Toyota to buy GM's Fuji Heavy Industry shares

Oct 5 (Reuters)

Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.T: Quote, Profile, Research) will buy shares in Japanese auto maker Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (7270.T: Quote, Profile, Research) from General Motors Corp. (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research), Japanese national broadcaster NHK reported on Wednesday.
The report came minutes after Toyota said it would hold a news conference to announce a basic agreement between it and Subaru car maker Fuji Heavy on a business tie-up. The two companies will jointly brief the press at 6:30 p.m. (0930 GMT) in Tokyo, Toyota said. Fuji Heavy President Kyoji Takenaka and Toyota Executive Vice President Mitsuo Kinoshita will attend.

GM owns 20 percent of Fuji Heavy.

[http://today.reuters.com/investing/financeArticle.aspx?type=mergersNews&storyID=2005-10-05T064647Z_01_TKV002217_RTRIDST_0_AUTOS-TOYOTA-FUJIHEAVY.XMLTOKYO](http://today.reuters.com/investing/financeArticle.aspx?type=mergersNews&storyID=2005-10-05T064647Z_01_TKV002217_RTRIDST_0_AUTOS-TOYOTA-FUJIHEAVY.XMLTOKYO)

:gotme:

Fuji is the parent company of Suburu. :shrug:

I got that from the reading, but I’m not sure whats going to happen… was hoping you had some insight.

Well GM isn’t going to be able to make more Saaburus. Which is sad, because once again they’ll be based on Opels that nobody really enjoys driving.

But I wonder why GM is selling off their shares.

No more Saab 9-2X I guess.

In before Honda buys up some stock in Mitsubishi Motor company :smiley:

I don’t think Honda would. They’re very small, actually.

Damn, I was hoping if anything GM would increase their stake so eventually Suby would be included in GM employee deals. Wouldn’t mind owning a WRX or STi for the daily driver.

The Saabaru was a hell of a bargain too. $19,xxx with employee pricing when they had it.

Yeah they were going for 19,700 from what i heard. That is an amazing price for a car=wrx

wtf

Yep. And therefore no more GM discount on a “Subaru” through that route…

Toyota Motor Corporation will purchase 68 million shares, or approximately 8.7 percent, and GM is selling back the other 11.3 to FHI.

So will this have anything to do with what cars Toyota is making in the future? Or are they just buying share for the hell of it? I hope we dont have somthing like Geo Corolla again…

OT: why do you have negative karma :frowning:

I called Kingsario a cockblocker…

apparently speculation is that GM is hurting financially and they’re just trying to dump some assets at a fair market rate…

I think GM wanted to turn over some cash since they forsee poor 3Q earnings. We’ll find out soon.

Rumor I heard is Toyota bought Suby because Suby has a patent on some advanced battery technologies, and Toyota wants to work that into their next generation hybrids. Could be interesting.

AWD toyotas for Teh win

“The New Scion tC. Available with Suburu All Wheel Drive” does have its possibilities.