 cert, so 12 point cage ect ect.

I’ve used slicks,MT drag radials and BF goodrich drag radials.

The all hooked nicely,the slicks lasted the longest though.