Picked up a little trailer, looking to get it inspected

So i bought a HF trailer just to pull light stuff around town.
I need to get it inspected, can I bring it to any shop for this?

I have never had a trailer inspected and I’ve been towing them around since I was 16. No one in my family has ever had a trailer inspected either. At least twice I’ve rolled into police checkpoints with a trailer and they didn’t care. Last year I got stopped by an Erie County Sheriff because the plate for my snowmobile trailer had fallen off without me noticing. He just looked up the registration status and when he saw it was registered printed out the form I needed to apply for a lost/stolen plate and sent me on my way. The online trailer registration renewal doesn’t even ask you for the inspection number like the paper renewal does.

So youre saying registration > inspection?

I’m with him. I feel like that’s more for “bigger” trailers.

X…

Do whatever you want. DOT will rape the fuck out of you with fines if you get caught

Thats what im thinking

No registration could lead to you getting arrested. No inspection could lead to a fine.

I register 4 trailers in my name each year, never had a single one inspected.

www.dagweldingandtrailerrepair.com/

D.A.G Welding & Trailer Repair of Buffalo NY offers custom welding services, trailer parts and custom trailer fabrication. We are dedicated to high quality …1 Google review · Write a review[TABLE=“class: ts intrlu”]

5071 Transit Rd, Depew, NY 14043
(716) 465-2212

[/TABLE]

Very good friend and he inspects trailers if your out this way. Hes my guy for all my Jetski trailers.

If it’s registered it’s just a no inspection ticket, same as your car.

I’ve had at least one trailer since I was 16, and have had 2 for the past 5 years. $20/yr * 21 years = $420. 20/yr * 5 years = 100. So with $520 saved I’ll take my chances with the risk of getting a $100 ticket one of these days, especially since I was just pulled over last year for a missing plate the cop still didn’t care about the lack of inspection.

Wait, so you got pulled over and DIDN’T get arrested or frisked!!! You didn’t get tased or thrown on the ground and/or beat up and thrown in the back of the cop car? They didn’t bounce your face off a steel bench in a cold cell and call you names? I don’t believe it…

a trailer inspection is only $6

Still ahead then, but not by a lot. Each year I’m $12 more ahead though and not dealing with the BS of getting it inspected. :slight_smile:

Does my trailer need to be inspected?

Yes. An annual safety inspection is required for a trailer. A DMV-licensed inspection station that inspects passenger vehicles and other light-duty vehicles can inspect a trailer. The inspector will give you the inspection sticker. Carry the inspection sticker in the vehicle that tows the trailer.

From the DMV Website

Take trailer registration and $6 to your favorite car inspection guy. Hand him $6. Acquire sticker. ?

Dan

I never inspect my trailers, either. I was recently pulled over with a trailer. They asked for the trailer reg. I didn’t have the paper but told them the reg sticker was on the plate and they were happy. It was a trooper so I would think those dicks would be extra thorough.

I don’t know what you’re using the trailer for but DOT sits at Home Depot and lowes waiting to pull people over. If anything is not legal you will get fined. If you’re worried about not passing inspection you will get fined. Just get it done and worry less.

First I’ve ever heard of that. I know the state police used to pull commercial trucks over on the 290 and if things didn’t check out they’d go to the home depot/walmart lot on NFB just off the 290 for further inspection, but I’ve never seen DOT just stalking HD/Lowes before.

I’m guessing there is a big difference in their opinion on personal trailers vs things used for commercial :slight_smile:

All of our stuff is registered as personal
it’s like riding around with no front plate and thinking you’re going to only get a no front plate ticket if you have 10 other things illegal with your car.

Take it to valvoline for 10$ and be done with it, no inspector really gives a shit.