utility trailer inspection question.

anyone know if the 4x8’ utility trailer needs to be inspected? i registered mine a few months ago and was told the inspection is required. can someone confirm it? will be taking it down to nyc nextweek and wanna to be sure.

My 5x8 required an inspection. I just had it done by my mechanic.

I’ve had numerous trailers for many years. Never inspected but pulled over for registration. Will probably get a ticket tomorrow.

where to get the inspection? auto shops?

Contact the shop to see if they do trailers. I don t know a great deal about it (obviously) but I think they need trailer specific stickers.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Hope this helps.

http://nysdmv.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/570

thanks for the link.

register it in maine, google for info

Trailers do need to be inspected. if its registered it needs it. any car insp station can do a trailers under 1,000 lbs. cost is $6.00 the sticker you get is a safety only sticker with the “T” punched out. Make sure you bring your registration to the shop as they will need to scan it into the NYVIP(inspection) machine

I’ve had a utility trailer for years, and never had it inspected. Never got pulled over or in an accident, so I’m not going to say don’t do it, but generally nobody will pull you over for no inspection. Like 1QIKZ, I will probably get a ticket tomorrow.

I hate to tempt fate, but I’ve been pulling trailers (boats, quads, utility trailers) since I was 16 (and I’m old) and never had one inspected. I always keep up to date registrations on as well as made sure the lights were working before every trip and I’ve been pulled over once by State Police as well as rolled through multiple checkpoints and never had a cop mention the inspection. The time I was pulled over it was 11pm, I’d been driving for 6 hours and the state trooper said I was weaving a little bit. Explained I was a bit tired and about 30 minutes from my destination and after looking at my license and reg for the truck he sent me on my way.

Like 1qikz I’m probably going to get ticketed for it this weekend now. :slight_smile:

Boston valley state police barracks puts out 100% enforcement once and a while on utility trailers, easy $75+ ticket… For $6, the average inspector does not look that hard, other than blinky lights and tires.

Lets see, $6/yr for the past 18 years of driving = $108.

Yep, I’ll wait till I get my first ticket and then consider myself still way ahead. :slight_smile: