miss matched tire question

what are the consequences of using drag radials in the rear and normal street tires in the front? ive always heard that you shouldnt mix and match tires but never got a straight answer of why. im just curious because i might run n555 r’s in the spring and i have a spare pair of potenzas for the front wheels.

Drag radials have a lower cornering stiffness and thus provide less lateral force at a given slip angle.

i dont really plan on doing any road racing or serious turning. mostly just highway runs, digs, and cruising. should i really worry about it?

As long as you dont try and do any hard cornering you should be fine. Just keep a good eye on both sets due to differences in alignment/treadwear. Also keep a mindful eye on the weather. Personally, I’d get a set of spare wheels and run the DR’s only at the track.

I think hes looking for more traction on the street, not just the track.

DR’s dont really provide significantly more grip unless heated (and I dont just mean spirited street driving). He’d be better off with MSPC’s or RA1’s (thought I wouldnt recomened a DOT R for someone on the street) or a taller and wider street tire. Besides, woody’s car doesnt make enough power to spin on command in all gears. Just need more throttle control if he’s getting wheel spin.

all the reviews that ive read on the nitto 555r’s say they improved traction a lot on the skreets. i realize they work their best when hot but i would think i’ll get better grip than my kuhmo 712s or any other basic street tire.

just get DRs on all fours :stuck_out_tongue:

ummm, no. They add a lot more traction without heating them up. I could break the tires loose NA with street tires in the back from a 20-30 roll. With a set of nittos i can hit the bottle from the same speed and not spin at all.

:word:
i remember when sabia had freeks vette…he had the g-force DRs and w/ traction control off the car would almost always stick…although they only lasted a month or so :stuck_out_tongue:

i agree with jeeves here. i had nitto r2 extreme’s (same compound as the DR only with a stiff sidewall) on the car since i bought it in july. now in that time i added heads and cam. the r2’s held on very well even when bald (ask turbols1ss about these) and the street tires are as useless as tits on a nun, no traction even if i nail it in 4th. so if you think dr’s offer no benefit over a street tire you are sadly mistaken.

If you read what I said, I said “significantly” more grip. I didnt say they offered no benifit. If you arent doing “punches” and actually use more throttle input than 0% 50% 100% (it’s not an on/off switch) you’ll be FINE on the street with street tires. Besides, Woody’s car doesnt make anywhere near the same power as turbo LS1.

so being able to handle over 140tq more then street tires isnt significantly more? And last time i checked you go the fastest the sooner you can go WOT, so ya you can peddle the throttle so you dont spin, but while you are doing that, the other guy is pulling away. And what the hell does turbo LS1 have to do with anything?

okay i don’t just punch it considering i know how to control my throttle, try rolling into it to get traction go ahead. Then when you break em loose anyways you can shut your mouth(i’ll let ya drive the POS). And if you read what i said i didn’t say turbo used them. I said ask turbo about my r2’s. I beat him three times out of the hole with my beat ass r2’s. With the street tires Chuck’s TBSS becomes a problem because all it does is spin. I am only making about 400hp/400tq. You don’t have to try and demean people because you think you know everything. We do know how to drive our vehicles contrary to what you may think. We do understand different throttle inputs. Someone like you should have known the r2’s are roadcourse based tires, maybe you could hvae gathered that i turn like a dickhead in my car also. Last i checked turning wasn’t simply an on/off. :bloated:

Its MPD, it doesn’t have to make sense.

i cant take u serious… u drive an fbod… hahaha

j/k… umm i dont feel like rereading this thread but were talking fronts are the same as fronts… rears are same as rears? right? (theses are tires on cars btw… )
/

A A

B B

or

A B

B A

also i am religious about keeping the same tires on the bike front and back… i’ve mismatched before and shit goes wrong… however i have 3 differnt tires on the malibu currently… and i could give a shit… DD is differnet than race car i suppose

:tup:

id imagine, unless you are pushing this car in turns it wouldnt really matter… and the DR’s would provide MUCH more traction than the streets… i will attest to bills car being retarded with street tires on it

i have dr’s on my hatch and its a pretty good difference on the street but its a lot bigger difference when u actually do a good burn out get them hot and launch.

pushing in turns the dr’s help also.like i said i went from 4 r2’s to 4 stock streets and the diff is night and day. dr’s help your acceleration out so much. Maybe bill is just retarded for putting streets on a 700+hp vehicle :lol: