Typhoon Question

With two kids in car seats, taking the family for a ride in the f-bucket is damn near impossible. I am ready to sell the TA and get a more “family friendly” summer vehicle.

That said, I am thinking about a Typhoon. A search shows that there may be a couple of Typhoon owners on Pittspeed. So, I ask, can you fit a kid in a car seat in the back seat, and not have the front seat all the way forward?

Also, I have read the buyers guide on SyTy, and see the typical issues are ball joints, front half shafts, trannies, cladding clips. Any other problem areas?

Thanks.

One of the biggest things I can think of is finding one in decent shape for a good price.

ya…

also u should have plenty of room for 2 carseats…

ehhhh keep the TA, they will gow up faster than u think, then u will wish u had it :slight_smile:

But the Typhoon is a good choice

yea you can fit car seats in the back
http://www.syty.org/old/pics/brochure/tyseats.jpg

as for problem areas there can be alot of them, you have to remeber that the newest typhoon is 14 years old.

:idb: there interiors are soooo nice

there is plenty of room for 2 car seats in the back.

Problems would be.

-tranny
-propshaft (stock one sucks)
-engine is tempermental (once you get it to run good, dont touch another bolt)
-keep the boost conservative (for a DD, i wouldnt run it past 10psi)
-heat wrap everything (the downpipe and manifold melt everything) plug wires, starter wire, heater hoses, wiring harnesses
-dont break the cladding… please.

would make a sweet DD.

Hey Pat, are they any inherent problems with the air ride in tha back?

i dont think its gonna be a DD

SoLow is correct, as he saw my DD being loaded on onto the JJ’s tow rig.

91blazins10, where did you find that picture? I’ve been looking all over the net for an interior shot like that. Realize newest is old, and am (sort of) ready to deal with it. Hopefully, I can find a decent one at a good price. I need to sell my TA first, and then hunt a Ty down.

Aero, thanks for the info. It supports what I am reading on syty. Are you still looking for a DD?

Thanks to all whao have replied so far!

Yeah, ssuperchargede has a nice SSEi, i’m tryin to get ahold of him for a phone#.

but yeah, i’m in th market

Aeroking:

Put pics of my 94 TA on your LSX… post:
http://www.lsxperformanceparts.net/forums/showthread.php?t=378

Let me know.

Yea it usually doesnt work at all or if it does its not that great, my typhoon doesnt have it anymore.

heres the link http://www.syty.org/old/brochure.html

Typhoons are evry nice but very tricky n tempermantal, for a DD for ur family i would def say no.

dickstarbucks knows a ton about them… just don’t ask him thou cause he’ll never shut up. lol j/k

most of the tys i see for sale have had engine fires. :dunno:

there is a sy/ty forum on turbobuick.com try there for some info

He speaks the truth:doh: But still not a good idea for a DD with kids

Thanks, will look on turbobuick. Maybe Dick Starbucks will chime in.

Sleeper, not a DD. “summer only” ride. My dd is a 95 gmc k1500.

go to syty.net

Yea, I have been lurking around there for a couple of days now.

I personally never had any issues with exhaust heat melting anything under the hood. The tranny went the first day I owned mine. The dealer took care of it, though. Changing plugs is a pain, but not impossible.

Most Typhoons were lowered in the back end (because they all sit too high in the back) when fairly new & the air suspension is usually disconnected. If you modify the link for the switch (the switch is mounted to the chassis & there is a link that connects it to the rear axle), then the system does not work properly. It is too sensitive for normal use & starts raising the body on small bumps & stuff.

It’s original design was to raise the body when weight was put into the cargo area or more people. This keeps the driveline angles correct when weight is added.

This being said, you can disconnect the system (just two clips on the linkage), and not worry about it.

I drove mine as a DD for 3-4 months & put alot of miles on it during that time (about 10k-12k). If you can past the fact that it is just a Blazer & has all of the Blazer “trouble” items (rattles, poor fit/finish, rust problems, driveline issues IE: ball joints, front CV joints, etc), then it can be a nice DD. The 4.3L in the SyTy is a time bomb ticking, too.

The fact that Typhoons run sub 13 second times in the 1/4 pretty much give you reason to put up with most of the issues. Probably the best launching vehicle I have ever driven or owned.