Register your trailer w/o Inspection

Hypothetically speaking… if you have a trailer, you didn’t necessarily build, but you registered it as a home built trailer and your registration is up for renewal… you can do it online without an Inspection number.

If someone did that today, they’d let you guys know how it worked out though right?

If that does work, it would save you the time and energy of walking to the trailer in the snow, and getting the number off of your legally inspected trailer, like I would have to do.

I’ve had my boat trailer registered since 2000 without ever getting it inspected. I just leave that field blank and they keep sending me a new sticker each year. Renewed by mail and the last couple years online.

yea i dont know how the home made part plays into it…but i’ve never once gotten my jetski trailers inspected, and i get the registration/sticker every year. My parents actually got into an accident with the boat trailer last summer (which wasnt inspected) and the cops never questioned it.

[quote=“Jack”"]

Hypothetically speaking… if you have a trailer, you didn’t necessarily build, but you registered it as a home built trailer and your registration is up for renewal… you can do it online without an Inspection number.

If someone did that today, they’d let you guys know how it worked out though right?

If that does work, it would save you the time and energy of walking to the trailer in the snow, and getting the number off of your legally inspected trailer, like I would have to do.

[/quote]

it works.

http://www.nysdmv.com/trailer.htm

I’m pretty sure once it’s inspected once it’s probably just like any other trailer. AKA, send the state money and they send you a new sticker no questions asked.

Maine trailer plates FTMFW

I have a trailer that was purchased without a title and then titled as homemade. All I needed was the weight and I was able to register it. No inspection.

I’ve had the same dirtbike trailer for 3 years and have only got it inspected the first year. Just renew your registration they dont even ask for the inspection.

[quote=“Jagermeister,post:7,topic:39194"”]

I have a trailer that was purchased without a title and then titled as homemade. All I needed was the weight and I was able to register it. No inspection.

[/quote]

How no inspection in NYS? Thats exactly what I did.