Title and Lien Question v. EFF me....

So quick question for all those who have bought and sold more motor vehicles than me.

When I bought my motorcycle, the dude I got it from had a lien on his title. He gave me the lien release, and I paid him in full, went on my merry way to the DMV, and registered my bike. I gave them the bill of sale, proof of insurance, the lien release, and the old title signed over to me.

So far so good…

I get the new title in the mail, and I must not have looked at it closely, cause I just filed it away in my strongbox. Now, two years later, I’m getting ready to sell the bike, and the old lien is on my goddamn title…the one from the old title. It’s from some credit union that I’ve never heard of, and certainly don’t have a loan thru.

:fu:

I’ve tried to check the status of the title via this:

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27278&highlight=lien

but the website is seemingly unaccessable right now.

How f’d am I? I can’t remember if the DMV takes the lien release with the old title, but I don’t have it in my files, of that much I’m sure. I could have lost it, I suppose, but I’m usually pretty good about that stuff.

Do they take the lien release with the old title?

So will I have to pay the $20 for a new title even though it was the DMV’s error?

How long does it take to get a new title?

Am I going to have to get another lien release from the company on the title?

Thanks…

lien relase from the company will take 7-10 days after you fax them front and back of the title/ give them info ect. I went thru it on a civic.

Then you pay 20$ and get a new title. which takes 2 - 8 weeks

Had a similar issue. Just contacted the bank and they gave me a new lein release. I never did anything with it except gave it to the person who bought the car off me.

yea, just contact the bank then give the lein release to the next person registering it.

:word: