Buyin a bike from someone who lost the title??

has anyone ever gone through this process? i might be able to buy a bike but the guy lost the title. Is he going to have to file for a new title and wait till it comes before we can do this completely or is there a way that we can just sign everything over and have the new title come to me?

anyone have any experience with this?

you need him to apply for the title… if he never registered it then whomever owned the bike prior will need to apply for it… then he must recieve the new title then you can register it… after a week of applying for the title you can call the dmv and put a rush on it… and it might speed it up a little… but who knows… dmv is slow :frowning:

what kind of bike are you looking at now???

When i sold my car the guy who bought it had misplaced it. I filed for a new one and got it in about 5 days. Cost like 20 bucks.

run a police report on the vin…she could be stolen.

if the owner applies for the title online it only takes a few days. just dont do it by mail cause it will take forever.

when I bought my ninja the owner had lost the title, called in (said he had to call the dmv and wait a ton of times before he actally got through)

came within like 5 days

ok so it won’t be too bad. i’ll talk to him and have him do it online.

Will - it’s just a crappy starter bike. it’s a 1980 honda cb650 but it’s in great condition and has like 10k on it so i figure i’ll screw around with it for this summer and get something nice next summer. plus it’s only costing me $300 so why not.

I’ll second checking on the vin first. Bikes are easy to steal so I get real untrusting when I hear “I lost the title”.

yeah but that’s why i won’t buy the bike until i get a title. simple as that. i’m not gonna buy a bike that i can’t get the title for.