transmission is dead, what to do!

I’m a nub with cars.
my POS Dodge Neon 2002 needs a new transmission. The place I brought it to can get a used on for $1266 ish. give or take a couple hundred for labor.
BUT I also brought the car in for an inspection and the check engine light was on, and I brought it to Midas. They don’t specialize in transmissions.
Is that a good deal for used transmissions? Should I just drive it to a transmission place and see if they can fix the transmission rather than replace it?

ugh, I’m poor and have $5000 left on the loan. another option is to buy another car or lease and just put the $5000 on the new car loan and have HUGE payments.
unless someone wants a black 2002 dodge neon with a shit transmission and one fog light for $5000

lol this post is all win

dude I wouldn’t spend 1300 on a tranny for a car worth ~$3000 that you own $5000K on.

Bad Bad deal

Trade it in on something else? lol

Go to one of those places that says “we’ll pay off what you owe on your old car!”

Get a second opinion first if you can.

I know, I know, Fmylife…
so, know where those places are that will pay what I owe in Buffalo?

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&_trksid=p3841.m39.l1313&_nkw=neon+transmission&_sacat=

Neon tranns are worth 200-400 bucks

Ask user carnut how much he would do it for… he is a great guy

yeah, you should be able to get a used tranny from a junk yard for very cheap, then the labor is the only thing that would cost you, find someone that will do side work for you, or ask on here, im sure someone on here is willing to do a tranny swap for you for much cheaper than that and get some side cash!

Are you 100% sure you need a new transmission? Can you describe the problem for us?

she says 1st and 2nd are slipping, they said the check engine light was for the tranny, also she says when in revers she went no where fast!

tranny is fucked!

X16151751751

Yeamabu, get back in your cube!!! /crackwhip

I put it in reverse the other day and it went no where till I hit the gas a bunch of times.
slips 1st to 2nd and chugs a bit when slowing down.
I brought it in to see what the check engine light was for.

Ic, I only ask because the trannies in the Neons are actually kinda solid and rarely break under normal circumstances but anything can happen. However I have heard of solenoid pack failure being a common culprit behind transmission problems and it will put the car in limp mode. Just a little heads up, hope everything works out for you.

Audry, PM Don(carnut) he can do the work for you im sure and you can call around junkyards around here and ask for a tranny quote.

also focusinprogress is always looking for side work. his schedual is a little busy now with him having a full time job but its worth a shot

I would definitely go the junkyard trans route. Or better yet, check the neon forums (I’m assuming such a place exists) and see if you can find a used one real cheap there. A week after I put my old Fiero up for sale it blew the 2nd gear syncro. I found a used trans for $75 on the Fiero forum from a guy in Rochester, tossed it in the back of my truck, and swapped it myself in the garage in about 7 hours with nothing just jackstands and hand tools. Paying someone on the side for the labor shouldn’t be THAT expensive, especially if they have air tools and could do the job pretty quick.

Have you checked fluid level? I know that on the 4L60E that is in the car in my sig if the level is low by a quart it behaves much like what you’ve described with your Neon.

neons.org

its got everything you need and need to know.

get gap insurance and roll it off a cliff