took my new trail sled up to dynotech research...

thought about putting this in the unofficial snowmobile thread, but figured everyone likes dyno graphs so i would post it up here instead :slight_smile:

2009 cfr 1000r (for those not in the know with sleds, it is an arctic cat 999cc 2 stroke batteryless electronic fuel injected snowmobile. stock these come in ~170hp and weigh ~480lbs. fastest “out of the box” snowmobile ever produced.

engine wise, this has a D&D y pipe, expansion pipe, v force 3 reeds, timing key, and boondocker box. also has the larger snopro intake tube.

i took the sled up to dynotech research to make sure the tune was safe and to see where there could be improvement, turns out the sled was previously there with a previous owner but we put it on just to check things out and get some data.

195.8hp at 7700 rpm, 133.8 ftlbs at 7600 rpm. for the combo on this thing, those are very good numbers, a little higher then usual. this things got more power then a honda :stuck_out_tongue:

tune is spot on, safe for trail riding even below 0. jim at dynotech said that if i swapped out the intake tube, i could pick up another 2hp, and if i wanted to lean it out some for racing i could pick up another 3-4hp…but i decided to keep it safe. im pretty happy with this, now to just get some traction in it and fine tune the clutching thats already been done. this sled will do 120+ on the lakes easily, and get there pretty fast.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/149333_545423275476752_1626797297_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/421663_545423278810085_1394931878_n.jpg

Like!

hot damn

This makes 2x the power my DD Honda civic does. :lol:

awesome!

a lot of guys out here run turbos on their sleds… the new RMK PRO is 417lbs (dry)… the boon docker turbo kit w/ intercooler at 10lbs (race gas) makes 250 hp… with 163" track with 3" lugs… talk about instant hookup. 0-60 in a second or so.

More HP than my daily driver. '09 Legacy NA.

Fucking awesome. Must be a blast.

:tup:

Very nice! Thats a whole lotta power to harness!
Whats a run on the rollers cost?

jesus

Now you just gotta find somewhere around here to open it up.

Kinda what I was thinking. It’s cool you have all that power, but I can barely open up my 600 on WNY trails.

nice!! To crazy for this area but nasty for lake riding.

Too cool. Post up some pics.

Is it trail friendly? Sad that you make more HP at 6K than mine makes total.

sweet.
mine is a few hp less than yours lol

that thing must RIP!

insane how it goes from 137hp to 195hp over a range of 1000rpm (6500-7500). what’s power delivery like below that, laggy/lethargic? any 2 stroke i’ve ever ridden had to be revved to the moon to make power, but that seems like a crazy on/off switch. i’m sure some of the spike is absorbed by the “torque converter”.

silly question, if it’s batteryless, how does it start?

Sleds are stupid fun. I rode my old roommates '98 Indy 500 triple a few times up to 65mph and it was a 7/10 on the pants pooping scale. can’t imagine 120.

Recoil. Only need a battery for electric start and not efi.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

That sled would be fun with a hot start button. Lol

thanks guys

lol @ no where around here to open it up. theres plenty of areas… fields, seasonal roads, etc. i also have 2 grass runways behind my house where i do all my testing ~4000ft deep of property. plus think about how much quicker it accelerates. this thing has more ftlbs of torque before the powervalves even open then what alot of smaller sleds do at peak :stuck_out_tongue:

cost at dynotech is 125 per hour during the week, 150 per hour on weekend. i ended up being 200 bucks.

tune is very trail friendly and safe. these need ~6/10th lb of fuel per hp. the tune on it now could actually be leaned out if i were just racing but i chose not to incase i go out on a sub zero day. we tuned when it was around 15-20 degrees out. had zero knock.

the batteryless fuel injection is pretty cool. this is actually my 3rd sled to be batteryless efi. when the sled is cold, the first pull of the recoil gives the electrical system just enough juice to “wake up” the second pull starts it and the system runs off the stator. after its warmed up its a 1 pull start. different windings for the efi system and lighting/acc power system. arctic cat first came out with it ~1997. polaris actually hired one of arctic cats engineers to come in and figure out their efi system lol. its pretty nice, you go out to garage and start sled, come back inside to get dressed, then by the time you go back out the sled is all warmed up and ready to ride. no babying it with the choke as it warms up. as for power delivery, theres so much torque that clutch engagement is actually at ~3000rpm (compared to 4500rpm in my old zr800 and our race sled f7). the sled doesnt have a “peaky” power band at all, it just pulls. the reason theres a jump in power at ~6500 is that is when the powervalves open up. (powervalves are a servo operated valve that when closed the exhaust port is smaller for torque, as rpm increases the servo opens the valve which makes the port larger for more power in higher rpm.)

anywho, i swapped tracks in this the other day and did my usual meat grater studding. running a 128x14x1" hacksaw track. i put in 204 1.325 ss studs with lightweight tall alum nuts and lightweight powerplate backers. stud protrusion beyond the lug is ~9/16" - 5/8". this next weekend im going to add another 51 studs to bump the count to 255. thats 1 stud every lug on both outsides and 3 studs every lug down center. 5 studs per lug total and hopefully its enough. did some suspension adjustment as well, will be going riding tomorrow so ill see how the clutching is and if it needs some work. this sled will be set on kill, all the time, every time. haha.

ill get some pictures tomorrow during our ride.

bump.

been tuning this some more as ive been riding and racing it. this thing is a freakin riot on the trails. whole time im on the throttle the skis are dangling in the air, even at 100+ lol. havent topped it out yet, but its been 115 and still had quite a bit more, im guessing around 125mph radar.

turns out the tune was actually pretty fat on the bottom/middle. i have taken quite a bit a fuel out and got things straightened out after talking with dale at d&d racing and jim at dynotech, and i am looking to put an afr guage on the sled. the sled is quite a bit quicker and runs alot better now.

i ran the arcade snow drags, too bad i didnt change the tune before that. took second in the king of the trail class. i actually had a quicker et, but the guy got me on the tree and won by .022. he had an improver f7, ported, piped, strictly race. gearing, suspension, chisels, reprogrammed ecu for 500ft, race fuel, etc. im content though, considering i was beating up on a race sled with my trail sled, and that was before i got the tune straightened out lol.

i also ran two events in the shcra hillclimb/hilldrag series, both were at KB. i ran the improved/ss 1000 class at both, and took 1st both times. between the two events, i outran some turbo cats, procross, ported switchback, etc. so far in the races for that series i am undefeated :slight_smile: turns out that change in tune was a big help :tup:

im currently looking for sponsors as i am looking to put this sled on the asphalt and go bracket racing on the tar. the sled is capable of mid-high 9’s 1/4 mile, but i would be mostly running 1/8 mile at lancaster for points.

heres some pictures of the sled from some races, and also of it when i went riding with some buddies. last one is a “new and old” when i rode with my friend i sold my last sled to. turns out that old zr of mine actually had 2 of his friends trade in their sleds for new 800’s. he was letting his buddies ride it, and all of em said theyve never been on a sled that fast. poor guys have no idea. lol. then again i spent over 2 years tweaking and tuning that sled, so it better damn well run good lol.

http://www.jakefrenchphotography.com/Other/Snowmobile-Drag-Races/i-XnRfLxk/2/M/IMG_0014-M.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/861055_567504673268612_1853909054_o.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/859432_562134810472265_760205508_o.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/820874_558357447516668_370761865_o.jpg

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/858639_564620193557060_1985205447_o.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/842877_554160007936412_1741980841_o.jpg