miss matched tire question

Look, I’m NOT saying drag radials are not going to get more grip, even on the street. I’m saying cost vs benifit, street vs dedicated tire. You know what I’m saying, and while it comes off as alittle edgy, I think you can agree with me. While a drag radial is going to provide slightly more traction on the street, you arent going to see significant gains until you get some universal heat in them (and not just cruising at a high speed, or cornering heat). Woody would probably be better off spending his money on a wider, taller, street tire which will help him get traction. Not only that but his car, being a turbo car, has a bit of lag anyway which will help him get traction whereas your fbody has instant torque that even I’m jealous of. (Hence the LS1 purchase). We’re saying the same thing, there’s just a bit of a language barrier here. As for the N2’s, I dont know anyone who runs them as a track tire, which is why I dismissed them. Everyone I know runs Hoosiers, 710’s, MSPCs, or RA1’s and just recently Ive been hearing good things about Nitto NT01’s.

Good thread. I was going to do the same thing this spring.

Here is the only issue you MIGHT run into …

If the car has idependant susp. … you can wear out the struts faster having miss matched tires … Im not saying it will happen to you or that it will happen in 2 days 2 weeks 2 months 2 years … I just know that this is a big factor in premature strut failure …

it has happened to me on two VERY different cars …

I think this is what your were getting at …

just my .02

okie dokie then. i can see where you are coming from. what exactly does he drive? maybe that would have helped this thread right away =). the r2’s never required a burnout for better traction so even cold vs cold night and day. i too have heard good things baout the nt101’s and i am debating buying more r2’s or going to the nt101.

woody has a 300zx twin turbo :slight_smile:

http://www.mturck.com/NYIRP/2006-09-12/DSCF4959.jpg

Sleepin at the lights :smiley:

my issue on the bike with street tires vs race tires… is that i get about 2k miles IF THAT out of a race tire… and about 4500 on the other tire and with race tires costing 350-400 a set… and street tires costing 230 shipped… not to mention the $60-80 charge for mounting and balancing… i think ill keep running streets… changing tires 3x a season is too much a pita for me… id imagine… tire changing costs are similar to cars and dr’s cost as much as street tires… and personally my “street competition is non existant” so i dont care to push that hard on buffalo streets… alas

back to cars. :frowning:

not really, you can get nittos for $150 per tire (275/40/17), which is cheaper then a lot of the “good” street tires. Plus depending on how often he plans on going to the track, will depend on how much it would be worth getting a seperate set of rims and tires just for the track.

just buy slicks for the track. unless the 300zx rear is weak? thats what i plan on doing this year. slicks for the track and r2’s or 101’s for the street.

i miss match.

night and day difference from the BFG DRs to badazz’s ecstas (street tire) i borrowed. that, on top of the fact that my DRs were defective (bald in less than 2 weeks.)… i mismatch because there is no reason for me to put a sticky tire that wont last up front

As long as its not awd or on the same drive axle, you can mismatch all day long. My 555r are nice and made a big diffrence. Just don’t do a 4 gear smokeshow in them or you can kiss them goodbye!

that smoke show rocked my socks btw.

If I’m not mistaken, you plan on driving your Z daily in the summer correct?

If that’s the case, don’t miss match your tires. Imagine your on you way to your girlfriends house and it’s poring rain… and your running late. Now try to explain to your girlfriend that your late because the tires you have don’t get great traction in the elements, but you just HAD to have them in case you caught a race on the highway.

Get a pair of stock TT rear wheels and get some slicks for the track if you want to launch it. Or, run DRs on the stockers and swap them on if you plan on playing street hero for a night. But don’t drive on them around town.

i DD my TA all summer, mostly highway. I ran nittos all year. They were pefectly fine in the rain. The only time they were a little iffy was at the end of the year. And by iffy i mean i drove 60 instead of 70-80 in the rain.

Use common sense and you wont have problems.

I’ve been reading a lot of reviews on that tire, and everyone seems to say the same thing. The only time people had problems with them in the rain was when they were bald. And that pretty much is going to be a problem with any tire that is bald.

+1

i was planning on doing this eventually…obviously not soon, because we all know 300ZX’s dont make any tq…especially mine…but, when i do, it’s just gonna be an extra pair on some stockers…

stock wheels are also a lot lighter than the wheels you run daily i would assume…if you’re serious enough about performance to consider drags, why not put them on lighter wheels?

yes because they tend to wear out in the center faster then the outside edges. So if you feel the edges they can seem fine, but the whole center can be bald.

Sleeping at the light and the window down?!?!?!?!?!

This isnt a cruise to the beach surfer boi!!!

Get some DRs on the stock TT rears and get ready to get your ass handed to you :stuck_out_tongue:

Real Deal Style:

http://onyxz32.sagemind.com/realdeal.jpg

But he would swap them on and off with his street tires / wheels. If he planed to run anyone on the street, he’d just throw on the slicks. Once we were on the highway and seconds after he ran someone, it started to POUR rain… it wasn’t too much fun.

i definatly wont be DDing it anymore. that was a one time thing. now that i actually have a second car, i dont have to. it will be more of a nice weather / weekend car, as it should be. i also plan to be making a bit more power this year via meth injection. im shooting for 500 wheel. traction was a big issue on the street last year on shitty kuhmos, and im positive it will still be an issue if i stick with street tires unless i go with really wide rims. getting sideways when i hit full boost was fun for a while, but not so much anymore.

id rather not have to swap wheels to go from race ready to cruising mode. i dont like to have to pull out an excuse when i run into someone that wants some fun. i hated it when i had to say ‘i cant race from a stop, my tires are worn. highway?’ i want it to be ready to go whenever i want, not have to run back home to swap wheels.

i dont plan on taking the car to the track VERY often, but more than a few times this season im sure.

thanks for all the advice guys, it helps a lot.

Hydraulic jack, 12 volt air compressor for impact gun and extra wheels in hatch, swap at the lights.

bahahaha