Turbo BMW

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=29&article_id=10753

Interesting

wow…that hasnt happend for a while…they got more power of their NA 6cyl. ///M motor…

They should stick to what they know best, building NA horsepower.

IMHO it seems underpowered for a turbo six.

Only 47 extra hp? Odd.

Did you guys even read that article?

Why, you ask, would BMW go to all the trouble of making this complex turbo engine when a V-8 would be a simpler and purer means to the same end? As worldwide petroleum reserves decline and prices go up, efficiency becomes paramount, even for performance and luxury vehicles. As worldwide emissions standards become increasingly strict, high-performance diesels — recently thought to be the next big thing — become less feasible. Mercedes-Benz also recently announced a piezoelectric direct-injection gasoline six which is naturally aspirated — for now. Dr. Thomas Weber, Mercedes-Benz’s top engineering and development officer, confirms that turbocharged smaller-displacement engines are in Mercedes-Benz’s near-term future as well. Turbos are here to stay.

Edit- and the responses to this thread is a perfect example of why american “muscle cars” (ie everything srt minus the viper) still sell.

It’s still a waste of time and resources. They should have put forth that work on a TT deisel making 300hp and 450ft-lbs. Supposedably they have a TT deisel in the works actually, but I will be more impressed when I see that in the US than this. This also coming from someone who loves their cars and motors as it is.

The US will never see diesel engines in cars again till it wakes the fuck up.
In 07 the TDI will no longer be avaliable due to tougher emission laws.
So I will take my twin turbo underpowered 6
because it is what the states needs with the lack of diesel support

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/article_1639.shtml

why in gods name would they do that? they wouldnt be able to sell it in the states.

did you even think before posting that?

some of you just dont get it. its not for performance, this is not a fucking sti or an evo. its to make the engine more efficient.

because the US is not their primary market and diesels make up over 50% of the cars in Europe

so in answering your question, yes.