trailer registration question

So i need to move my trailer from plattsburgh to albany and the reg has been expired for years. I have the old reg but can’t find the title. Can i just renew the old reg?

I need to know this too. I just towed our dumpy little trailer sans reg, but i am ever so curious because this is my exact situation.

Should register in Maine. It is unbelievable cheap.

trailers don’t have titles, just registrations.

Mine is a 28 foot enclosed haulmark. I definitely got a title when i bought it

mine is a 4x8 and just has a registration. I registered it as a homemade trailer because I bought it without a registration.

I had to take it down to Predel’s and put it on the scale and they filled out a form for like $12 that I took to the dmv to get it registered.

Right there are different rules for home made trailers mine is 10,000 pound gvw

Registered my tandem out here in Oh and it cost me all of $63

I don’t think you need a title for a trailer in VT under a certain weight limit. I know if a vehicle is 15 years or older you don’t need a title.

If it’s unladen weight is over 1000 lbs and 1973 or newer it’s titled. If the reg is expired over a year it’s not renewable. Basically you need to do an original registration and you unfortunately need the title to do that. If you can’t find the title you can bring the old reg into DMV and get a duplicate title.

the registration is the title for a trailer

Not if it weighs over 1000 pounds and is a 1973 or newer. Then it is titled I promise.

So I can’t just bring the old reg to an office and get a new one? The trailer hasn’t changed owner.

I know but once a reg expires over one year it’s non renewable. Therefore you need to process an original where you have to present proof of ownership which is your title.

seems weird. why the hell do they make everything so difficult.

Because NY is a pain in the ass. So many of our regulations make no sense at all. You’d think a money hungry state like NY would make it easier to just take the customers money.

i actually didn’t have to get a duplicate title. Just a new plate and registration

Oh sweet! You found a good office then! They always have discretion to process. Getting the new title would have been the “by the book” way to do it but they must have actually checked the record (rare usually they are lazy) and saw you were the owner and let it go. Which is what anyone with a sense of common decency should do, I just have to give you the answers my procedures have which are usually a big hassle.