Title issue...:/

So I picked up a Golf from a kid on Dubsinthebuff he was moving needed it gone by Jan 1, willing to dump cheap. so went and looked at it, it was alot of a mess… but figured i could use a winter project, he offered to deliver.

So he droped the car off we unloaded it (non running) pushed it into the garage, he said he had the title but had packed it up with his moving stuff and would bring it by later we talk for a wail he showed me the things he had tried to get it running and seemed super nice. so i paid him and awaited his call for the title…

With the car not running I wasnt in a huge hurry and I slowly peaced the car back to gether…

Replaced fender
Replaced ECU
Replaced timming belt/water pump
Replaced plugs/wires/cap/rotor
Replaced wheels

and she now runs like a champ here is her pic:

BUT low and behold the last owner CANT COME UP WITH THE TITLE…
he had never registered it as it never ran while he owned it. the kid he bought it from who i have now spoken to, never titled it as it never ran while he owned it, and he is clueless on who the guy was he bought it from…

So filing for a lost title could be an issue…

WHAT DO I DO? ( pauly??? )

The vin on the car is
3VWFB21H6RM010480

LOL its probably stolen…

Carfax it? and I think all you need is a bill of sale.

it’s stolen

probly stolen or part of it are stolen. where was he from and how much did you pay?

dont assume the worst saying its stolen, show the bill of sale, if someone wants to come recover it take off the wheels and all the parts and have them drag out the frame with a tow truck

That’s my car!!

If i was worried it was stolen I wouldnt have posted the VIN and I would have parted it already, the car had a title Ive talk to the last 2 owners it is currently misplaced. I have no problem walking into the DMV with the vin. but is there even anything I can do? Bill of sale is great but wont help me get a title the only thing looks like I can do is get a notice from the DMV saying the car is abandoned and thats good for junking it but with out the title. I cant ever register it :confused:

make a track car :slight_smile:

if someone was selling a car, and moving at the same time, logic and common sense would tell you to not pack away the title to the car he was selling

has he found the title? or is it MIA. because if he somehow now lost it, it’s def stolen.

i know every person who i have boughten something from, i may not remember their name, but ill have their number, along with a receipt (if it was a car) and all paperwork

a carfax would make this very simple, if u get the title, im sure the previous owner would not have a problem with resigning it, or whatever needs to be done

ya Ive kept in contact with the kid I bought it from. we still talk on the phone HE HAD the title, he packed it up when he packed up his desk and now he cant find it, he is worried his wife may have thrown it out hes married and has twins, ive meet them all including his brother, there not TRYING to screw me.

Just headache with the title. and as far as i know if I can find out who Registered it last I need THEM to file for the lost title. trouble is its gone threw 3 owners never getting registered because the car was never running. I FULLY plan to make it a track car. BUT bringing it across the Canadian border unregistered and insured is a headache I would not want to deal with as I track at Dunville.

If the Last registered owner will come up on a CARFAX can some one run a carfax for me?

as long as there are no vins anywhere and you say its a track car they should let you bring it over on a trailor, i know Ive sold race cars that went to canada without titles.

IT has VIN’S and I dont plan on scratching them off that just seams Shaddy… there has to be a away to get a title.

i see what you’re saying
hopefully he finds the title :frowning:

The DMV told me who my old truck was registered to so I’m assuming they could tell you also…

/\ well I’ll take the Vin to the DMV tomarrow see if they can help…

did they give you an address or just a name… I hope this car wasnt owned by a bob smith or somthing that would suck…

Damn that’s a tough spot you’re in. Good luck with it. I’d go to the DMV and tell them the story and see what they can do.

wow man that sucks to hear, good luck with everything there has to be a way to get a new title

This is what your going to have to do:

Go to the DMV and give them the VIN

Tell them you have purchased(or will be purchasing) the car and that the title for the car was misplaced and that you KNOW that the only way you can get the new title is if you have the OLD owner (the person the car is still titled to since there has not been an updated ownership from the last two owners) gets a replacement title. (Last time I checked a replacement was $40)

What the other kids did was illegal. Its called title jumping. since they are not a dealership they by law can not have a filled out title and never fill in “Buyers” section of the title. There is no proof of ownership by the kid you bought it from since he never titled the car or registered it, all he is now is a middleman to help you contact the owner the car was last titled too. He could actual get fined for title jumping.

ouchh shitty situation, hope it works out for you.

I may be able to help, but not till monday
pm’d