Registering a trailer

I bought a boat back in August and it came with a trailer. I got all the paper work for the boat and nothing for the trailer. The guy I bought it off of let me use his plate to take it home but he wanted me to drop off the plate after I registered it. (the trailer does not have a title)

When I went to the DMV they told me I needed the Registering Card from the seller. When I called him he told me he could not find it and that he’d meet me at the DMV and we could figure it out there. (he just needed to fill out some paper work) Well something came up and we both got busy and this didn’t happen. Now I can’t get a hold of the guy to get this done.

:meh:What do I do now? Am I screwed if I can’t get a hold of him? Can i pretend I made the trailer or something? Should I just continue using his plates until I get caught?

u have to find him, & he has to apply for a lost title

i am pretty sure you could say you made the trailer… i believe my buddy did that. i’ll ask him about it

Yes, apply for a homemade trailer. You will have to take it to a certified weigh station and get a certificate stating the weight.

Make sure there are no “old” vin numbers on it.

yeah youll have to “make up” a vin.

+1
I have to do that with mine. They put crappy stickers on with the VIN but they usually fade over time. I could not find the VIN on mine so I asked at DMV and they said to just register it as homemade.

DMV will assign a VIN when you register it as a homemade trailer.

i register a jet ski with a lost title when it wasnt even lost…i forgot what i said…i think i just didnt have a title and then they ask for different info or just go with the homemade trailer…there pretty easy and realy dont care but the question i would ask is will the trailer be register in 09 or 08?

I wouldn’t reg it til 09

thanks guys

You could file for lost title by yourself using his name, but you need to know the person and date that he bought the trailer from as well as location.

I went the homemade route on my trailer because the widow couldn’t find the paperwork.

I don’t think you should do that with yours.

You have the guys plates, hold them ransom until he goes to the DMV with you. Just because something came up and you couldn’t go the first time, doesn’t mean you can’t call him again and do it now.

If you can’t get a hold of him you’re not trying hard enough.

Bump.

I may have found a cheap trailer for my jetskis but the current owner doesn’t have a registration for it. The owner claims I can take it to get weighed, then bring that to the DMV with a sales receipt and I’ll be all set…

Looks like a few people here recommended doing this. Anyone else with recent experience?

No personal experience, but i have looked into the same thing. Register it as homemade. DMV assigns a new vin and registration for the trailer. Seems easy enough, but you just never know with NYS. Good luck.

Done it a bunch of times. Get weigh slip at scrap yard, fill out form, tell them you built it out of stuff you had. Vin assigned, plate issued, done. $27 and 15minutes last time.

^^ yep easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I’m shocked it’s that easy. I need a new trailer for my boat and was going to buy one next spring. Now I think I’ll just drive down to the marina on a busy saturday, take my pick of the all the empty trailers, bring it home, knock the vin plate off, give a quick coat of paint and register it as a homemade trailer.

Being serious this does explain why trailers get stolen so much.

Yeah I was skeptical that it was that easy. This thing is cheap and old so I’ll give it a try and report back.

Anyone have a scale recommendation?

R&R on William has always been nice to me

• Updated - - -

why bother painting it? I know people with 3-4 trailers, one plate and two wing nuts…

haha nice bump.

I ended up finally getting in touch with the guy I bought it from and took him to the DMV with me. But it was a headache. Man I miss this boat.

Anyway, I was given a utility trailer a few years back. No paper work, just an old plate. I tried reg this trailer, and what a PITA. Went to 3 DMV’s they all told me something different.

Ended up register it as homemade like these other guys. DMV assigns a new vin and registration for the trailer. Went to a scrap yard also to get it weighed. Was so much easier.

:tup: