First time buying a trailer, need some info.

Is a Harbor Freight “assemble yourself” trailer consider “homemade”? Can anyone give me a run down of how to get it on the road

Thanks! :thumbup

I believe they come with a VIN. I bought one off ebay before built it and reg’d it no prob. I’m pretty sure they have a vin, but if not just file as home made.

They come with the paper work. You can’t buy a homemade trailer for a retail store.

Anything with a vin or manufacturing tag isn’t classified as homemade…however the rules in Maine where I register my trailers are very loose…homemade or CUSTOM. Custom being the loose term of it as you could technically buy a trailer, debadge it and make some slight changes, and then classify it as custom.

Either way, if you have to reg any trailer as homemade. As long as it’s under 1k lbs, you just need a weight slip.

Fill out the homemade trailer and registration form. I suggest going to a small DMV. I went to albany to reg it, they had me get 5 forms. Then I went to troy, they threw out 3 of them, lol.

I got my trailer without paperwork and I took it to Predel’s in Schenectady and got it weighed and got a weight slip and went to the Schenectady DMV and registered it as a home made trailer.

They asked me for receipts for parts but I just told them I built it from parts of a few trailers I had laying around and they gave me a registration.

Easy and done in less than 10 minutes.

With a store bought trailer you dont have to worry about any of that.

So I bought the trailer today, it not only cam e with a VIN but also a certificated with all the info about the trailer on it, all I need to do is take it to DMV with my receipt and get it registered.

Thanks for all your input. :thumbup